Lambeth Workhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A period view and a modern view of Lambeth Workhouse --

See Victorian plan of the workhouse posted by Maggie Jones on Flickr at https://flic.kr/p/nzgqyw. She writes: "On the map it has rooms for men and women of good or bad character. This is the workhouse that Charlie Chaplin was sent to as a child with his older brother and mother."

See also http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Lambeth/
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
      Might be "the younger version" of Mary Ann Nichols in the Ailie Street hospital for the 1881 Census.
      The thing that puts me off that Mary Ann Nichols is that she was born in Bow whereas 'our' Mary Ann had her birth registered in West London.

Comment

Have you found a birth record in Bow?

Odds are you are correct,however she hasn't been found elsewhere.

Sort of like Mary Kelly being born in Limerick,Ireland
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
          Have you found a birth record in Bow?

Odds are you are correct,however she hasn't been found elsewhere.

Sort of like Mary Kelly being born in Limerick,Ireland
          Mary Ann's birth certificate says she was born in Dawes Court Shoe Lane in 1845, that's the City. The GRO ref gives the registration district as the West End Union, which included Fleet St. As Mary Ann Walker in 1861 her place of birth is given as St Bride, which is describing the same place. In 1871 she just gives London

The Mary Ann Nichols in the census at the London Hospital in 1881 says she was born in Bow.

Comment

That's all really interesting and also what I discovered when looking through the A & D registers too, so obviously we're probably both on to something. It would make sense that 'our' Mary Ann only appears in the workhouse records from 1883 because in her examination she states that William paid her a maintenance for two years. In fact, there seems to be one entry which I identified as might being her dating from 24 April 1882 - 18 Jan 1883 at Lambeth Workhouse. If William cut her off because he needed the extra money to move out of the Peabody flats with Rosetta (which he did in July of that year) this would be about the right time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Madam Detective View Post
              That's all really interesting and also what I discovered when looking through the A & D registers too, so obviously we're probably both on to something. It would make sense that 'our' Mary Ann only appears in the workhouse records from 1883 because in her examination she states that William paid her a maintenance for two years. In fact, there seems to be one entry which I identified as might being her dating from 24 April 1882 - 18 Jan 1883 at Lambeth Workhouse. If William cut her off because he needed the extra money to move out of the Peabody flats with Rosetta (which he did in July of that year) this would be about the right time frame.
              This is true, and William and Rosetta had an extra mouth to feed by July 1883.
              One thing though; there is mention in the settlement record that Mary Ann went straight to Lambeth workhouse from Peabody buildings when the couple separated. If the separation was in 1881 then that may indicate that she is the woman with an 1840's birth year (which is correct) and not the woman giving a birth year of 1850's who enters Lambeth workhouse after 1883 ( the birth year also given in workhouse records we know definitely relate to 'our' Polly Nichols).
              The Lambeth Creed Register shows the woman born in the 1840's was in the workhouse for the 1881 census on April 1st 1881, even though the census does not corroborate this as I mentioned but instead shows an older woman of the same name, whom the Creed Regsiter shows wasn't there on census night.

"..Married at St Brides Church Fleet St 16 January 1864. Maiden name Walker. Husband has got the certificate-When we separated I went
              direct into Lambeth workhouse from No 6 D Block. Then it was agreed husband should allow me s 5/- a week which he did for 2 years
              which I received from Mr Tavener at Lambeth Workhouse..."

Comment

Working...
              X