Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something about "George" as in "George St" and George Yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mike,
    Perhaps it would be better if you and Sam re read the trial transcripts as they are reproduced in Adam"s book,"The Trial of George Chapman" .At the moment I feel like the lone voice here with Sam and you refusing to accept the printed records of 1903.

- an important witness ie Wolff Levisohn----the only person at the trial,apart from Mrs Radin, who actually says he knew him in 1888 in Whitechapel.Mrs Radin also knew him in 1888 ----[in court in March 1903 she said that she knew Chapman as Severin Klosowski and that he stayed with her,"about 15 years before for five months at 70 West India Dock Road"].
    As for Baderski and Rauch,they were not even in London in 1888.They arrived sometime in 1889
    so how could they confirm or dispute Levisohn"s testimony ?
    I will need to check out Sherman when I get back.

The point you make about the High Street in no way alters the fact that the Whitehart Public House stood at the corner of what was ,in 1888 called "George Yard" and the address of the WhiteHart was 89 Whitechapel High Street.George Chapman worked there in the basement barber shop and its written in Court and Police Records that this was in 1888.
    Abberline is on record as stating and therefore reinforcing Chapman"s 1888 close connection with George Yard where Martha Tabram was murdered in August 1888.So is Godley.

Best Wishes

Norma
    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 12-01-2009, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Mark-------so sorry about the "Mike" bit!
      Cheers Norma

Comment

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
        if one were being historically responsible, take the view that Levisohn is rather isolated in his testimony, at least in the context of the dovetailing evidence provided by George Sherman, Stanislaus Baderski and Stanislava Rauch. They don't firmly place Klosowski in the White Hart, let alone George Yard, in 1888, leaving Levisohn somewhat as a lone voice.
        Indeed, Mark - and well put. One would have thought that Klosowski's immediate family (Baderski/Rauch) and workmates (Sherman/Sterman) would constituted rather better sources for establishing his whereabouts than an occasional visitor to his workplace (viz., the salesman Levisohn). That's what I've been trying to get across, albeit with little success, for quite some time.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

In 1888 ?--Baderski /Rauch had not even met him then!

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          Indeed, Mark - and well put. One would have thought that Klosowski's immediate family (Baderski/Rauch) and workmates (Sherman/Sterman) would constituted rather better sources for establishing his whereabouts than an occasional visitor to his workplace (viz., the salesman Levisohn). That's what I've been trying to get across, albeit with little success, for quite some time.

Baderski /Rauch,according to the testinony from their own lips,didnt meet Klosowski/Chapman until August 1889.So how on earth could they have known his whereabouts in 1888? and it is 1888 not 1889 that is the crucial year surely?
          Also,Levisohn was a very useful witness in bringing this serial murderer of women to justice in 1903 since his testimony spans the period from 1888 until 1894/5.As a traveller salesman of hairdressing goods and an ex fledscher he was able to help establish Klosowski"s stay in both Whitechapel and two addresses in Tottenham, 1894/95 being the last year when he used the name Severin Klosowski,officially with landlords and changed it instead to George Chapman.

I note that as usual you leave out Inspectors Abberline "s and Godley"s recorded words on this, who both put Klosowski /Chapman at the George Yard address in 1888.........but I am sure they are on your list of buffoons who dont have a clue what they are talking about... like Dr Phillips and co.
          Last edited by Natalie Severn; 12-02-2009, 10:54 AM. Reason: additional date

Comment

Working...
          X