No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayerling- It was William Davison doing the death warrant sleight of hand not William Brewster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Davison_(diplomat)

Comment

• 50 years ago, the greasy crime of all time.

Muhammad Ali, stripped of his World Title and the world denied what should have been his greatest years in the ring.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1967 May 1 - Fourteen-year-old Nikki Benedict is stabbed to death on a Southern California dirt trail. Nikki's murder is unsolved and some think she could have been an early victim of the Zodiac Killer.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
          Mayerling- It was William Davison doing the death warrant sleight of hand not William Brewster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Davison_(diplomat)
          You are correct, and properly have corrected me, that Davison did it (possibly for the most patriotic of motives), but somehow Brewster is connected (as a secretary to Davison?) in the latter's career. I did read that several decades ago.

Jeff.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
            50 years ago, the greasy crime of all time.

Muhammad Ali, stripped of his World Title and the world denied what should have been his greatest years in the ring.
            Certainly one of the most scurvy sports crimes of all time, up there with the decision to take back Jim Thorpe's gold medals for being an apparent professional athlete when he was in the Olympics - but at least they were eventually restored to Thorpe's descendants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Certainly one of the most scurvy sports crimes of all time, up there with the decision to take back Jim Thorpe's gold medals for being an apparent professional athlete when he was in the Olympics - but at least they were eventually restored to Thorpe's descendants.
              It was supposed to say Greatest, but greasy fits.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1967 May 20 - In South Carolina, Annie Dedmond is strangled and left in the middle of a highway. Roger Dedmond, her husband, was convicted of the crime but it was later determined that Annie was the first victim of serial killer Lee Roy Martin. Mr. Dedmond was released from prison and Martin was incarcerated. Martin was stabbed to death by a fellow inmate during 1979.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1917 May 24 - Dr. Arthur Warren Waite, a dentist, is put to death in a New York electric chair. The year previous, he'd murdered his wife's parents for profit.

50 years ago - 1967 May 24 - In Ireland, the body of Maria Donenech is found and it's presumed that she had been murdered by her boyfriend, Patrick D'Arcy. The suspect fled to the U. S. and committed suicide in Florida before he could be questioned. Maria's mother vanished in New York shortly before D'Arcy was discovered in Miami and it is assumed that he'd killed her as well, although her remains were never located.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                    100 years ago - 1917 May 24 - Dr. Arthur Warren Waite, a dentist, is put to death in a New York electric chair. The year previous, he'd murdered his wife's parents for profit.
                    Oh, yes! I'd just been reading about him not so long ago. He was a real piece of work: http://murderpedia.org/male.W/w/waite-arthur-warren.htm If he'd shown some patience, he'd more than likely have gotten away with it.
                    - Ginger

Comment

• 200 years ago - 1817 May 26 - Housemaid Mary Ashford is chased down, brutally assaulted and drowned in a pit. A man she'd recently dated, named Abraham Thornton, was put on trial for the murder but was acquitted by an English jury. The murder is still unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                        200 years ago - 1817 May 26 - Housemaid Mary Ashford is chased down, brutally assaulted and drowned in a pit. A man she'd recently dated, named Abraham Thornton, was put on trial for the murder but was acquitted by an English jury. The murder is still unsolved.
                        The case is remembered due to it's follow up. Ashford's brother made a personal request for justice decrying the jury verdict against Thornton. By right, Thornton had the right to demand personal satisfaction in a trial by arms against Mr. Ashford, and following custom Thornton (in court) through a leather gauntlet down in front of Ashton. Thornton was a muscular blacksmith. Ashton was as skinny as a rail. Ashton declined Thornton's demand, and the verdict remained the same. The old right was abolished in England a year later (see the volume in the old Notable British Trial series, "The Trial of Abraham Thornton"). Thornton emigrated to the U.S., and died in Baltimore, Maryland about 1860. Ashton lived a long time too.

Jeff

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1967 May 29 - The dismembered body of Lucila Lalu is found scattered around Manila. A man who lived above her beauty shop, named Jose Santiano, was found guilty of the murder but his conviction was later overturned; leaving Lucila's slaying unsolved.
                          Last edited by sdreid; 05-26-2017, 12:34 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1917 May 30 - In Missouri, 14-month-old Lloyd Keet is kidnapped from his residence. Although a $6,000 ramsom was paid, the child's mangled body was soon found in a well near his home. The Taylor Adams family and their boarder, Claude Piersol, were charged with the crime. Piersol was the subject of an attempted lynching but survived being strung up. All the accused subjects were sentenced to prison for kidnapping. They made the claim that little Lloyd's death had been accidental.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1967 May 31 - Dutch serial killer Hans van Zon beats Jan Donse, 80, to death with a pipe although this murder was done during a robbery. He was eventually convicted for his killings and sent to prison for life but was released in 1986 and died in 1998.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1967 June 8 - Enedine Molina and Fermin Rodriguez are shot to death in a California lover's lane. The murders have never been solved but some think the couple might be early victims of the Zodiac Killer.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X