Politics even in the subculture of "furries"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics even in the subculture of "furries"

This is a very interesting article about how "nerd groups" like sci-fi fans, cosplayers, gamers and furries (people who enjoy creating anthromorphic animal characters and dressing up as them) can be new grounds for the recruitment of neo-nazis and alt-right members.

As America grapples with the fallout from racist violence in Charlottesville, furries across the land are dealing with their own Nazi problem.

I've been aware of sci-fi and comic conventions for many years, but this article points out how social media and the Internet brings politicalized threats everywhere.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    This is a very interesting article about how "nerd groups" like sci-fi fans, cosplayers, gamers and furries (people who enjoy creating anthromorphic animal characters and dressing up as them) can be new grounds for the recruitment of neo-nazis and alt-right members.

As America grapples with the fallout from racist violence in Charlottesville, furries across the land are dealing with their own Nazi problem.

I've been aware of sci-fi and comic conventions for many years, but this article points out how social media and the Internet brings politicalized threats everywhere.
    I don't know if I wish to read the article. I don't quite trust the MSM when they talk of Trump or the alt-right. However, its certainly true that gamers and gaming became politicized a few years ago with "gamergate". In fact it gamergate probably more than any other issue became a cause celebre for the alt-right, alt-lite and new online media.

Comment

Hi, Jason,

It is up to you to follow any link or read any article, of course, but there is nothing anti-Trump in the article. The thing I found most interesting is that neo-nazis like to look for recruits in the "nerd cultures" because there "are lots of sad, lonely, unhappy guys" there.
      Maybe so, but I know lots of smart, employed guys and gals who go to fannish conventions.

Gamergate isn't something I know much about, as I don't play videogames, I'm afraid.
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Left-wing organizations, of course, never try to recruit the young and alienated by offering ready-made cameraderie and a feeling that you're participating in an important movement.
        - Ginger

Comment

You mean like antifa/BLM idiots tearing down historical statues?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
            You mean like antifa/BLM idiots tearing down historical statues?
            Hi, Harry,

I suppose you are referring to this incident in Durham, NC:

Seven people have been arrested in connection with the toppling of a Confederate statue during a protest in Durham, North Carolina, authorities said.

It was of a generic Confederate Solider, not even a known historical person. In my opinion, it was merely a statue to institutionalized racism, and only partially to historical events.

All other Confederate statues which have been removed were done so by local governments, not by groups of individuals, idiots or otherwise.

What is worse, pulling down an inanimate statue, or making threats of bodily harm to living people via social media? Both are crimes, certainly.
            ---------------
            ---------------

Comment

Hi, Harry,

I suppose you are referring to this incident in Durham, NC:

Seven people have been arrested in connection with the toppling of a Confederate statue during a protest in Durham, North Carolina, authorities said.

It was of a generic Confederate Solider, not even a known historical person. In my opinion, it was merely a statue to institutionalized racism, and only partially to historical events.
              No one had a problem with statues of "institutionalized racism" when a black man was running the country. Now that Trump's in office suddenly all of these losers need to make a stand.

All other Confederate statues which have been removed were done so by local governments, not by groups of individuals, idiots or otherwise.
              They've done it before the idiots can tear them down, that's why.

What is worse, pulling down an inanimate statue, or making threats of bodily harm to living people via social media? Both are crimes, certainly.
              Are you saying that antifa haven't done that either?

I know one thing, anti-historical ideology like this sets a dangerous precedent and creates even more of a schism.

Comment

Trump is a white supremacist, that's why someone must take a stand.

Robert E. Lee was a traitor, too, by the way-- put that in your historical pipe and smoke it. I'm done with "politics" on forums, there's no point to it. Sorry, all.
                ---------------
                ---------------

Comment

And a group called "Black Lives Matter" isn't racist?!?!?
                  - Ginger

Comment

Why do you think wanting equal treatment under the law is racist? Sincere question.

I'm a white 60+ old woman who recently joined the Diversity and Inclusion Council at the college campus where I work. I don't have all the answers.

This book is a great place to start inquiring into the issues of racism:
                    Waking Up White (And Finding Myself in the Story of Race) by Debby Irving.

Thanks, Ginger.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------

Comment

Trump is a white supremacist, that's why someone must take a stand.
                      Proof?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                        Proof?
                        Good point, Harry, I don't suppose we'll find a Nazi uniform in his closet, especially with a Jewish son-in-law in his family. But the "good people on both sides" comment gives me pause. But yes, that comment should have been acknowledged as an opinion.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

That was a pretty bad article, honestly. Just seems to me that all it says is that when any group gets large enough it will get its share of *******s. Nazi Furries *******s (have been around for years, they aren't anything new), Gamergaters who are scared of everything with a vagina, folks addicted to nostalgia of their youth and enraged by any deviations in remakes, dudebro horror fans who spray themselves with homophobia, fantasy book readers who had stokes because one year most Saturn award nominees in one category weren't white whites writing about sweaty manly men being manly with ladies who are so top heavy they can only walk in lower gravity... you name it. Nowhere is a breeding ground for those stupidities, we just have a far more diverse culture that allows everyone to indulge their geek instantly and these are some fairly large subcultures that have been around for a long time. Seeing some emboldened *******s is to be expected.
                          The problem, to me, is we keep giving these subgroups attention and acting like they are worth handwringing over instead of doubling down on mocking them. I mean, you want to wear a fur suit and get your yiff on, I don't judge, you do you. Do it with a swastika armband or Confederate flag, damn straight that's a viable mark for public mockery. Instead there's a Newsweek article treating them as something other than ridiculous. It's the same thing we did with the Gamergaters, culturally we acted like they were a force capable of more than talking **** on YouTube when we should have been invading their Call of Duty games and emasculating them even more.
                          Last edited by Shaggyrand; 11-26-2017, 10:02 PM.
                          I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Hey, Shaggy, thanks for reading the article! Great post, by the way.

My fannish experience is mostly through TV and movies, being in local clubs for Star Trek or Doctor Who, going to media and sci-fi conventions, later participating in online lists and forums for favorite fandoms.

I remember silly "feuds" like Trekkies vs. Trekkers, Star Trek vs. Star Wars, classic vs. reboots, etc. Nowadays it seems as if the division between factions in the wider world has spread to our hobby realms, which were supposed to free of outside influences.
                            ---------------
                            ---------------

Comment

Good point, Harry, I don't suppose we'll find a Nazi uniform in his closet, especially with a Jewish son-in-law in his family. But the "good people on both sides" comment gives me pause. But yes, that comment should have been acknowledged as an opinion.
                              1. "they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they are rapists."

2. "Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on."

3. Pardoning a sheriff who has been convicted of criminal contempt of court and racial profiling (Obviously "law and order" does not apply to racial crimes).

4. Too many twitter fights to mention with non-white citizens. If they're black, they're fair game in Trump's mind.

5. Re-tweeting British Nationalists. And let's put this particular items into context quickly (since this is today's news): in 2016, Omar Mateen posts something on Facebook that basically shouts "ISIS", then went on to kill innocent people. The year before, a man in England shouted "Britain First" and then stabbed a British MP to death in broad daylight.

6. His Warsaw Speech, the kind we have not heard here in Europe for 70 years.

7. Crusade against Central Park 5, even after they have been exonerated.

8. refusing to accept evidence that Obama was born in the US.

9. Then moving on to asking for Obama's college transcripts. After all, how can a Black guy be so smart to get into Columbia?

10. His comments/actions on Puerto Rico compared to his comments compared to Texas/Florida.

11. I could go on, but I have to go back to work
                              Last edited by Svensson; 11-29-2017, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X