• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    OMG!!!!

He was inspired by Johnny Depp

Now it all makes sense.

Hello GUT,

I have a feeling a certain dissertation on here may have helped the inspiration. Amongst other things.....

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones :-)

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      Hello GUT,

I have a feeling a certain dissertation on here may have helped the inspiration. Amongst other things.....

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones :-)

Phil

Thanks Phil and same to you mate, hope Santy is really good to those you love.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        Thanks Phil and same to you mate, hope Santy is really good to those you love.
        Hello GUT,

Many thanks :-)

The dissertation I refer to is one by Andrew L Morrison entitled Stephen White, Amos Simpson and "Catherine Eddowes' shawl".

best thoughts

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
        Accountability? ....

Comment

I just spotted the book's latest Amazon review. Hwre is a clip from it:

"... it's let down awfully by the author and his manner of writing. We are told over and over how he has made a lot of money in property and how successful he is. We don't wish to hear about this time and time again. We are told that he has enough money to purchase a property in Whitechapel, again this is off putting. When we read books from established Ripper writers such as Martin Fido, Donald Rumbelow and others, they don't feel the need to tell the reader how much money they have, how they had a hard childhood. It's not neccessary and is off putting. The author comes across as smug, a bragger and it's annoying..."
          Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
            I just spotted the book's latest Amazon review. Hwre is a clip from it:

"... it's let down awfully by the author and his manner of writing. We are told over and over how he has made a lot of money in property and how successful he is. We don't wish to hear about this time and time again. We are told that he has enough money to purchase a property in Whitechapel, again this is off putting. When we read books from established Ripper writers such as Martin Fido, Donald Rumbelow and others, they don't feel the need to tell the reader how much money they have, how they had a hard childhood. It's not neccessary and is off putting. The author comes across as smug, a bragger and it's annoying..."
            Here is another snippet from an amazon review: "I found nothing new and no redeeming qualities in this self-indulgent story of the author/enthusiast's quest. This book is far more about Russell Edwards and has very little to do with the Ripper or even his major suspect "

I can't say it's very surprising. When somebody comes forward and declares the case 100% solved and done without any kind of peer review (scientific or otherwise) chances are the person is pretty self-important.

Comment

Not sure if this has been posted here before. If it has, sorry!
              Found this interview with Russell Edwards at Biography.com:

JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
              JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
              ---------------------------------------------------
              JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
              ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

I believe this book has been slated from pretty much every angel, if the AMAZON critics are anything to go by. But looking beyond the shawl and the whole DNA thing for a bit. How much information is there in the book about Amos Simpson himself and is it worth buying just for this information?

Comment

Working...
                X