No announcement yet.

DNA error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the circumstances surrounding the shawl's provenance made the DNA identification shaky to begin with, but that's a pretty serious mistake to make. Was the bulk of Edward's case against Kosminski hanging on the DNA, or was there any other supporting evidence?

Comment

G'day Harriett

Welcome to casebook.

As I read it without the DNA Mr E presents nothing new but some wild speculation.

Even with the DNA there's not much, I think I've seen at least 5 explanations that could make it all mean nothing even if the DNA was 110%.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
        Hi Guys

While I understand that given developments a number of you might feel able to qualify the above statement

I trust that those of us who 'speculate'.. might be a little cynical of your claims.. given that Dr J's is a recognised expert..and however you dress it up..well you guys just are not?

Is this basic error a matter of fact? or of opinion?

and if so.. can i address your claims claim directly to Dr J and why (Specifically)

Yours Jeff
        Hi Jeff

Yes, JL is said to be a recognised expert, but his expertise isn't really in this field. Check it out.

The facts are that four genuine experts in exactly this field say he's wrong - and in a most elementary way. Three of these experts, by the way, are behind, the very programmes and databases that he used to make his mistake.

If you can get something from him about this then please do. I tried before the story broke, and he brushed me off.

Sine the story broke, all anyone has publicly heard from him - via Facebook - is that it's a conspiracy. The independent has it in for the publisher.

Puhleeeze, give us break - and an explanation would help.
        Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          G'day Chris

Not something anyone in their right mind would admit to.
          Now you know why I always admit to being a Pom, Gut.
          Mick Reed

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
            I'm not disputing this Dave..I'm simply a commentator.

However I'm going to require a little more than this before claiming Dr J is Wrong?

So what you all got? Names and specifics help

Yours Jeff
            Names are all here, Jeff.

Mick Reed

Comment

Originally posted by mickreed View Post
              Now you know why I always admit to being a Pom, Gut.
              So are you claiming sanity???
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

So are you claiming sanity???
                I am. Nobody ever agrees with me, but.
                Last edited by mickreed; 10-22-2014, 05:32 PM.
                Mick Reed

Comment

Originally posted by Harriet the Student View Post
                  I thought the circumstances surrounding the shawl's provenance made the DNA identification shaky to begin with, but that's a pretty serious mistake to make. Was the bulk of Edward's case against Kosminski hanging on the DNA, or was there any other supporting evidence?
                  Hi Harriet and welcome.

Contrary to what some say here, the book is a triumph. It manages to make Cornwell look good.
                  Mick Reed

Comment

I have read the book. There was an awful lot of pages about how Russell Edwards became fascinated by Jack the Ripper, but not very much about how Amos Simpson could have got his hands on the shawl/table runner. Or, more to the point, how Kosminski could have acquired it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                      I have read the book. There was an awful lot of pages about how Russell Edwards became fascinated by Jack the Ripper, but not very much about how Amos Simpson could have got his hands on the shawl/table runner. Or, more to the point, how Kosminski could have acquired it.
                      Hi Rosella

In my view, no publisher with any integrity would have touched it, certainly not without a health warning.

It really is awfully weak.

My, I am getting in a fluster. It's just the continued silence from all of the defence that is getting to me.
                      Mick Reed

Comment

Opps, wrong thred

Best wishes

Mick Reed
                        Last edited by mickreed; 10-22-2014, 09:33 PM.
                        Mick Reed

Comment

Does anyone know what the law says on this matter? Is there any precedent for people getting their money back, given that the only thing this book had going for it as a selling point was the supposed science, which has now been shown to be a complete crock from start to finish?

People have been sold a bill of goods here. (And before the clever people jump in saying that they were too clever to fall for such nonsense and they cleverly tried to warn the rest of us, etc, I'm asking theoretically, hypothetically; it would be nice to see, for once, those who turn crap into gold having their gold taken from them and their turds handed back.)

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
                            Does anyone know what the law says on this matter? Is there any precedent for people getting their money back, given that the only thing this book had going for it as a selling point was the supposed science, which has now been shown to be a complete crock from start to finish?

People have been sold a bill of goods here. (And before the clever people jump in saying that they were too clever to fall for such nonsense and they cleverly tried to warn the rest of us, etc, I'm asking theoretically, hypothetically; it would be nice to see, for once, those who turn crap into gold having their gold taken from them and their turds handed back.)
                            I just posted this on the other DNA thread

Yep sure would have, there may [but it's a bg May] have been a case under false advertising legislation, but who'd throw the money at it.
                            One member here wrote to the distributors of another book and was given a refund so it can't hurt to try.
                            G U T

Comment

Many subtle DNA changes could explain why some people are taller than others, according to the largest ever study of the genetics behind height.

Todays Radio 4 program

I noted with interest that fairly shortly and following further research, scientistist should at least be able to figure out Aaron Kosminski's Hieght..

If indeed it is his DNA of course..

Although I would suspect a general estimate should eventually be available

Yours Jeff

Comment

I just posted this on the other DNA thread

One member here wrote to the distributors of another book and was given a refund so it can't hurt to try.
                                I havnt wasted my money on Mr Edwards book but I did buy "the fifth victim" thinking it was a factual well researched book when I read it and found out it was made up I contacted amazon who removed it from my kindle account and refunded my money.I think because this new book claims" case closed" there is a strong chance amazon might refund it's worth a go.
                                Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X