No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago - 1965 May 25 - In (then West) Germany, Ernst Dieter-Beck strangles a 29-year-old woman he'd met at a dance club. Ursula Fritz was the second murder by the serial killer. After a third slaying in 1968, he was sent to prison for life.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 June 2 - While on cruiser patrol in Washington Parish, Louisiana, Deputies O'Neal Moore and David Rogers receive a hail of bullets from a passing truck. Moore was killed instantly and Rogers lost an eye in the incident. Both men were among the first black peace officers in the area and the Klan was suspected but no murder charges were ever brought in the case.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1865 June 8 - In a Montana Territory saloon, Harry Slater is gunned down by John Keene, a rival. Keene was arrested for the killing and ready admitted to it. He was speedily tried and hanged the week after the incident.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          150 years ago - 1865 June 8 - In a Montana Territory saloon, Harry Slater is gunned down by John Keene, a rival. Keene was arrested for the killing and ready admitted to it. He was speedily tried and hanged the week after the incident.
          Gee they waited a whole week, sometimes it was the same day.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Gee they waited a whole week, sometimes it was the same day.
            Maybe I misread I thought t was hanged a week after the trial, but on a 2nd read a week after the killing.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Maybe I misread I thought t was hanged a week after the trial, but on a 2nd read a week after the killing.
              Yes, the week following the killing. I always figured that it would be a greater punishment to make them wait a couple of weeks between the sentencing and the execution - give them some time to think about their end.

Stan Reid

Comment

Yes, the week following the killing. I always figured that it would be a greater punishment to make them wait a couple of weeks between the sentencing and the execution - give them some time to think about their end.
                Now a days it seems that about 10 years is the norm in the good old US of A, and indeed Indonesia.
                G U T

Comment

Theoretically you are right Stan, but in practice any amount of time between the date of conviction and sentencing and the "execution" of the sentence is used for the purposes of trying to get a higher court to review the decision and see if as a matter of law the trial was correctly handled or not. And usually this extends matters into months, years, and even decades. Which (of course) opens up the issue (with the denouncers of capital punishment) that further actions are cruel and unusual punishment for the length of time involved, or that the right to a speedy trial has been violated.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                    Theoretically you are right Stan, but in practice any amount of time between the date of conviction and sentencing and the "execution" of the sentence is used for the purposes of trying to get a higher court to review the decision and see if as a matter of law the trial was correctly handled or not.
                    I do know that (at least) in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, hangings would be scheduled with an intervening Sunday, so that the condemned could worship properly.
                    - Ginger

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1915 June 11 - On a Chicago street, suspected Black Hand leader Pietro Catalanetto is gunned down. The next day, police name Michael Locascio as their person of interest in the killing.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 June 22 - James Latham and George York are hanged in a Kansas prison. The pair had deserted the Army in 1961, when both were still teenagers, then gone a cross country killing spree that left seven dead. Latham mounted the gallows last and he is, to date, the last person executed in Kansas.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1915 June 25 - Sydney Jones is executed in Alabama by hanging. He left a note in his cell confessing to 13 murders and one attempt.

Stan Reid

Comment

100 years ago - 1915 June 25 - Sydney Jones is executed in Alabama by hanging. He left a note in his cell confessing to 13 murders and one attempt.
                            How many was he convicted of, do you know Stan?
                            G U T

Comment

How many was he convicted of, do you know Stan?
                              Don't know GUT. His killings were in several different states so I'm pretty sure he was convicted of less than the 13. My computer has been down for about two weeks so I have several cases to get caught up on. That's why this entry and the next couple will be a little tardy.
                              Last edited by sdreid; 07-03-2015, 05:23 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Don't know GUT. His killings were in several different states so I'm pretty sure he was convicted of less than the 13. My computer has been down for about two weeks so I have several cases to get caught up on. That's why this entry and the next couple will be a little tardy.
                                Thanks Stan.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X