• Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel Society London Conference 2011

2011 London Conference - Jack the Ripper

Website online now!

For full details of speakers, presentations, hotel and bookings

Please visit -

www.whitechapelsociety.com

It is with immense pleasure that the Whitechapel Society in association with the HISTORY PRESS will be organising a conference on the Jack the Ripper murders. The programme will be varied and detailed concentrating on the film and literary elements within these most fascinating of crimes and the discourse that has surrounded them over the years.

Conference Master of Ceremonies is PHILIP HUTCHINSON.

SATURDAY 1st OCTOBER The conference gets underway and will have as its central subject the interpretation of the Whitechapel murders and the East End within popular culture with special reference to film interpretations in the RIPFLIC section of talks. The list of speakers and performers below:

* In conversation with DAVID WICKES & SUE DAVIS, director/writer and researcher of the 1988 film JACK THE RIPPER starring Michael Caine.

*A presentation and showing of the film MONTAGUE JACK by the writer, researcher and director RAY JOYCE.

*PROFESSOR CLIVE BLOOM presents Jack the Ripper at the Movies.

* Writer & noted commentator on films KIM NEWMAN discussing the world of Ripper films.
    (To be confirmed).

* JEFF LEAHY - Producer & Director of the recent documentary, ‘Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story

* Evening entertainment. The Jeremy Beadle Lecture - 2011: The History of the Music Hall presented by the one-and-only ROY HUDD. Also includes special guests.

SUNDAY 2nd OCTOBER Sunday's events will continue to look at the world of Jack the Ripper but will also look at the media representation of the murder series. What to expect below.

* DONALD RUMBELOW presents - Jack the Ripper, The Suspects - Historical Overview

* CHRIS GEORGE presents: Early Theatrical Depictions of Jack the Ripper.

* The HISTORY PRESS book launch of the new publication : Jack the Ripper - The Suspects by the Whitechapel Society: Followed by authors presentation and question and answer session.

* Adrian Morris presents ‘The Life and Times of Montague John Druitt.

* The book launch of ROBIN ODELL'S new book Written & Red 2.

* The Whitechapel Society Short Story Competition winner announced & reading of the winning entry.

- Plus more to be confirmed.

Full details including Hotel, Location, Presentations and Booking: www.whitechapelsociety.com

Comment

Just a quick question. Does one have to be a member of, The Whitechapel Society, to attend this? Thanks.

Comment

Hi there,

You don't have to be a member of the Whitechapel Society to attend. Anyone can attend and they will be most welcome!

Best wishes,
        Frogg

Comment

Originally posted by frogg moody View Post
          Hi there,

You don't have to be a member of the Whitechapel Society to attend. Anyone can attend and they will be most welcome!

Best wishes,
          Frogg
          Thanks for that, really should go to this, sounds like a cracking couple of days and a chance to meet new people.

Comment

It sounds lovely, why do hotels in London always have to be so expensive? I'll wait untill this summer to take care of that.

Comment

If you go to our conference website and look under 'booking', you will see details of hotels in the area that are not that expensive! Check out the details at; www.whitechapelsociety.com

Cheers,
              Frogg

Comment

I did I checked all the costs including hotel+ conference+ eurostar, all in all this little week end will cost me about 400 euros, yes it's a bit less expensive there probably because there must be some "group discount" for such events, but in January I had checked the prices for the exact same hotel and it would have cost me about 300 euros for 2 nights. even the Ibis in Whitechapel is pretty expensive. But it will be doable cause there's still some time, i just don't think I can do both the Belfast AND the London conference....hmmm I'm gonna have a dilema here.

Comment

You can book the Travel Lodge Hotel (which is in the area of the conference hotel) for under £40.00 if you book it now. As for the choice of going to London or Belfast, I would advise London as Belfast has been cancelled!

Best wishes,
                  Frogg

Comment

Originally posted by mrmajester View Post
                    Thanks for that, really should go to this, sounds like a cracking couple of days and a chance to meet new people.
                    Having been to a number of Jack the Ripper conferences both in the United States and in the UK, I can honestly say that the face-to-face chats to be enjoyed with like-minded people is for me a highlight of these events. It's one thing to correspond by email or on message boards, but quite another thing to meet fellow enthusiasts in the flesh and to share both the event and ideas about the day and off-topic subjects as well. I would heartily recommend the coming conference for anyone who has not attended one.

Best regards

Chris
                    Christopher T. George
                    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

You can book the Travel Lodge Hotel (which is in the area of the conference hotel) for under £40.00 if you book it now. As for the choice of going to London or Belfast, I would advise London as Belfast has been cancelled!

Best wishes,
                      Frogg

Have already asked you this on FB Frogg, but can you link to a page showing that price as when I checked the Travelodge website it was £80 a night?

Comment

Best wishes,
                        Frogg
                        I thought it was only "reported". well then, london it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                          It's one thing to correspond by email or on message boards, but quite another thing to meet fellow enthusiasts in the flesh and to share both the event and ideas about the day and off-topic subjects as well. I would heartily recommend the coming conference for anyone who has not attended one.
                          Put my deposit in a few days ago. Looking forward to it!
                          Managing Editor
                          Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by bigjon View Post

Have already asked you this on FB Frogg, but can you link to a page showing that price as when I checked the Travelodge website it was £80 a night?
                            Apologised, just realised it was Adrian and not you I asked. Still can you possibly provide a link?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjon View Post
                              Apologised, just realised it was Adrian and not you I asked. Still can you possibly provide a link?
                              The Travelodge link is: www.travelodge.co.uk

Hope that helps.

ADRIAN.
                              Hello

Comment

Working...
                              X