Dr. Frederick Gordon Brown Obituary 1928

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Robert

I swear, without even having a clue who you are, I'm gonna love you till the day I die!

I assume Finsbury Circus is a surgery address?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. Well, in 1911 in the electoral register, one Arthur Philip Gibbons was listed at 17 Finsbury Circus. However in the 1911 census he seems to be at Eldon St (no number), EC. Eldon Street was associated with Brown :

Brown was at 17 Finsbury Circus in 1901 and 1891. In 1881 the number was 16 Finsbury Circus.

In 1901 there are two female Gibbons listed at 17 Finsbury Circus, described as cousins, so I can't help feeling that Arthur Gibbons was a relative of Brown (Arthur was also a surgeon, and that's probably him with his wife mentioned in the newspaper item).

This thread is of interest :

For discussion of general police procedures, officials and police matters that do not have a specific forum.

I don't understand the topography and it will need Clacky to sort it out.

Comment

I wonder what happened to Mrs. Gordon Brown. The obituary stated she died shortly after the move to Chigwell.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, oddly, Emily seems to have died under the name of Emily Gordon Brown! (Q3 1905 Epping).

Comment

I must have missed something. Why is it odd if she calls herself Emily Gordon Brown - it's the same last names as her husband.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff

"Brown" OK, but middle name Gordon? I don't remember seeing that kind of thing too often.

Comment

His a map showing the rough location of 16/17 Finsbury Circus and 6 Eldon Street which Doctor Frederick Gordon Brown owned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FGB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	665137

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob!

Comment

6 Eldon Street?
                    Just a few yards from the entrance to the Broad Street Goods Depot.
                    And the big Pickford's stables.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      Hi Jeff

"Brown" OK, but middle name Gordon? I don't remember seeing that kind of thing too often.
                      Possibly the doctor treated the middle and last names like an "unhyphenated" final name. Like the creator of Sherlock Holmes. Technically Sir Arthur Aloyisius Conan Doyle (the "Aloyisius" surprised me too when I came across it) is not "Conan-Doyle" but "Doyle". Or in the other way, England's great Prime Minister from the Second World War. It is not supposed Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (as though the third name is like the first name of the assassinated Prime Minister Spencer Percival). Rather the family technically is the Spencer-Churchill family when the direct line from the first Duke of Marleborough died out and a second group of descendants were allowed to take the title by hyphenating their name (sometime during the Napoleonic Wars - a First Lord of the Admiralty, Lord Spencer, got permission to do this). So actually the Great Prime Minister is Sir Winston Spencer-Churchill. However, the Churchills eventually dropped the hyphenating of the last name.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                        6 Eldon Street?
                        Just a few yards from the entrance to the Broad Street Goods Depot.
                        And the big Pickford's stables.
                        6 Eldon Street. Home at one time of PC Watkins. And interestingly just south of Cross Street. I've seen the light and in the right place

Rob

Comment

I saw it first - in the wrong place

Comment

Aren't you so lucky to know someone like me.

Comment

Working...
                            X