"Ripper: The Secret Life of Walter Sickert"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ripper: The Secret Life of Walter Sickert"

Coming in January, 2017, from Patricia Cornwell.
    Here is the synopsis from Barnes & Noble:

"From New York Times bestselling author Patricia Cornwell comes Ripper: The Secret Life of Walter Sickert, a comprehensive and intriguing exposé of one of the world’s most chilling cases of serial murder—and the police force that failed to solve it.

Vain and charismatic Walter Sickert made a name for himself as a painter in Victorian London. But the ghoulish nature of his art—as well as extensive evidence—points to another name, one that’s left its bloody mark on the pages of history: Jack the Ripper. Cornwell has collected never-before-seen archival material—including a rare mortuary photo, personal correspondence and a will with a mysterious autopsy clause—and applied cutting-edge forensic science to open an old crime to new scrutiny.

Incorporating material from Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper—Case Closed, this new edition has been revised and expanded to include eight new chapters."
    Last edited by Pcdunn; 12-16-2016, 09:27 AM. Reason: fixing a typo
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

It'll be ****. Cornwell is a buffoon.

Comment

Not interested in re-reading "case closed" but looking forward to the eight extra chapters.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        Coming in January, 2017, from Patricia Cornwell.
        Here is the synopsis from Barnes & Noble:

"From New York Times bestselling author Patricia Cornwell comes Ripper: The Secret Life of Walter Sickert, a comprehensive and intriguing exposé of one of the world’s most chilling cases of serial murder—and the police force that failed to solve it.

Vain and charismatic Walter Sickert made a name for himself as a painter in Victorian London. But the ghoulish nature of his art—as well as extensive evidence—points to another name, one that’s left its bloody mark on the pages of history: Jack the Ripper. Cornwell has collected never-before-seen archival material—including a rare mortuary photo, personal correspondence and a will with a mysterious autopsy clause—and applied cutting-edge forensic science to open an old crime to new scrutiny.

Incorporating material from Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper—Case Closed, this new edition has been revised and expanded to include eight new chapters."
        yaaaaawwwnnnn
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman View Post
          Not interested in re-reading "case closed" but looking forward to the eight extra chapters.

Dan
          But Why?

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
            But Why?

It'll be fun and I enjoy reading up on others opinions. "Case Closed" was the first suspect book I ever read on JTR (7 bucks bargain rack at B&N) and found it entertaining. I cant remember all the details but there are some strange ties with Sickert. More so than some of the other suspects. At the end of the day if all Cornwell did was prove W.S. possibly wrote some Ripper letters, than that's an interesting find and also a little creepy.

Dan

Comment

"including a rare mortuary photo"

Any news on that ? Sounds like it could be the most interesting thing about the book. Although I'd prefer "unseen" rather than "rare" !

Comment

Originally posted by hkev View Post
                "including a rare mortuary photo"

Any news on that ? Sounds like it could be the most interesting thing about the book. Although I'd prefer "unseen" rather than "rare" !
                You can bet your backside it has been photoshopped.

I wouldn't trust such a claim.

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                  You can bet your backside it has been photoshopped.

Phil
                  You mean like the face that appeared in the MJK crime scene when the photo was enhanced?

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman View Post
                    You mean like the face that appeared in the MJK crime scene when the photo was enhanced?
                    No. Just played with.

It could be the recently found Eddowes mortuary photo though..courtesy of Messrs Clack and Bell via the City police museum.

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

I came across the book notice in an e-mailed advertisement today at work, and thought some here might be interested. Release date is Jan. 17.

I haven't read the original version of her book, so I just might take a look at this one.
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

Amazon UK list a kindle version and a hardback version but no softback version.
                        Under product details for the kindle version it says 217 pages. Shorter than Case Closed - my softback version of that is 389 pages.
                        The kindle edition is £3.98. Hardback £23.70.
                        I might go for the kindle version at that price.
                        These are not clues, Fred.
                        It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                        They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                        And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                        We will not.

Comment

I will probably get the Kindle version, as I did pick up her shorter work as an e-book.

After just reading the What's the Worst JTR Book? thread and all the trashing "Portrait" has taken, it will be an interesting read, I'm sure!
                          ---------------
                          ---------------

Comment

If the case was closed, why the need for 8 new chapters?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                              If the case was closed, why the need for 8 new chapters?

Indeed, it's like the opposite of the 'Never Ending Story' that was only on for 90 mins..

Comment

Working...
                              X