Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel High Street Newspaper Shop Murder in 1904

Ladies/Gents,

Just become aware of this incident. Have surfed the net but can't seem to find anything on it? Has anyone got any knowledge on it or can point me in the direction of somewhere I can find something?

I've not heard of this murder before, but could this be this one?

A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.

It describes the 1904 murder trial of victim Emily Farmer, who ran a newspaper shop at 478 Commercial Road. This is about a mile and a half from where it joins Whitechapel High Street, but a newspaper report does headline it 'Murder in Whitechapel'.

Comment

Could very well be Josh. It appears to be a story in this book? I'd not heard of it before.

Comment

Hi Joshua and PC2267

I can confirm that Neil Storey's East End Murders: From Jack the Ripper to Ronnie Kray does include a chapter on "The Whitechapel Newspaper Shop Murder. Conrad Donovan and Charles Wade, 1904." I don't personally have the book but knowing, as I do, that Mr. Storey is a solid researcher, I am certain the book would be worth getting. The book also covers the Ratcliffe Highway murders of 1811, the Houndsditch murders of 1910, the Siege of Sidney Street in early 1911, Lipsky, Wainwright, Cronin, and Stockwell, as well as the Whitechapel murders and the Krays as advertised on the cover.

Best regards

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hi All,

Fred Wensley devotes a chapter (vi) to the case in his memoir Detective Days.

Gary

Comment

Police Constable 141H James HOOPER, was the first officer to arrive at the scene of Emily FARMERS murder. He later gave evidence during the trial at the Old Bailey.
            Attached Files

Comment

Constable 141H James HOOPER Metropolitan Police

Entitled to -
              1897 Metropolitan Police Diamond Jubilee Medal (Bronze) – P.C. J.HOOPER. H.DIVN
              1902 Metropolitan Police Coronation Medal (Bronze) – P.C. J.HOOPER. H.DIV.
              1911 Metropolitan Police Coronation Medal (Silver) – P.C. J.HOOPER.

James John Davis Hooper, born at Plymouth 20th June 1862.
              James joined the police 02.05.1892 warrant number 77639.
              Joined the Met 2nd May 1892, appointed to S Division.
              Transferred H Division 9th April 1895.
              Married to Emily Hooper.
              Living at 34 Cowley Street, Shadwell, East London.
              Pensioned as a Constable from H Division after 23 years 221 days service, 13th March 1916.

Comment

Found these newspaper illustrations, thought they might be of interest?
                Attached Files

Comment

The final irony in the this case being that workmen engaged in repairing Miss Farmer's premises, discovered a tin box under the floor boards. In it were Miss Farmer's rings, watch and chain, bracelets and a great deal of jewellery, including diamond earrings, worth a great deal of money. Donovan and Wade had missed out on an absolute treasure trove; and if they had stolen any money, it could not have been a great deal. Four days after the murder when Wade was searched he had nothing in his pockets and as regards Donovan his worldly worth amounted to no more than 4 shillings and 11 and a half pence.

Comment

https://www.jack-the-ripper-tour.com...fRVtDr27lUR7To
                    Last edited by The Station Cat; 04-23-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Hooper Police News full image.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	707173 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Hooper Police News 005.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	707175 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Hooper Police News 004.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	707176 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Hooper Police News 003.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	707177 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Hooper Police News 002.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	707178 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Hooper Police News.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	707174

Comment

EAST END OF LONDON IN THE 1900s:
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                          X