Best camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best camera?

I'm in the market for a new camera and, since there are so many excellent photographers around here, I thought I would seek advice. Ideally, I'd like a DSLR with a reasonably high megapixel number and something like an 18-135 or 200mm lens. The cost should be in the area of USD1,200 or about GBP760.

If you could buy any camera that meets those requirements, what would it be?

Hi Ken,

Have a mooch around another Ken's website.

Much sage advice to be found.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks, Simon. I'm aware of the many internet camera info sites. What I was hoping for was the opinions of some of the photographers here who might have suggestions about the best camera for things like tight streetscapes, night shots, the occasional need for a long lens, etc.

Comment

I think whom you need to ask is Andrew Firth, Ken. Look at his pics from http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=205743#post205743, which is incidentally where you plan to visit.
        And Rob Clack of course.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Ken,

I can't help you as I am an unreconstructed film man still lovingly using my Minolta SRT-101 I've had for what seems forever. For me, nothing yet beats the beauty of a black and white print. Yeah, I know, I'm hopelessly out of date.

Don.
          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Geez, Don, I had an SRT-101 as well. I got lots of great photos from that camera.

Comment

Ken,

Geez, Don, I had an SRT-101 as well. I got lots of great photos from that camera.

A still great camera. And before me it survived two tours in Vietnam with my brother.

Don.
              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Working...
              X