Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
    Pearly Poll has to be the most interesting of the current cast of thousands in the JTR saga. Good job, Tom.
    I completely agree Mike. The way Tom was able to link her throughout the series of murders is just amazing. It's almost enough to make me believe there was a conspiracy in and of itself.

It's been about 9 months since I read the book and I find myself wanting to go back to it and read it again. . .

If only I didn't have so many others to read. I might still try to squeeze it in.

Comment

• I've said it before and I'll say it again... this is the best "ripper" book I have read in years.. I found myself re-reading it again as well.. I never had much interest in Pearly Poll before reading this book, but now, I agree with Michael that she is one of the "most interesting of the current cast of thousands"

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Come on, it can't be that good..

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
          Come on, it can't be that good..
          Yes it is, and there's a lot I disagree with, but it is a good read, and makes you think.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Yes it is, and there's a lot I disagree with, but it is a good read, and makes you think.
            I wholly concur - Scott may have to abandon the habits of a lifetime...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Agreed, looking forward to future work he will be releasing.

Comment

• Though to go back to my previous question about the turnover of people at Dorset street...I suppose the point I was trying to raise/debate was whether or not most prostitutes would end up at one point or another at that address? It happens today. All be it if its crack houses/dens. Is it a coincidence that the victims all had lodgings at one time or another at 35 Dorset street?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                  Come on, it can't be that good..
                  Most assuredly, beyond all shadow of a doubt, it is that good of a book.
                  - Ginger

Comment

• In my opinion the last 12 months have seen three of the best JtR books ever released

Tom's
                    Helena's [if it really counts as a JtR book]
                    Monty's [Neil]
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Thanks for all the great comments about my book, guys. I haven't been able to read or post on Casebook for a while due to some weird cookies error or something. But suddenly I can and it's nice to see such positive feedback.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• A chance conversation led to the interesting information that you can have a Kindle App on your laptop.
                        So much faffing about by a computer ignoramus later, I downloaded Tom's book, and read it in one sitting yesterday.
                        Fantastic book, absolutely recommended, I'm going to read it again shortly.

The convention has it that Anne Chapman had spent her doss money, but after Tom's compelling reasoning re Polly Nicholls I wonder if she too was afraid to stay at the lodging house.

Anyway, hat off Tom. Magnificent.

Comment

• Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                          A chance conversation led to the interesting information that you can have a Kindle App on your laptop.
                          Yes Kindle reader can go on almost anything (now I hate reading on screen and it is a last resort) but I have Kindle on Laptop, desktop, Ipad, I phone and android tablet.

A real plus is that I can open the book on any of them and pick up reading where I left off as they all keep in sync with each other.

So much faffing about by a computer ignoramus later, I downloaded Tom's book, and read it in one sitting yesterday.
                          Yep, even the bits that I don't agree with were a good read.

The convention has it that Anne Chapman had spent her doss money, but after Tom's compelling reasoning re Polly Nicholls I wonder if she too was afraid to stay at the lodging house.

G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by AlanG View Post
                            Though to go back to my previous question about the turnover of people at Dorset street...I suppose the point I was trying to raise/debate was whether or not most prostitutes would end up at one point or another at that address? It happens today. All be it if its crack houses/dens. Is it a coincidence that the victims all had lodgings at one time or another at 35 Dorset street?
                            Not all victims. Only Polly Nichols and Annie Chapman lived
                            at 35 Dorset St.

Comment

• Ho Ho, top man. beautifully done.

Comment

• Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                                A chance conversation led to the interesting information that you can have a Kindle App on your laptop.

Hi Martin, thanks a million. I'm glad you enjoyed the read. Personally I don't think I could read an entire book in one sitting on my lap top screen, so I admire and appreciate your perseverance. There are a lot of unanswered questions about Nichols and Chapman. I could be misremembering, but I believe both were murdered in the week of their birthday. It's a fact that probably has no relevance, but it's hard to say what is and isn't relevant.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X