Wapping, docks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wapping, docks

I was just wondering.Has Wapping ever been mentioned in any regards to the ripper murders? Maybe, a suspect from the area or one of the victims who had frequented the docks or had lived there, etc etc. Cuious about Wapping..Thanks for any info..Feel it figures some how..

Originally posted by Lady Anne View Post
    I was just wondering.Has Wapping ever been mentioned in any regards to the ripper murders? Maybe, a suspect from the area or one of the victims who had frequented the docks or had lived there, etc etc. Cuious about Wapping..Thanks for any info..Feel it figures some how..
    Hello,

Breezers Hill where Mary Kelly lived for a time is very close to Wapping and the London Docks.

MrB
    Last edited by MrBarnett; 10-16-2014, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Interesting query Lady Anne...a number of my ancestors were employed on the docks...but the family tales in my case were mostly regarding the intense rivalry between the East India dockers and West India dockers - particularly if they were competing violently for each others jobs...my grandad went to his grave two fingers short from such a dispute many years before...

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Dock workers were the largest number of employed men in that area at the time that were treated for socially contracted diseases, and it was HRH herself who inquired about the possibility that the killer worked on a ship docked in London at the time....so yep, the docks were considered as a possible source of the killer.

The Dock Fire the night of a "Ripper" murder may well be related for all we know.

Cheers
        Michael Richards

Comment

Good evening Lady Anne, on the map Wapping docks are at bottom and the Tower bottom left. The murder sites Martha Tabram through Mary Kelly are shown in red. The crooked line is the boundary between City of London on the left, and Whitechapel and vicinity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pubs03B2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	665759

The map was made to show public houses, in black. Note all the pubs along Ratciffe Highway, just above the docks.

Name:	PUbs3C.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	665760
          Sink the Bismark

Comment

No "Nelson" in Berner Street.
            Is that because it was a beer house?
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

Name:	Wapping2-1.jpg
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	665764

The dock at Wapping was filled in

Name:	Wap2.jpg
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	665762

Visit by the Fab Four

Name:	Wapping_king_henrys_wharf_1.jpg
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	665763

Surviving wharf buildings today
              Sink the Bismark

Comment

Roy,

What a scene of devastation. ( I'm talking about the London Docks , not the Fab Four.) Amazingly Breezers Hill survived, although not the house in which Kelly Lodged.

I wonder whether the dock wall along Pennington Street is listed. It should be.

MrB

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                  No "Nelson" in Berner Street.
                  Is that because it was a beer house?
                  Beer Houses were distinct from Public Houses. A Public House could sell gin, a Beer House only beer.
                  - Ginger

Comment

Working...
                  X