I saw a documentary on youtube about this fellow recently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw a documentary on youtube about this fellow recently

I must say the paintings he drew were very sick. No wonder people thought him to be the ripper.

Francis Bacon?

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
      Francis Bacon?
      ... a rasher suspect suggestion I've yet to see
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

How about Goya, Grim? I cannot recall any mutilated corpses in Sickert, just rather sad and troubled people. Now if you want sick, Goya's etchings will do nicely, oh dear but he can't be the ripper, wrong period , wrong country. Not that improbability ever stops anyone from coming up with crazy theories.
        Miss Marple

Comment

One or two of Hogarth's were a bit strong, weren't they?

Comment

Hogarth!!!!........ slightly delicious though 'eh- some seriously naughty stuff

Wanna be a Rake me! xx
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
              Hogarth!!!!........ slightly delicious though 'eh- some seriously naughty stuff

Wanna be a Rake me! xx
              Me too, Suzi. Rather a rake than a hoe
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

One of Sickert's paintings are in a Gallery at Bath, i can't remember if it was a violet or an iris now. Which ever, it was a small oil painting, with simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelley View Post
                  One of Sickert's paintings are in a Gallery at Bath, i can't remember if it was a violet or an iris now. Which ever, it was a small oil painting, with simplicity.
                  Shouldn't that read: some of Sickert's paintings is in a Gallery at Bath?

I wish I had just one of his paintings hanging on my wall. I could be horrible and say that it would cover that nasty damp patch, but I happen to very much like Sickert. The Ripper he was not.

Cheers,

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I've got some pencil cartoon sketches purporting to have been done by Sickert. If I can find the bleedin' thing I'll post it up to get some opinions.

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

From what I have read about Sickert's life, he was a horrible man. He was most likely not the Ripper. However, he certainly lived a despicable life including rampant adultery. It is not surprising that his paintings were strange and disturbing in nature.
                      "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

The vast majority of Sickert's paintings are not at all nasty or disturbing. In my opinion, many of them reveal a great degree of sensitivity and atmosphere.

Comment

Hello from an old sometime visitor who got kicked out during the crash of 08, or 09...!

Just want to throw in my 2cents and say that I think too much is read into there being some kind of resemblence between his paintings and the angle of Mary Kelly's body or whatever the theory is. It reminds me of the belief that Man Ray killed Elizabeth Short (Black Dahlia) because her body was positioned in a way that looked like one of his photographs. Hogwash!

Comment

Originally posted by Steelysama View Post
                            From what I have read about Sickert's life, he was a horrible man. He was most likely not the Ripper. However, he certainly lived a despicable life including rampant adultery. It is not surprising that his paintings were strange and disturbing in nature.
                            I have just the faintest, slightest impression that the only book you have ever read about Sickert was written by a person called Cornwell. Am I right?

Graham
                            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              I have just the faintest, slightest impression that the only book you have ever read about Sickert was written by a person called Cornwell. Am I right?

Graham
                              Completely wrong actually.

I read this, by Stephen Ryder:

, a close friend, Jacques-Emile Blanche described Sickert in 1902 as an "immoralist... with a swarm of children of provenances which are not possible to count." Sickert was known to have had several mistresses, and was cited as being an adulterer by his first wife.
                              It certainly does not sound at all like he was a good man.
                              "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
                              X