Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Kosminski's seaside home, seaside house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    The theory that the "witness" was a police officer and refused to testify against "Jack" because he was a fellow Jew is preposterous to say the least, police officers (even in Victorian times) can't pick and choose who they give evidence against!!!

It was always my understanding that Kosminski was in the convalescent home and the witness was brought to him?

So again why was Kosminski taken to a police seaside convalescent home and not just a public care institute? The Convalescent home was just that a place for injured officers to recover and having gone there you wouldn't expect to be sharing these facilities with the criminals or general members of the public for that matter?

We've got Jack at last, I know lets send him to the Convalescent home????
    Who knows. There’s probably a reasonable explanation if we knew more detail. It probably has to do with kosminsky not being arrested but in an asylum and trying to keep it on the low down because they didn’t want it publicized.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

The theory that the "witness" was a police officer and refused to testify against "Jack" because he was a fellow Jew is preposterous to say the least, police officers (even in Victorian times) can't pick and choose who they give evidence against!!!

It was always my understanding that Kosminski was in the convalescent home and the witness was brought to him?

So again why was Kosminski taken to a police seaside convalescent home and not just a public care institute? The Convalescent home was just that a place for injured officers to recover and having gone there you wouldn't expect to be sharing these facilities with the criminals or general members of the public for that matter?

hi Cat

several things here, why do you assume that kos was in the home and witness brought to him, that is not what swanson said.
      second, the assumption that the seaside home was the police one is a big assumption. kos was sent to it, with great difficulty, suggestion he did not want to go, that suggests the home was where someone else was.
      there were several possible witnesses, Lawende, Schwartz, Harvey ,Watkins and one other Blenkinsop plus a number of others, where were those people in 90 and 91?
      Can we place any of them in somewhere which could be termed a "home"?

Steve

Comment

Closest would be "James Hay" (Harvey?) a policeman in the Brighton Home in the April 1891 census. Since Swanson only said "the Seaside Home", it could be anywhere.

Comment

Hi SC,

A few years back I was doing some research into a French madame named Rosalie Bernstein (Ochse). She ran a brothel in the West end with her husband and loaned expensive clothing to the girls living in the house and if they left she took them to court to pay for the clothing. It was that fact that made me think of Mary Jane Kelly, french woman and trying to get her clothing back. Anyway, another famous person worked for a time with Madame Ochse. Her name was Kate Walsh. Kate ended up marrying her protector at the brothel by the name of Lord Euston. The same man in the Cleveland Street Scandal. Kate had a friend, a well known actress by the name of Florence St John. In late 1887, Florence St John developed a serious lung complaint and was sent to a seaside convalescent home in Brighton. There she was being treated by a nurse named "Mrs. Isaacson". Mrs. Isaacson introduced Florence to her extended family, the Cohen's. Jacob Cohen, a local teacher, had a 20 year old son named Arthur Cohen that Florence began an affair with. He was the sub-editor for the Financial Times.

Sorry for the long introduction, but I have been wondering if this Jacob Cohen might have been related to Kosminski. At least I gathered from this research that there was a seaside convalescent home in Brighton that treated people other than the police force. Maybe Kosminski was part of the extended family of this Mrs Isaacson as well?
          Last edited by jerryd; 12-27-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Jacob Herman Cohens father was Herman Jacob Cohen. He arrived in London England in 1826 from Rotterdam he was alone and a merchant. I cant yet see a connection.

Pat...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Jacob Herman Cohens father was Herman Jacob Cohen. He arrived in London England in 1826 from Rotterdam he was alone and a merchant. I cant yet see a connection.

Pat...
              Thank you, Pat. There probably isn't a connection. Never know, so I thought I would throw it out there.

Comment

Thank you, Pat. There probably isn't a connection. Never know, so I thought I would throw it out there.
                jerryd Quite right ! everything must be checked.
                Pat

Comment

Working...
                X