Originally posted by Observer View Post
    You said it

Observer
    I liked it.

Comment

Hi Cap'n

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
      I liked it.
      The bizzareness of it? Because it has no foundation in truth.

Observer

Comment

fundamentum

Hello Observer. Good observation. On the other hand, what do we know about Jack that does have a foundation in truth? We do know that between 1 and 14 women were killed (perhaps by the same hand) in Whitechapel. We also know that whoever killed Kate Eddowes likely cut a piece of apron and wiped some blood and faeces on it. But beyond that?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

The method of dispatch and the subsequent mutilations adopted by the man know as Jack the Ripper is not unique. Other serial killers have used these very tactics. This suggests to me that in certain individuals these urges can not be controlled. Mutilation madness has been suggested, where the urge to mutilate is paramount. Point being I doubt whether there was any other influence that propelled the Ripper into his nefarious pursuits, other than a desire to main and mutilate. Evil, or a malfunctioning brain though?

Observer

Comment

control

Hello Observer. Quite possibly so. Of course, he was able to exert a bit of control while awaiting his opportunity.

The best.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
              Hi Cap'n

The bizzareness of it? Because it has no foundation in truth.

Observer
              For reference using the scenario mentioned, see A. Vasilev....the self anointed "Saviour of Souls".

Since 2 books independent of each other were written in 1888 citing Vasiliev as the probable Whitechapel Murderer....its well within reason to assess this possible motivation.

I dont buy that all the women were killed by that kind of man, but some might have been.

Cheers

Comment

silly sod

Hello Mike. Thanks! I suppose my thinking flies in the face of the great corpus of ripperology, but wouldn't it be ironic if we could have seen the actual ripper and he turns out to be this misguided silly sod who is trying to save these poor unfortunates?

Actually, it's not so far fetched. I have heard of cases where a mother or mothers abused their children in a misguided effort at exorcism.

I, for one, am in favor of holding on to as many cards as possible.

The best.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello Mike. Thanks! I suppose my thinking flies in the face of the great corpus of ripperology, but wouldn't it be ironic if we could have seen the actual ripper and he turns out to be this misguided silly sod who is trying to save these poor unfortunates?

Actually, it's not so far fetched. I have heard of cases where a mother or mothers abused their children in a misguided effort at exorcism.

I, for one, am in favor of holding on to as many cards as possible.

The best.
                  LC
                  Hi Lynn,

I wonder sometimes whether this may have been about procreation rather than womanhood, if by some zealous fanatic like Vasiliev. Like the killer thought he could stop any proliferation of the "whore disease" if he took away the organs of creation from them?

I know they were dead at the time and hardly able to procreate, but Im speaking of someone detached from conscious life somewhat. A disturbed missionary.

Just thinking out loud.

Cheers Lynn.

Comment

if thine eye offend thee

Hello Mike. I was wondering about something similar.

So, besides the "trephining" a removal of the affected parts.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Hi Mike

I'm not surprised certain contempory writers suspected a religiously inspired Ripper, those were the times. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since the Whitechapel atrocities however, a lot has been learned, killers caught and questioned, and it seems a more likely reason for their mania revovles around their own selfish pleasures rather than bizarre messages from God, a desire to rid the streets of prostitution, etc. I stand by what I said, I very much doubt whether Jack the Ripper found his inspiration as described by Lynn in post 59. Forget the religious nut.

Observer

Comment

back burner

Hello Observer. I agree that a sexual motivation is the more likely scenario. I think, moreover, that one of the doctors examining Kate (?) looked for "fluid" on her thighs. This was certainly a forward looking medical man--far ahead of his time--suspecting a sexual motive.

But instead of forgetting the aspect I hinted at earlier, perhaps it should be removed to the back burner instead?

The best.
                        LC

Comment

Working...
                        X