No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago - 1966 October 16 - Seventeen-year-old Arland Withrow is strangled to death by Ralph Nuss who then had sex with the corpse and threw the body in a Michigan river. Nuss, who was believed to have murdered at least two other men, was eventually caught and sent to prison for life.

50 years ago - 1966 October 16 - In Milwaukee, Sherryl Thompson, 18, is stabbed 22 times by Micheal Lee Herrington. Sherryl is believed to be one of at least three murders of young females perpetrated by this serial killer who wound up sentenced to life in prison.
    Last edited by sdreid; 10-13-2016, 05:04 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 October 20 - Rose Winstsel, 81, is beaten and strangled. She is thought to be a victim of Posteal Laskey, aka the Cincinnati Strangler. The serial killer was convicted of murder and sent to prison where he died in 2007.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 October 21 - In Vienna, politician Karl von Sturgkh is gunned down by Friedrich Abler, the son of a political opponent. The assassin was first sentenced to death but was later pardoned.

100 years ago - 1916 October 21 - John Rogers is shot and killed in front of a Manhattan building. The case is a mystery.

100 years ago - 1916 October 21 - In South Carolina, a mob lynches Anthony Crawford, an African American who'd had altercations with some whites. No one was ever charged even though a local lawyer bragged about putting the rope around Crawford's neck.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Wow a big day.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 October 22 - The bodies of Robert and Helen Sims are found in their Tallahassee, Florida home. Both had been first bound then shot in the head. Their daughter Joy, 12, was also bound but had been stabbed six times before being shot in the head and molested. She was still just alive and remained in coma for nine days before passing away. The triple murder case is still unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 October 23 - Five days after checking into New Jersey's Riverdell Hospital for a routine c-section, Eileen Shaw, 36, dies mysteriously. She is the ninth and last noncritical admittee to suffer an unexplained death there in an eleven month period. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was charged with murderering some of the patients with curare but was aquitted at the conclusion of his trial, leaving the case unsolved. He then moved back to his native country of Argentina and died there in 1984.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                50 years ago - 1966 October 23 - Five days after checking into New Jersey's Riverdell Hospital for a routine c-section, Eileen Shaw, 36, dies mysteriously. She is the ninth and last noncritical admittee to suffer an unexplained death there in an eleven month period. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was charged with murderering some of the patients with curare but was aquitted at the conclusion of his trial, leaving the case unsolved. He then moved back to his native country of Argentina and died there in 1984.
                Thanks, Stan.

Here is more information about this intriguing case --

Christopher T. George
                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• It is rather bizarre - Thanks Chris

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 October 24 - Suzanne Reynolds, 25, is found in a vacant New York flat near the apartment of her piano teacher Charles Yukl. He was charged with the stangulation but was only convicted of manslaughter due to some prosecutorial missteps and was back out on parole in five years. A year later he killed another woman and was sent back to prison for 15 years to life. Since he hanged himself in his cell in 1982, the life sentence was brief.

50 years ago - 1966 October 24 - The body of school teacher Robert Pugh is pulled from an Ohio river. Ralph Nuss had murdered him then had sex with the corpse. Three men had been killed in about a two week period so Nuss could perform acts of necrophilia. He was eventually caught and sent to prison for life.

Stan Reid

Comment

• It scares me how many of the half century ones I actually remember.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 350 years ago - 1666 October 27 - Robert Hubert is hanged, on dubious evidence, for starting the Great London Fire. At least six individuals, and probably a lot more, died in or as a result of the blaze. A number of other people, described as immigrants, were also lynched by vigilante mobs.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          350 years ago - 1666 October 27 - Robert Hubert is hanged, on dubious evidence, for starting the Great London Fire. At least six individuals, and probably a lot more, died in or as a result of the blaze. A number of other people, described as immigrants, were also lynched by vigilante mobs.
                          All I know is that it supposedly started in a bakery shop on Pudding Lane, and that the original St. Paul's Cathedral was one of thousands of structures that were destroyed (but that Sir Christopher Wren would replace.

Jeff

Comment

• Not even in England, apparently.

The fire was obviously started by Sir Christopher Wren, to drum up work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Not even in England, apparently.

The fire was obviously started by Sir Christopher Wren, to drum up work.
                              Interesting story (tragic, of course, for Hubert, who was a convenient scapegoat). I took the trouble of checking out "Pudding Lane", a small street in London that (interestingly enough*) still exists. Because I read that it was begun in a fire in a bakery, I always assumed the name "Pudding" referred to the desert, like in "Plum Pudding". It has quite a more disgusting origin from medieval times connected to dung.

[*The reason that I was amazed that the named street still exists is that, due to it's connection to such a cataclysmic occurrence, I would have thought they'd have buried it's name long ago to forget about what happened there.
                              Brooklyn, New York has a similar tragedy that altered a street name: In 1919 the worst subway disaster in New York City's history occurred on "Malbone Street" when a temporary engineer (there was a strike going on) fell asleep at the control, and the first two cars smashed into a culvert because they were travelling too fast at that point. Ninety people died as a result. The street's name was changed to "Empire Blvd." to help forget the tragedy - but twenty years ago I read a book on this occurrence, and it turned out a small segment of the old "Malbone Street" is still in existence in Brooklyn, and kept that name.]

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                                That he managed to start the fire even before arriving in England amply illustrates the depths of his malice and cunning.
                                - Ginger

Comment

Working...
                                X