Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Mary Kelly killed in daylight hours.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Joshua,

Yes, there's a fantastic story in The Standard, 10th November 1888.

Whether or not it's true is another matter.

Regards,

Simon
    Was just going to say the same thing, Simon.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...ver#post406066 (Post #37)

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
      Again, we have no evidence to corroborate that she knew Mary at all, let alone spoke with her twice over some months.
      There's no evidence to corroborate a lot of things regarding the murders but that doesn't necessarily make them untrue does it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post

David:
        What are you saying? A reporter on the roof observed the 'preliminary examination' of Dr Phillips and was reporting what he saw? Seriously?
        As everyone else can see, except from you David, Wickerman did not say that. I do think you should apologize to Wickerman for putting words into his mouth.

The question marks are irrelevant. Especially since you finish off with "Seriously?", a confirming word, when there is NOTHING TO CONFIRM.
        Hi Pierre.
        The article concerning pressmen on the rooftops came from the Star:

"The police, however, refuse to supply information of any kind to certain of the reporters, and guard the entrance to the court where the crime was committed as carefully as if the murderer were still confined within its precincts.
        The court itself, which our reporter and artist got an opportunity of viewing from the roof, is one of those miserable little alleys where none but those compelled to live in its stifling atmosphere ever enter."

Star, 9 Nov. 1888.

So obviously, the press can determine who enters the room & when, without actually interviewing anyone.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

As for Dorset Street, Mayors Day would have nothing to do with how many people would have been out and about on any given morning on Dorset...this was one of the most populated streets due to the number of lodging houses, and there would have been many people on the street by the time "Corrie" says she saw Mary. Yet not one of these people came forward and corroborated her story.
          Actually we don't know if anyone came forward and corroborated her story. Police reports after the inquest are missing. We just can't say.

But the point you make is built on what I regard as a fallacy, namely that Kelly was almost a minor celebrity in the area so that just about everyone walking down Dorset Street would have known who she was and remembered her. It's just not realistic. Like you say, it was a highly populated area with people coming and going over short spaces of time. I just don't think everyone knew everyone else or anything like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            So obviously, the press can determine who enters the room & when, without actually interviewing anyone.
            But we're not concerned with who entered the room and when are we Jon?

We are concerned with what happened once they were inside.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
              There's no evidence to corroborate a lot of things regarding the murders but that doesn't necessarily make them untrue does it?
              No sir, just makes them unsubstantiated claims until otherwise proven. Hardly something to formulate a particular position with.
              Michael Richards

Comment

Actually we don't know if anyone came forward and corroborated her story. Police reports after the inquest are missing. We just can't say.

But the point you make is built on what I regard as a fallacy, namely that Kelly was almost a minor celebrity in the area so that just about everyone walking down Dorset Street would have known who she was and remembered her. It's just not realistic. Like you say, it was a highly populated area with people coming and going over short spaces of time. I just don't think everyone knew everyone else or anything like it.
                I didn't suggest Mary would be well known at all, just that none of the other people who were out on the street at the time of the alleged sighting saw anything of this alleged exchange, nor did they come forward to substantiate the description of Mary. People did not have to know Mary to be able to corroberate what Carrie says Mary was looking like that morning. A simple "I saw someone who looked like that also" is conspicuously absent.
                Michael Richards

Comment

No sir, just makes them unsubstantiated claims until otherwise proven. Hardly something to formulate a particular position with.
                  Well I'm not formulating any position. I simply pointed out to you that there was no evidence to contradict Maxwell's evidence. There wasn't any need for any further discussion in my opinion.

Comment

I didn't suggest Mary would be well known at all, just that none of the other people who were out on the street at the time of the alleged sighting saw anything of this alleged exchange, nor did they come forward to substantiate the description of Mary. People did not have to know Mary to be able to corroberate what Carrie says Mary was looking like that morning. A simple "I saw someone who looked like that also" is conspicuously absent.
                    Why would you expect anyone to see anything of this exchange if it occurred? People speak in the street all the time but I don't see everyone else keeping records of those conversations, mental or otherwise. And why would anyone think they needed to come forward to substantiate "the description" of Mary?

I love the way you have simply ignored the fact that I said we don't know if anyone did come forward to corroborate Maxwell's story and ploughed on regardless.

But for me the key fact is that we are talking about an area of London where members of the public simply did not approach the police or tell them anything. Most people in the streets were probably petty criminals. People in that area didn't come forward at the best of times, and certainly not to confirm something that the police already knew from another witness.

Comment

• Hi All,

Compile a list of those people who claimed to have some knowledge of Mary Jane Kelly.

I think you will find that these people were the nine witnesses called to give evidence at her inquest.

Plenty of other locals claimed that Mary Jane Kelly was unknown to them.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                        Hi Wickerman,

what I want to point out are just the simple and well historically established facts that:

1. There are newspapers from 10th November reporting that Dukes was the first medical man at Millerīs Court.

So accordring to these sources, Phillips was not first. Or Bond.
                        Yes, but keep in mind this is reported in the Irish Times, not, so far as I can see in the local London papers. The American press also got a number of detail wrong, so I mostly give preference to the London papers first. The only time I look further afield, but still in English press, is when articles are published that do not appear in the London press.

3. Dukes and Bond did not testify at the inquest.

This means that we have no inquest testimony from them as to what they saw or when they entered the murder site.
                        Agreed, but it is not normally required to have more than one professional opinion attended at the inquest. This was Dr. Phillips's case so only he is required.

So we can not draw any conclusions about the time they entered from that specific testimony.
                        No we can't, with the exception of Dr. Phillips who stated when he arrived at Millers Court, being 11:15 am.
                        The photographer arrived at 1:30, roughly when the door was broken open.
                        Phillips entered and made a preliminary examination, then allowed the photographer to enter and take some pictures. Dukes, Bond, Gabe, and the rest all arrived between 1:30 - 2:00, actual times not being available.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                          Was just going to say the same thing, Simon.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...ver#post406066 (Post #37)
                          Thanks Jerry and Simon!

Comment

But we come back to the simple question: how did the press know what happened in the room?
                            Ok, so why don't you provide a press quote where activities which took place in the room are described, because to be honest, none come to mind.

Do not forget, the photographer is very likely to have been approached by a journalist to describe the look of the room. I'm not so sure he would have been sworn to secrecy.
                            Police officials in attendance that morning are not a likely source, but I think some questions about Dr. Percy Clerk's conduct with the press were posed.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                              Yes, but keep in mind this is reported in the Irish Times, not, so far as I can see in the local London papers. The American press also got a number of detail wrong, so I mostly give preference to the London papers first.
                              In fact, the Daily Chronicle (a London newspaper) of 10 November 1888 claimed that Dr Duke, who it described as 'the police surgeon of the H Division' was 'the first medical man to arrive on the spot'.

Just shows how inaccurate information can spread quickly in the press.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                                Hi All,

Compile a list of those people who claimed to have some knowledge of Mary Jane Kelly.

I think you will find that these people were the nine witnesses called to give evidence at her inquest.

Plenty of other locals claimed that Mary Jane Kelly was unknown to them.

Regards,

Simon
                                I made a list once, and it was more than nine....in fact, I might still have it somewhere...result!

Joe Barnett
                                John McCarthy
                                Thomas Bowyer
                                Lizzie Albrook
                                Mary Ann Cox
                                Elizabeth Prater
                                Caroline Maxwell
                                George Hutchinson
                                Maria Harvey
                                Sarah Rooney
                                Julia Vanturney
                                Annie Govan
                                Elizabeth Smith
                                Liz Foster
                                Maurice Lewis
                                Catherine Pickett
                                Another unnamed woman
                                And a fellow in the doss house who said everyone knew Mary Jane

Comment

Working...
                                X