Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important data: a wish list

Hi,

Doing my own research and looking at different theories others have come up with I come to think of the different types of data we prefer to use.

I guess we all have our own ideas as to what types of data should be considered as really important.

So what types of data do you think would be the most important if you would try to find the killer? And what would qualify as proof?

Here are some suggestions listed in no special order and you can probably add more to it:

1. Personal motive for murdering the victims
    2. DNA
    3. His profession
    4. A confession
    5. Items found at the murder sites
    6. Handwriting match with a letter
    7. His adress
    8. Personal motive for mutilating victims
    9. A letter containing knowledge only the murderer could have had
    10. Several letters containing knowledge only the murderer could have had
    11. Statements from witnesses
    12. A combination of some of the above
    13. A combination of all of the above

Another question concerns the amount of data we have. Is it "the more the better" or "just a few but very significant". What do you think?

Regards Pierre

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi,

Doing my own research and looking at different theories others have come up with I come to think of the different types of data we prefer to use.

I guess we all have our own ideas as to what types of data should be considered as really important.

So what types of data do you think would be the most important if you would try to find the killer? And what would qualify as proof?

Here are some suggestions listed in no special order and you can probably add more to it:

2. DNA
    3. His profession
    4. A confession
    7. His adress

Another question concerns the amount of data we have. Is it "the more the better" or "just a few but very significant". What do you think?

Regards Pierre

Certainly not anywhere near enough 125+ years down the track, also not sure how you'd establish it.

2. DNA

From where matching what?

3. His profession

Nope

4. A confession

Depends on the provenance of sad confession, they had confessions at the time.

Liking them to a suspect, how?

Since hardly anyone accepts that he wrote any particular letter, nope.

7. His adress

How does that help?

Maybe

And 127 years down the track how do we prove that the information is correct?

See above re one letter

We have some, not sure where you'll get more now.

Perhaps but they need to answer each individual question before they're worth diddly squat.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Pierre,

Which category does your remaining, case-clinching, data fall in to?

I'd also be interested in your opinion(s) of your list. What elements would you consider as proof?

Yours,
      Mister Whitechapel

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Whitechapel View Post
        Pierre,

Which category does your remaining, case-clinching, data fall in to?

I'd also be interested in your opinion(s) of your list. What elements would you consider as proof?

Yours,
        Mister Whitechapel
        I suspect whatever one(s) he (thinks) he can tie to his suspect of choice.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          I suspect whatever one(s) he (thinks) he can tie to his suspect of choice.
          Indeed. I'm understandably curious at what specifics will be presented as evidence once Pierre has uncovered that final nail in the proverbial coffin, and what has been excluded from his investigation due to his own views on what constitues as proof.

I just think it's important for the OP to state their own views before seeking those of others, and - for my own curiosity - which of the list presented does the last piece of evidence fall into.

Yours,
          Mister Whitechapel

Comment

Outside of what was listed the murder weapon(s) would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Whitechapel View Post
              Indeed. I'm understandably curious at what specifics will be presented as evidence once Pierre has uncovered that final nail in the proverbial coffin, and what has been excluded from his investigation due to his own views on what constitues as proof.

I just think it's important for the OP to state their own views before seeking those of others, and - for my own curiosity - which of the list presented does the last piece of evidence fall into.

Yours,
              Mister Whitechapel
              Agree, I get the sneaking suspicion that he is simply shopping for information so he can make up his theory.
              G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Agree, I get the sneaking suspicion that he is simply shopping for information so he can make up his theory.
                Hi GUT,

well, why do you assume that discussing different types of data on a forum in the year 2015 would create information as to who the Whitechapel killer could have been?

And what makes you think a theory could be built on such discussions?

If you take the time to analyze extensive data from the 19th century instead, you might get what you call information. Then you might be able to derive some hypotheses and even a theory from it.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Hi GUT,

well, why do you assume that discussing different types of data on a forum in the year 2015 would create information as to who the Whitechapel killer could have been?

And what makes you think a theory could be built on such discussions?

If you take the time to analyze extensive data from the 19th century instead, you might get what you call information. Then you might be able to derive some hypotheses and even a theory from it.

Regards Pierre
                  Hi Pierre
                  I think the problem might be that the only 'data' links you've posted so far have been to articles on casebook and it may be making people wonder if your sole source for your data is in fact.....casebook
                  You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

In my view, it's folly to think that any such evidence exists. The fog of 127 years has obscured any trail that may ever have led to the killer(s). Further, I think that it's foolish for any individual to think that he's "found him" by uncovering "evidence" that identifies "Jack the Ripper". This is why I'm so critical of those who promote such ideas. I see the act of doing so as either simple naiveté or profound arrogance. Thus far, Peirre, I think you have a bit of the former (Christer, clearly, truckloads of the latter).

Do not take this to mean that I do not appreciate the ideas, the discussion, the reseach and effort involved. However, I think that - with time - we learn patience, prudence, and perspective. We realize what's realisic, what's possible, and why we are interested in the subject as a whole. Those of us who realize all this, yet remain fascinated and involved, even as we know there are not now, nor will there likely ever be legitimate "suspects" will study these times, places, and people, until our dying days. I suspect a love of history drives most of us. We also love a good mystery...and any mystery worth it's salt will remain such for time immemorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                      In my view, it's folly to think that any such evidence exists. The fog of 127 years has obscured any trail that may ever have led to the killer(s). Further, I think that it's foolish for any individual to think that he's "found him" by uncovering "evidence" that identifies "Jack the Ripper". This is why I'm so critical of those who promote such ideas. I see the act of doing so as either simple naiveté or profound arrogance. Thus far, Peirre, I think you have a bit of the former (Christer, clearly, truckloads of the latter).

Do not take this to mean that I do not appreciate the ideas, the discussion, the reseach and effort involved. However, I think that - with time - we learn patience, prudence, and perspective. We realize what's realisic, what's possible, and why we are interested in the subject as a whole. Those of us who realize all this, yet remain fascinated and involved, even as we know there are not now, nor will there likely ever be legitimate "suspects" will study these times, places, and people, until our dying days. I suspect a love of history drives most of us. We also love a good mystery...and any mystery worth it's salt will remain such for time immemorial.
                      Hi Patrick,

I agree. I think I am a bit naive to, or rather very naive indeed. And I donīt want to get into the position of beeing arrogant as well. But most of all I want to stick to science. So thatīs why I say I think I have found him. I donīt know. And until I know or until I have managed to prove my research to be wrong, I donīt talk much about it.

But I can tell you that my data scares me.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Hi Patrick,

I agree. I think I am a bit naive to, or rather very naive indeed. And I donīt want to get into the position of beeing arrogant as well. But most of all I want to stick to science. So thatīs why I say I think I have found him. I donīt know. And until I know or until I have managed to prove my research to be wrong, I donīt talk much about it.

But I can tell you that my data scares me.

Regards Pierre
                        WHY does it SCARE you?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                          WHY does it SCARE you?
                          Because there are many significant independent datasources clearly pointing in the direction of one specific person. Why - if it isnīt him?

These sources shed light on historical problems concearning the killer that people have tryed to solve and understand for a long time. Why - if it isnīt him?

I donīt want to believe the data, since I never wanted to be a ripperologist and never wanted the responsibility for all this. The killer wanted to be known and Iīm supposed to be his messenger. I donīt like that. And many will take offense.

Pierre

Comment

I donīt want to believe the data, since I never wanted to be a ripperologist and never wanted the responsibility for all this. The killer wanted to be known and Iīm supposed to be his messenger. I donīt like that. And many will take offense.

Pierre
                            See, that's the sort of talk that makes people ask if you're involved in paranormal experiences (i.e. "Are you a medium?") -- might want to tone it down if you're really a scientist instead.
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                              See, that's the sort of talk that makes people ask if you're involved in paranormal experiences (i.e. "Are you a medium?") -- might want to tone it down if you're really a scientist instead.
                              Or that it's all just a gee up.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X