Khan v Canelo This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khan v Canelo This Weekend

Turns out we have Khan fighting Canelo this weekend.

I know there are a few boxing fans on here, so any predictions?

Long story short, I think Khan is in serious danger of getting badly hurt with this one - for a few reasons.

I am actually very excited for this fight, I don't think it is as easy a fight for Canelo as most people think (but it could be.... let me explain)

Canelo does have a problem with fast fighters, and Khan is about as fast as you can get... so IF (and it's a big if) Amir can keep his cool and fight a smart boxing match.. it can be an interesting fight... a few problems with this though

1- Khan is too brave for his own good.... that's why fans love watching him... he tends to like to brawl...especially if he get tagged once.. like a switch flips and he turns into a brawler... this would be a HUGE mistake against a puncher like Canelo...and he knows it.. he has to keep his head....he can not match Canelo in the power dept. or the chin dept.

2- even if he does keep his cool.....well, his chin isn't that great and over 12 rounds Canelo can catch him...

I think Alvarez will win... and will knock Khan out.. possibly early.. but there is a chance that Khan can make a fight out of it.... Canelo was never able to catch Floyd.. and Khan is EVERY BIT AS FAST AS FLOYD.... just has more "balls" than Floyd ever did... and that could get him in trouble.....

funny thing is.. the more "interesting" fights will be the one after this fight.....IF Khan can pull it out (not very likely.. but possible) I'll bet Floyd Mayweather comes out of "retirement" to fight him... but if Canelo wins... that sets up a SUPERFIGHT with GGG.....and Gennady Golovkin Vs. Canelo Alvarez has the potential to be Hagler VS. Hearns!!! (for those of you too young to know what Hagler vs. Hearns is.... YouTube it... actually any boxing fan should YouTube it to watch or re-watch it.. may be the most exciting 9 minutes in boxing history)!!

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
      I am actually very excited for this fight, I don't think it is as easy a fight for Canelo as most people think (but it could be.... let me explain)

Canelo does have a problem with fast fighters, and Khan is about as fast as you can get... so IF (and it's a big if) Amir can keep his cool and fight a smart boxing match.. it can be an interesting fight... a few problems with this though

1- Khan is too brave for his own good.... that's why fans love watching him... he tends to like to brawl...especially if he get tagged once.. like a switch flips and he turns into a brawler... this would be a HUGE mistake against a puncher like Canelo...and he knows it.. he has to keep his head....he can not match Canelo in the power dept. or the chin dept.

2- even if he does keep his cool.....well, his chin isn't that great and over 12 rounds Canelo can catch him...

I think Alvarez will win... and will knock Khan out.. possibly early.. but there is a chance that Khan can make a fight out of it.... Canelo was never able to catch Floyd.. and Khan is EVERY BIT AS FAST AS FLOYD.... just has more "balls" than Floyd ever did... and that could get him in trouble.....

funny thing is.. the more "interesting" fights will be the one after this fight.....IF Khan can pull it out (not very likely.. but possible) I'll bet Floyd Mayweather comes out of "retirement" to fight him... but if Canelo wins... that sets up a SUPERFIGHT with GGG.....and Gennady Golovkin Vs. Canelo Alvarez has the potential to be Hagler VS. Hearns!!! (for those of you too young to know what Hagler vs. Hearns is.... YouTube it... actually any boxing fan should YouTube it to watch or re-watch it.. may be the most exciting 9 minutes in boxing history)!!

Steadmund Brand
      Amir doesn't have great timing nor is he clever. Yes, fast hands, but he throws punches in a flurry of speed that do very little damage. It looks good, granted, but wouldn't trouble the better fighters.

And, when he's caught he's stunned to the point that he can't get himself together in that situation, so when troubled by Algieri and sparked by Garcia he has a real problem against someone who has genuine power.

Amir showed against Maidana that he has courage in that he stayed around and took a few more, but he was saved by the bell and if this fella catches him, which he will, Amir simply doesn't have the wit to stay out of danger and the next one will knock him into next week.

The general feeling over here is that Amir is hugely over-rated because he fights straight on, and so is very easy to hit, and once he gets hit he can't cope with it.

Canelo has power that is new territory for Amir and Canelo has good timing. Amir simply isn't slick enough to stay away from danger or get himself out of a hole.

It's nothing to do with being brave or anything like that, it's more a case that when he gets caught he has no idea where he's at or what to do. He's stunned. And, if he gets caught by this fella and can't get his act together to defend himself then he's in serious trouble.

Comment

Respectfully I have to disagree....Khan is a solid boxer....he can move...but he isn't as "smart" a fighter as he should be, he wants to be a crowd pleaser, but that is not the best game plan for him....you could blame his trainers, but it is how he is wired..
        he can't take a punch for sure, Danny Garcia sure proved that, but I think he may have learned from past mistakes....if not it's a short night..

I think Alvarez will win, and win big don't get me wrong...but I can see Amir giving him some problems with speed...I know he (Khan) isn't very popular there...or here for that matter...but I do think he deserves a bit more respect then he gets....Kell is the best fighter in this weight on your side of the pond...but Khan has the name now...I would have rather seen Khan vs Kell...but...to big a risk for to little reward in it...at least if he (when) gets beat by Canelo it will be a more "well he was suppose to lose" so doesn't "hurt" his future prospects as much..
        By the way....I hope you are enjoying things as of late...truly is a golden age for British fighters now....so many "champions" and contenders at the moment...not sure how long it will last, so enjoy it now....I am from this side of the water..

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Steadmund,

Kell Brook is the best fighter in this country at any weight by a long distance.

He's the most complete British fighter I've ever seen. In fact he's more American in style than British.

He has a superb defence. The next best thing I've seen to Mayweather. Like him he rolls with the punches and is very difficult to hit and so unlike Khan he doesn't get bashed up.

He has great timing, a solid chin, he's a big lad at that weight and is a very skilful boxer, he can also scrap a bit. If he has one weakness it's that he's not a big hitter but then that hasn't held back Mayweather.

He's a genuine top class fighter.

Comment

Working...
          X