Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
    I agree.

I had an ancestor who was a major slave owner, probably trader as well, he had kids by at least three slaves (were the woman willing??) though to give him credit he did give them his name and seems to have taken responsibility, at least to some degree, for their advancement in life.
    It wasn't uncommon for a white master to provide for his half-blood children, particularly for sons. A recent episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" told the story of an African-American woman who found out her ancestor was the son of a prominent Texas cattleman who refused to stop using the white man's surname, and eventually inherited a ranch. He also rose to prominence as a black politician in the Reconstruction period. His house now has a plaque on it.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 May 24 - A small time London gangster named Ernest Isaacs is found shot dead in his home. The victim was an associate of rivals of the Kray Brothers Gang but this did not lead to solving the murder.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 600 years ago - 1416 May 30 - Church reformer Jerome of Prague is burned at the stake for heresy in the Holy Roman Empire (now German) city of Konstanz.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1866 June 8 - In Pennsylvania, Anton Probst is executed by hanging for battering eight people to death at the Dearing Family farm where he was employed. The victims were Mr. and Mrs. Dearing, their children, a relative and a co-worker.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 June 9 - Winifred Sharp, a 50-year-old postal worker in Leeds, England, is shot and killed at her workplace. Mrs. Sharp's murder was never solved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 June 10 - The remains of Jeannette Messer, 56, are found in a park. She had been raped and murdered by Posteal Laskey, aka The Cincinnati Strangler. The serial killer was eventually sentenced to life and died incarcerated in 2007.
              Last edited by sdreid; 06-08-2016, 01:53 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1866 June 12 - In New Zealand, the Burgess Gang robs and murders James Battle. The following day, the band killed four more men in an even bigger robbery. Richard Burgess and two of his cohorts were eventually convicted of the murders and hanged.
                Last edited by sdreid; 06-10-2016, 04:22 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1866 June 13 - Henry Bulger is murdered as two men are broken out of a jail in Missouri. Suspicion is that Jesse and Frank James were involved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                    150 years ago - 1866 June 13 - Henry Bulger is murdered as two men are broken out of a jail in Missouri. Suspicion is that Jesse and Frank James were involved.
                    Old Dingus
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 June 17 - Two men and a woman are shot and killed in a New Jersey bar. Middleweight boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter and John Artis are charged and put on trial for the murders. A first conviction was overturned and a second was as well. Prosecutors could have ordered yet another trial but declined to do so. Rubin Carter died in 2014.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1966 June 17 - Two men and a woman are shot and killed in a New Jersey bar. Middleweight boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter and John Artis are charged and put on trial for the murders. A first conviction was overturned and a second was as well. Prosecutors could have ordered yet another trial but declined to do so. Rubin Carter died in 2014.

Probably the only good thing to com out of it as Zimmy's song about it.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          Probably the only good thing to com out of it as Zimmy's song about it.
                          I like the song but don't necessarily agree with his view.

Stan Reid

Comment

I like the song but don't necessarily agree with his view.
                            I'm not sure either but love the song.
                            G U T

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 June 21 - The body of Paul Benda, 5, is found in an unimproved area near the Northern New Jersey coast. He had been sexually abused, beaten, tortured with lit cigarettes and murdered with an ice pick. The little boy was nude when found but his clothes were close to the remains. Efforts were made to tie Paul's slaying with a series of others in the same region but those victims were all at least 16-years-old. Whether his killing was related or not, Paul's murder remains unsolved today.
                              Last edited by sdreid; 06-19-2016, 05:11 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 June 23 - In Seattle, Lonnie Trumbell is bludgeoned to death in her bed with a length of wood. Her roommate was attacked in the same way but recovered, although she remembered nothng about the incident. The killing is unsolved but some think it might have been an early murder by Ted Bundy.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X