Police offices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police offices

I am not familiar with British police hierarchy, so I apologize for what you may consider silly post. Where did Commissioner Warren and Asst. Commissioner Anderson have their offices? Were they at Scotland Yard, the Home Office or elsewhere? Thanks.

Hi, Barrister.

I don't see it as a silly post at all. The Metropolitan Police HQ was at 4, Whitehall Place, SW. This was situated to the rear of the Public Carriage Office and the police station (the Back Hall) was accessed via an entrance in Great Scotland Yard. Sir Charles Warren's office, as Commissioner, was in this building which soon became known simply as Scotland Yard. The Dickens Dictionary of London 1888 lists both Warren and Monro (whom Anderson replaced as Asst. Commissioner in August of that year) as based at '4, Whitehall Place' i.e. Scotland Yard. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Bridewell; 03-04-2015, 04:41 PM. Reason: Add last sentence
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Many thanks

It does indeed help. Thanks for responding and for citing your sources.

Comment

In August 1886, the Criminal Investigation Department moved out of Great Scotland Yard (4 Whitehall Place) into 21 Whitehall Place.

Comment

Hi All,

In 1888 Metropolitan Police headquarters occupied Nos. 3, 4, 5, 21 and 22 Whitehall Place, Nos. 8 and 9 Great Scotland Yard, Nos. 1, 2 and 3 Palace Place, plus various stables and outbuildings as well as a freestanding building in the centre of the Yard which over the years held stores, the Public Carriage Office and the CID offices. In 1890 Metropolitan Police headquarters moved into New Scotland Yard and, later, also Scotland House, the pair of iconic Norman Shaw-designed buildings on Victoria Embankment.

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

The Metropolitan Police shall be returning to The Victoria Embankment (Curtis Green Building) later this year, naming it 'Scotland Yard', almost next door to its 1890s location of Norman Shaw Buildings.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
            X