takes on Helter skelter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• takes on Helter skelter

I have just reread this book after some years and a stroke, and I am impressed by a couple of things that I was not (to my recollection) impressed with before.
    1. We have no idea how many people this guy and his "family" killed
    2. I am damn glad to have missed the 1960's.
    Lets here some other impressions. That is all for now! Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

I read this book as a teenager in the mid-1970s. I thought it was a very well-crafted book whose author tried hard to be fair to the young people caught up in this horrific cult. He was much more sympathetic to the people drawn to Manson that I have managed to be.

What astonished me was their devotion to things such a vegetarianism and anti-war causes whilst at the same time dishing out horrific brutality and butchery to their victims.

Manson is a hateful character - completely unable to take responsibility for his actions - very arrogant and still - it seems- able to attract a fair following.

Incidently - there was a film made in about 1973 based on the book.

Comment

Thanks Limehouse! Dave

Comment

One things for sure, everyone involved in this after the convictions should have been lined up and mowed down Al Capone style. I'm not really in favor of the Death Penalty except in extreme cases such as this but that should have been their punishment. Oh almost forgot Manson pretty much beat this rap he was just sent back to where hes lived his whole life and the talk of paroling some of these people (Leslie Van Houten I think) is reprehensible.
        Jordan

Comment

I thought it highlighted some of Ringo's best drumming.

Comment

You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer!!!

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
            I thought it highlighted some of Ringo's best drumming.
            Agreed Scott, unquestionably the highlight of "The White Album", IMHO. A truly seminal moment in the developement of the "proto-metal" sound and a deliberate effort, on the part of McCartney, to create a sound as loud and as dirty as possible. Paul was inspired to write the song after reading a 1967 magazine interview with "The Who's" Pete Townshend where he described their latest single "I Can See for Miles" as the loudest, rawest and dirtiest song that the Who had ever recorded. McCartney also used the song as a retort to certain critics who accused him of only ever writing ballads.

I also believe that the song may have let to some degree of confusion/misunderstaning, among certain elements of the hippy/stoner community of the West Coast of the USA, but then again, they seemed pretty damn confused already, long before the Beatles... Or even the drugs!!!

Peace and love to you all, peace and love,

Zodiac.
            And thus I clothe my naked villainy
            With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
            And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Thanks for the takes guys! I have not heard the song in a dogs age. It seems to me a lesson in what happens when you train people not to think for themselves. Dave

Comment

For anyone who isn't aware, just thought I'd mention that Susan Atkins- the most brutal of Manson's killers- died a horrible death herself from brain cancer last year, and when she unsuccessfully requested compassionate release shortly before her death Vincent Bugliosi actually supported it. Meanwhile Squeaky Frohm- despite trying to assassinate an American president- is now free. That was a surprise.

If you go to Manson's Wikipedia page you'll see a picture of him released last year at age 74. He's losing his hair and is barely recognizable from the character we all know.

Comment

What was it she said to the pleading Sharon Tate, "look B**ch I have no sympathy for you!" Ain't that the truth! Dave

Comment

Hey Susan, hows that headache? Dave

Comment

Zodiac, he may have been trying to create a dirty sound, but the original working title was just the opposite. Instead of Helter Skelter, the first title was Alka Seltzer.

Now there's not many people know that.

Comment

Heartburn Hotel

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Zodiac, he may have been trying to create a dirty sound, but the original working title was just the opposite. Instead of Helter Skelter, the first title was Alka Seltzer.

Now there's not many people know that.
                        Hi Robert,

Yes, I hear that he had a lot of trouble with bad acid!!!

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
                        And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                        With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                        And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Working...
                        X