The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

But his statement is not corroborated by anyone else. No one mentions a corner being soaked with blood. There is mention of a corner being wet (Pc Longs signed inquest testimony)

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
    Yet PC Long was concerned enough to report it.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      In the absence of a perfect chronology we've little choice, but at least my suggestion was based on everyday practicalities. "About 2:20" and "at 2:20" are different things and, as you know, Goulston Street isn't a particularly long thoroughfare; the difference between "about" and "at" could easily have given ample time for Long and Halse to have missed each other.
      One must take New Goulston Street into account. Halse states he made his was back toward Mitre Square after visiting Goulston Street. The most direct tour back is via New Goulston St, the turn for which is mere paces from the dwellings entrance.

It is quite possible both were in Goulston St at 2:20, with one being at least 10 seconds apart around the corner from the other.

As stated, 2:20am in a poorly lit area.

I find this extremely likely.

Monty
      Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi Jon,

PC Long had been transferred from A Division. This was his first night on a beat in strange and unknown territory.

Why was he not accompanied on his beat?

Regards,

Simon
        Only probationers would be accompanied all night . Experienced Bobbies were shown the beat book and expected to note the route down. The Section Sergeant may have gone out with them on the first few patrols, but after that he would have left an experience Bobby as Long to it.

Monty
        Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
          He says he went from Mitre Sq - Middlesex St-Wentworth Street quickest way via new Goulston street which would have brought him out opposite the Archway. Then back along Gouslton St to Mitre Square so two chances to see or hear Pc Long

If he had gone via Aldgate he would have also passed the Archway and he would have had even more chance of seeing or hearing Pc Long
          The quickest way to Middlesex St is via Duke Street then Stoney Lane, which comes out between New Goulston St and Wentworth St. Since he doesn't mention the former, I'd say he went directly from Middlesex Street into Wentworth St, where he questioned some men, then probably returned via Goulston St. Maybe.
          ​​​​​​
          ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post

One must take New Goulston Street into account. Halse states he made his was back toward Mitre Square after visiting Goulston Street. The most direct tour back is via New Goulston St, the turn for which is mere paces from the dwellings entrance.
            Indeed, Neil.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Daily news 12th

I saw the deceased stripped, and noticed that a portion of the apron was missing. I accompanied Major Smith back to the station, when we heard that a piece of apron had been found in Goulston street.

How could Halse know what Eddowes apron looked like before she was killed to assume there was a piece missing ?
              The only comparison he had was seeing the apron in Mitre Square and then again at the mortuary
              You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post
                Daily news 12th

I saw the deceased stripped, and noticed that a portion of the apron was missing. I accompanied Major Smith back to the station, when we heard that a piece of apron had been found in Goulston street.

How could Halse know what Eddowes apron looked like before she was killed to assume there was a piece missing ?
                The only comparison he had was seeing the apron in Mitre Square and then again at the mortuary
                She was found to be wearing an incomplete apron, at the murder scene it was not known she was even wearing one as her clothes had been thrown up and over her. The partial apron was hidden from view.
                When the remains of the apron were discovered still attached to her body they likely assumed no-one would wear only half an apron, plus the cut was more or less diagonal.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• " . . . plus the cut was more or less diagonal."

Nice one, Jon.

Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

" . . . plus the cut was more or less diagonal."

Nice one, Jon.

Simon, what shape was a corner when you were at school?

"It was the corner of the apron with a string attached...."
                    Inquest Testimony.

I recall a corner comprised of three points, not necessarily all of equal length.

A shape comprised of three points used to be a triangle, what do they call it in California?

Example..

Last edited by Wickerman; 07-02-2019, 01:50 AM.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Long, an experienced police officer,would have known the value of leaving evidence where it was found.He could,like Neil did in Bucks Row,signal and wait for help, while at the same time,being in a position to secure the evidence,and the scene.He states he did not know of Eddowes murder,could find no evidence of a victim,or assailant in the building. The writing would have meant nothing to long at that stage,so was a bloodstained piece of material enough to make him rush off to a police station?What was gained by him doing so? One problem I have is in reading what a policeman should have done in the circumstances.Stay and signal for help,or rush off to a police station,as Long did.

Comment

• Hi Jon,

PC Long: "I was on duty in Goulston Street, Whitechapel, on Sunday morning, Sept. 30, and about five minutes to three o'clock I found a portion of a white apron."

At 2.55 am, how did PC Long know it was a piece of apron?

"I recall a corner comprised of three points, not necessarily all of equal length."

Who said that?

Regards,

Simon
                        Last edited by Simon Wood; 07-02-2019, 04:05 AM.
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• PC Long: "I was on duty in Goulston Street, Whitechapel, on Sunday morning, Sept. 30, and about five minutes to three o'clock I found a portion of a white apron."

Maybe Mrs long wore the same type of white material for her aprons . Or maybe some the women on his beat wore the same or similar material on their aprons which he had become accustom to seeing on a daily basis.

But probably better to assumes P.C Long was a total idiot and had no idea what he had picked up, for the sake of your question.
                          Last edited by FISHY1118; 07-02-2019, 05:33 AM.
                          'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

PC Long: "I was on duty in Goulston Street, Whitechapel, on Sunday morning, Sept. 30, and about five minutes to three o'clock I found a portion of a white apron."

Perhaps it had a pocket or two...

​​​
                            ​​​​​​. .. boys! Perhaps it had a pocket or two!

Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                              Perhaps it had a pocket or two...

​​​
                              ​​​​​​. .. boys! Perhaps it had a pocket or two!
                              Oliver! jokes aside, does it really matter whether he recognised it as a piece of apron at the time or in hindsight? It was a piece of cloth smeared in faeces and blood, one corner of which was still wet; enough in itself to raise suspicion.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

She was found to be wearing an incomplete apron, at the murder scene it was not known she was even wearing one as her clothes had been thrown up and over her. The partial apron was hidden from view.
                                When the remains of the apron were discovered still attached to her body they likely assumed no-one would wear only half an apron, plus the cut was more or less diagonal.
                                Those are not a proven facts and you know that, stop misleading people !

Comment

Working...
                                X