Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 missing endings

Hi Monty

If I remember correctly the book had 5 different endings with regard to the killer.

The publicity at the time in 1988 said that all 5 had been filmed but that only one of the endings would be broadcast on the night.

Lindsay has confirmed that all 5 endings were filmed and at the moment she has an archivist searching for them. David Wicks, at the meeting on Saturday, also confirmed that all 5 were filmed. He also told us that he had had a phone call from St James's palace with regard to the fact that a Royal might be accused.

Coral

PS

Don't know what Philip is going on about!

Comment

Hi Coral,

Thanks for that. Shows how little I was paying attention. I thought it was four - not five - different endings in total that were filmed, and that a certain royal had wanted prior reassurance that one of them was not going to end up as the final selection for the final solution.

I thought the four were described as: Lusk, Gull, a royal or Spratling.

What was the fifth?

Lusk would have been good.

Hi Rob,

I love you dearly, but I'm not a luvvy, so do I count?

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I think that they did set it up so it could have been Lusk or Llewellyn from what I remember. I remember when that came out and I was so excited to learn who did it and even at my tender age I didn't believe that it was Gull.
        In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Hi Caz

Could be wrong with regard to 5.

Sitting at the back io the room - the sound was lacking.

Coral

PS Rob we all love you

Comment

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
            I think that they did set it up so it could have been Lusk or Llewellyn from what I remember. I remember when that came out and I was so excited to learn who did it and even at my tender age I didn't believe that it was Gull.
            That's exactly what bought me into this madness. I was so disappointed with the ending. I just HAD to get down to the PRO and have a mooch for myself.
            I didn't do it, a big boy did it and ran away.

Comment

I think my parents were worried for a bit. I remember doing a class presentation on Jack the Ripper when I was 8.
              I do love that series though. Its very well done. I remember thinking that the Ten Bells was so much smaller than it had been on the show.

Comment

Thanks Caz, Coral,

Just had a look at my copy of Mark Daniel's book and there are four in there. The different endings are:

Lusk
                Gull
                Spratling
                and
                Prince Albert Victor

In that order. Funny as I thought Doctor Llewellyn was one of them, but I hadn't read it in 20 years.
                So presumably there were four endings.

Rob

Comment

Ditto Robert

And I still love you

Coral

Comment

So what was the thinking to the 4 other endings?? Was it to stop leaks or was it that they thought that Gull was the most likely in their opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
                      So what was the thinking to the 4 other endings?? Was it to stop leaks or was it that they thought that Gull was the most likely in their opinion.
                      Well when you think the reason they thought Gull was the Ripper is because his son-in-law signed his death certificate, you got to wonder to yourself what planet they are on. And when the publicity for the program states that secret Scotland Yard and Home Office files were consulted for the program knowing full well that they have been available since the 1970s it makes me wonder if they were more interested in sensationalism then telling an accurate story.
                      And if I am not mistaken the BBC documentary 'The Ripper File' from 1973 made use of the Scotland Yard and Home Office files and David Wickes was involved with this program as well.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                      X