Underground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underground?

The American television series "Cities of the Underworld" on the History Channel just recently proposed a theory I had never thought of before, one I'm not sure how seriously to take. This is a show that examines various interesting historical places that happen to be below ground. Their theory on Jack the Ripper is that he may have acheived his mysterious escapes after committing each murder by disappearing down manholes and using the underground sewer tunnels beneath London's streets. They do acknowledge that in so escaping from police detection he would have been in further danger from methane gas pockets or drowning. I am skeptical of this theory, but does anyone else care to offer their opinions? How much awareness did Victorian Londoners- and Eastenders in particular- have of the network of sewer tunnels beneath their feet?

Old Theory

Originally posted by kensei View Post
    The American television series "Cities of the Underworld" on the History Channel just recently proposed a theory I had never thought of before, one I'm not sure how seriously to take. This is a show that examines various interesting historical places that happen to be below ground. Their theory on Jack the Ripper is that he may have acheived his mysterious escapes after committing each murder by disappearing down manholes and using the underground sewer tunnels beneath London's streets. They do acknowledge that in so escaping from police detection he would have been in further danger from methane gas pockets or drowning. I am skeptical of this theory, but does anyone else care to offer their opinions? How much awareness did Victorian Londoners- and Eastenders in particular- have of the network of sewer tunnels beneath their feet?
    This is an old theory, in fact as old as the murders themselves. It was considered in October 1888 -

Click image for larger version

Name:	atsewers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	655158
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Hi Kensei-
      I've heard all sorts along these lines- disappearing down manhole covers etc- hardly the most subtle way of disappearing though- Easier and certainly less worrying for any onlookers would be along these lines-aka The Underground!!!

Suz xx
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Other Suggestions

There were other suggestions of the sewer theory, this is one sent to the City Police on October 3, 1888 -

Name:	atsewers2.jpg
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	655159
        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Stewart, All

It would seem that this suggestion was taken seriously as a team of men were sent into the sewer system in Mitre Street to search for a knife, clothing etc.

Its possible this letter may have triggered such a search.
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

If he disappeared down a sewer after murdering Kate, why not discard the piece of apron underground?

It does at least offer an alternative explanation for the faeces on the apron!

Comment

Hello all,

The expansion of the Underground was taking place in the East End during this period, attempting to broaden the reach of the main line and obviously provide more comprehensive local coverage. It occurred to me that there may have been nightshifts, but I had been told a while back on here that the access doors to stations were locked by midnight or 1am. There is a station around the corner from the Bucks Row murder site I believe.

I think the manhole/sewer grate search was not just for clues on Kates murder, I think the Police wanted to find the accessway of the Post Office Robbers as well. It was broken into sometime over that same weekend. And interesting that in a later incident, we have mention of a Senior Post Office official and a member of Parliment visiting a "Ripper" murder site, along with the Irish Constabulary representatives.

Its interesting to me anyway that these folks visited the site at the height of the crowds, because Ive wondered if there were unreported engravings, plates, or moulds taken as well as stamps and money. Like pound note plates for example, I understand they were shipped about the country on occassion. Pure speculation of course, but it would be ironic if say the Fenians pulled off the post office job and were printing fake notes to finance the assassination plot in the works. Just daydreaming...dont get on me.

Best regards all.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2008, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Hi Michael

Re the trains, I'm sure Bernard Brown has an answer for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  Hi Michael

Re the trains, I'm sure Bernard Brown has an answer for that.
                  Do you mean the construction or stations hours Robert, cause I already have a brief study on the Underground and that expansion on file. I used to be able to name all the ones in the East End by memory, as many were not what they are called currently, alas.... I believe 2 stations, perhaps 3, were under construction in the area we are concerned with during 1888.

Cheers Robert.

Comment

Heres a neat image.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sam Luck

Date: 1974. John Eastcott photographed these two cleaners, Sam Luck (left) and Robert Attwood, beneath Lower Thames Street in a 19th-century brick sewer. The men had worked in the sewers for 18 and 23 years respectively. Both men had previously been dustmen. The men lowered a special lamp into the sewer 20 minutes before they went down, to check for flammable gases that may have developed. Once below surface, the men worked close to the lamp. If it went out, they had to leave immediately. The shovel the men used was called a 'larry'. It was pulled along the sewer to clear any trapped debris. - Paddy

Name:	sewer.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	655163

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Thanks Robert...and by the way,nice to chat with you...been a while.

That photo reminded me that many East Coast Canadian men worked on the battlefield tunneling in World War 1, I wonder if Canadians were known for that kind of work back in 88.

Best regards.

Comment

Hi Michael

Nice to talk to you too.

If there were Canadians in 1888 London, hopefully they weren't laying explosives! The Germans copped it in a big way from a massive underground explosion.

Thanks for that, Paddy. They look like Randall and Hopkirk (deceased).

Comment

Jack wouldn't have made it to far in the sewers because the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would have gotten wind of him, time traveled to East End London and then ended his bloody reign.
                            Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

Working...
                            X