Jack the Ripper Conference 2012 in York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ally,

Pimm's is a refreshing alcoholic beverage (for sissies) that is often mixed with fruit and gingerale and other things to make a Pimm's punch. It isn't very strong and when I bartended at weddings, I had to make tons of the stuff. It's a wimpy thing really.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Some people have nooooooo trust.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I can recommend a pint of Wonky Donkey in the Three Leeged Mare. It's not far from The Guy Fawkes Inn, where the guy himself was born. If cocktails are your thing, there's The Evil Eye, on Stonegate, once a favourite haunt of Inspector Abberline ( Johhny Depp anyway). York is teeming with history and is full of fine pubs, most of them with a ghostly tale or a cellar that Dick Turpin used to hide in.

Comment

Sorry,thats The Three Legged Mare. The Three Leeged Mare is what I call it at the end of the night. It's also known as The Wonky Donkey . I was very careful how I typed that!

Comment

What are some other good Yorkshire ales? When I walk into a pub in York, I want to sound (despite the accent) like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Hello GM. Theakston XB, Old Peculiar, Samuel Smiths, Black Sheep, to name a few. Have a stroll along Stonegate. There's a place there called The Beer Bottle Shop, or something like that. When I was there last, I remember music playing in the background which was something like a Country & Western tribute to ACDC. Anyway, they stock a huge range of beers, spirits, wine etc. Above the shop is a bar called, The House Of Trembling Madness, which is only accessed via the shop. Well worth a visit.

Comment

Since I am not a huge drinker I am mostly looking forward to the opportunity to get a crate of Bramley apple yogurt. Mmm... the one decent breakfast food in all the UK.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                  Since I am not a huge drinker I am mostly looking forward to the opportunity to get a crate of Bramley apple yogurt. Mmm... the one decent breakfast food in all the UK.
                  Not quite up to the standards of Pop Tarts huh?

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by cats meat man View Post
                    Above the shop is a bar called, The House Of Trembling Madness.
                    Now that would be a very good name for a new JTR site.
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

My husband and I are wondering if it is at all possible to do this trip. I'm currently looking at flights, I imagine one can always get a hotel in York on that weekend, but of course I would book early.

The current plan is we would fly into London, Tuesday 25, get there 26 stay there till Saturday, as we are coming from Phoenix Az and have never seen London, of course 2 days is nothing, but we can't stay forever, and it's hard to get away for much more than 1 week.

Then take the train? to York. I think that is about 5 hours 15 min on the National Express railway system. This would be Saturday morning, stay in York till Monday then rail it back to London. See York prior to times at the conference.

Is this totally crazy? Does anyone have a better idea of how to get to York?

Would really love to do this, would be fabulous. I also hope there are tickets left by the time we make a reservation, have to work out details first.

Please, any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by cats meat man View Post
                        Hello GM. Theakston XB, Old Peculiar, Samuel Smiths, Black Sheep, to name a few. Have a stroll along Stonegate. There's a place there called The Beer Bottle Shop, or something like that. When I was there last, I remember music playing in the background which was something like a Country & Western tribute to ACDC. Anyway, they stock a huge range of beers, spirits, wine etc. Above the shop is a bar called, The House Of Trembling Madness, which is only accessed via the shop. Well worth a visit.
                        Black sheep ones are Good,I believe it's where Mr.Theakston went after selling the name...........

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                          Is this totally crazy? Does anyone have a better idea of how to get to York?
                          I hope your plan's not crazy, Beowulf, because it's more or less exactly what my wife and I are doing. We fly to London and take the train to York out of King's Cross; I'm told it takes a little over two hours to get there. It would be nicer, though, if you could extend your visit to ten days or so. There is, as you say, a lot to see in both cities and it would be a shame to rush your trip too much.

And thanks for the advice, CMM and Steve. I'll make a note of the names of the ales you recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                            I hope your plan's not crazy, Beowulf, because it's more or less exactly what my wife and I are doing. We fly to London and take the train to York out of King's Cross; I'm told it takes a little over two hours to get there. It would be nicer, though, if you could extend your visit to ten days or so. There is, as you say, a lot to see in both cities and it would be a shame to rush your trip too much.

And thanks for the advice, CMM and Steve. I'll make a note of the names of the ales you recommend.
                            Yes, I would like to extend the trip, just even to 8 days and am working on it. I take it you are doing the Ripper walk, it's one of the things I think would be important for this trip. Unless you've already been.

I hope you have a good time, and if we do go maybe we can toast one another with one of those ales that sound so good. Wonky Donkey has my ear, oops better not say that on this site

Comment

You should definitely go on a JtR tour, Beowulf. I've been on Donald Rumbelow's walk a couple of times and I always recommend it to people because: 1) he's so good at it; and, 2) he could retire at any time and it would be a shame to miss him while you have the chance. This time, I'm hoping to go on the tours conducted by John Bennett or Phillip Hutchinson. In fact I'll go on both tours if those gentlemen are working during the week after the conference.

If you and your husband can make it, I'd be happy to buy the first round of WD---although, personally, I might go for a pint of Old Peculiar. Great name for an ale.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                                You should definitely go on a JtR tour, Beowulf. I've been on Donald Rumbelow's walk a couple of times and I always recommend it to people because: 1) he's so good at it; and, 2) he could retire at any time and it would be a shame to miss him while you have the chance. This time, I'm hoping to go on the tours conducted by John Bennett or Phillip Hutchinson. In fact I'll go on both tours if those gentlemen are working during the week after the conference.

If you and your husband can make it, I'd be happy to buy the first round of WD---although, personally, I might go for a pint of Old Peculiar. Great name for an ale.
                                Lol. Yes. Well that's awfully nice of you, and so then we will reciprocate with a pint of O.P. Dang, that ole ripper hadn't a clue what he started!

How wonderful to have gone on Rumbelow's tour, a virtual god in Ripperology. I read his book first. So well written.

Don't know the others but I would certainly check their names out if we can get this thing going.

As for the speakers at the conference, quite a list! Surely there is a favorite for everyone. In fact I'm stunned at the list, what else would draw one half way round the world for a conference...

except maybe a nip of the Wonky Donkey

Comment

Working...
                                X