Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brook/Golovkin

Can't wait for this one.

Reignited my interest in boxing after a few years of being bored with the sport.

Anyone who read my posts knows I believed Khan had no chance against Canelo and would be lucky to get out of there without being damaged.

Brook is different. Solid chin, slippery customer, deals with pressure fighters, good boxing skills, big Welterweight.

And, for all the talk, Golovkin hasn't fought a top boxer. Not his fault that no one wants to go nowhere near him, but still hasn't being tested against someone who can really box.

Golovkin will start favourite and rightly so for obvious reasons, but if you have a few quid you can afford to lose then Brook could be the best value bet you're ever likely to see in a two horse race.

Got all the makings of a surprise this one.

I agree... I just did an interview about this fight and I was the only one on the panel who said it was a legit fight... as history shows the best welterweights SHOULD fight the best middleweights when they think the time (or money) is right...

that being said, wherein I do think Brook is game, he is a huge underdog....GGG is such a devastating puncher, and a smart fighter, he doesn't just waste punches, but looks for openings and BAM..lights out..

I am looking forward to this fight as well... I am picking GGG but I think it has the potential to be a terrific fight... Kudos to Brook for taking the fight... and Kudos to GGG for fighting a legit pound for pound worthy fighter when he couldn't get the big names at middleweight....

I think we should have a friendly wager on this Fleetwood... what do you think?

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I'm more interested in the touted Green Mundine rematch, but then I would be, wouldn't I.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
        I agree... I just did an interview about this fight and I was the only one on the panel who said it was a legit fight... as history shows the best welterweights SHOULD fight the best middleweights when they think the time (or money) is right...

that being said, wherein I do think Brook is game, he is a huge underdog....GGG is such a devastating puncher, and a smart fighter, he doesn't just waste punches, but looks for openings and BAM..lights out..

I am looking forward to this fight as well... I am picking GGG but I think it has the potential to be a terrific fight... Kudos to Brook for taking the fight... and Kudos to GGG for fighting a legit pound for pound worthy fighter when he couldn't get the big names at middleweight....

I think we should have a friendly wager on this Fleetwood... what do you think?

Steadmund Brand
        I already have a few quid on Brook at 11/2.

If you can offer me half decent odds I'll bet a pint to a gallon, Steadmund!

Now, to me Golovkin is being overestimated and Brook underestimated at those odds.

I do think that what really goes in Golovkin's favour is that Brook will only have two months to develop his strength to move up to that weight, and while Brook has a solid chin; being rapped 'round the ribs by a middleweight, who hits like a light heavyweight, will wear him down if he gets caught a few times.

I do think Brook is one of those fighters who won't get out of second gear until he's tested, a bit like Calzaghe. His best is yet to come.

This reminds me of Benn/McCellan, where over here McClellan was the overwhelming favourite but Benn had the game to beat him. McClellan was around 4/1 on, so not quite as short odds as Golovkin; but McClellan was knocking fighters out for fun within two rounds which went against him in the end as he hadn't been past 6 rounds many times if ever.

Also, a bit like Hatton/Tszyu. Many people worried that Tszyu was too big for him, and too big a hitter, but perhaps at 34/35, just like Golovkin; Hatton was too hungry for Tsyzu to cope with,

Just as McClellan had a tiger all over him and had no experience of how to deal with it, I have a feeling that when Golovkin finds Brook hard to hit finds Brook out-boxing him he may be like a rabbit caught in headlights.

I'll take the bet, though, Steadmund, your call? I'll go Brook on points, unanimous decision.

Comment

I agree with almost everything you said... except the Tszyu/Hatton fight... that was a terrible display, Hatton was allowed to hold WAY TOO MUCH.. not clutch, but hold.. Tszyu quit because he was frustrated that the ref allowed it to go on...the corner complained many times... he complained in the ring.. and the ref ignored it....it is against the rules and was shameful.... I think if Tszyu was allowed to "fight" he would have knocked Hatton out......

Brook is better than Hatton was...and wont hold...I think he will be game but the power will catch up to him.... GGG hits too damn hard... and that is not a knock on Brook ( who I strongly feel is the #1 welterweight by far)... and there is no shame in losing to the bigger man... I think even in a loss his stock will go up ( if he puts on a good fight, which I can't see him not doing)... I think GGG is too much for any welter or middleweight in the world.. and most light heavyweights ( I would probably pick Kovalev or Ward over him.. but that's all.... I think GGG would destroy Adonis Stevenson)

let's see what could we wager.... where do you live?.. I think we should make it something local... a friendly wager...like if you win I can send you something sports related from the states.....what do you think?

As for the Green VS. Mundine rematch... wow has it been 10 years already.... rumor has it that it will be on Australia Day next year... to me... I still give Mundine the edge....provided his hip rehabs well.....but hey 15 million each.. not bad for a 41 and a 43 year old fighter ... I'll tune in... grudge matches are exciting!!

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
            I agree with almost everything you said... except the Tszyu/Hatton fight... that was a terrible display, Hatton was allowed to hold WAY TOO MUCH.. not clutch, but hold.. Tszyu quit because he was frustrated that the ref allowed it to go on...the corner complained many times... he complained in the ring.. and the ref ignored it....it is against the rules and was shameful.... I think if Tszyu was allowed to "fight" he would have knocked Hatton out......

Brook is better than Hatton was...and wont hold...I think he will be game but the power will catch up to him.... GGG hits too damn hard... and that is not a knock on Brook ( who I strongly feel is the #1 welterweight by far)... and there is no shame in losing to the bigger man... I think even in a loss his stock will go up ( if he puts on a good fight, which I can't see him not doing)... I think GGG is too much for any welter or middleweight in the world.. and most light heavyweights ( I would probably pick Kovalev or Ward over him.. but that's all.... I think GGG would destroy Adonis Stevenson)

let's see what could we wager.... where do you live?.. I think we should make it something local... a friendly wager...like if you win I can send you something sports related from the states.....what do you think?

As for the Green VS. Mundine rematch... wow has it been 10 years already.... rumor has it that it will be on Australia Day next year... to me... I still give Mundine the edge....provided his hip rehabs well.....but hey 15 million each.. not bad for a 41 and a 43 year old fighter ... I'll tune in... grudge matches are exciting!!

Steadmund Brand
            I'd have to disagree with there, Steadmund.

Hatton is the best fighter to ever come out of Britain. Yeah, a bully whose game was to pin you down and hit you from all angles, but top quality all the same.

He had nowhere to go in the end as no one at his natural weight could live with him, and when he moved up a weight he beat the decent boxers at that weight but Mayweather was always going to be a step too far. Too big for Hatton, and considering his game was to bully the **** out of his opponents he was never going to do that against Mayweather who has a good few inches across the shoulders more than Hatton.

But, I would lay good money that had they been the same natural weight that would have been some fight because Hatton had the game to beat him. Mayweather didn't like being put under pressure and even in the first couple of rounds Mayweather was unsure of himself which is unusual for him. It also didn't help Hatton that Cortez would not let Hatton get in close and pull shots from all angles which was Hatton's game.

As for Tzsyu, he was worn down by a very busy and determined fighter.

As for the bet, no offence but I'm not a fan of American sports, but I am interested in American political history and I'm a big fan of landscapes, so if you could send me some sort of souvenir of either then I'd take that bet!

I'm from County Durham, which is pretty much as far as you can get from London in any part of England, but it is an area with a rich history - which not too long ago had the biggest ship building port in the world but is also a very beautiful area, and we're home to a football club which never wins anything but has a very passionate and large support. We're also more down to earth than our Southern counterparts and to all intents and purposes London may as well be on the moon. It's a working class, down-to-earth, small c conservative area.

Comment

Working...
            X