The Ripper & surgical skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fisherman,

Yes. I was trying to point out that anyone at the time could have probably figured it out, and indeed, were much closer to that sort of activity than we are today. I'm sure I could do it (butchery, not Rippery), but I am equally sure my young daughters wouldn't have a clue.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha View Post
      My guess is that most people really don't know the precise location of the womb!
      One would only need to know that it was "in there somewhere", Sasha. If he'd known precisely where the womb was located, he'd probably also have known that a vertical incision from the sternum to the pubes, or the removal of three or more panels of flesh, were possibly not the most sensible or quickest ways of getting to it.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by downonwhores View Post
        I think the first explanation is the best one that Jack probably knew about dissection and throat slitting from his profession or personal experience.
        If so, then we might have expected to see more consistency in the location, circumference and penetration of the throat wounds. As it is, if there was any consistency of approach involved, it appears to have been of the "If I slice deep enough she's bound to die" variety.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

A trained butcher would have been able to decapitate with no problems at all.
          Precisely, Fisherman, which is why I'm not big on the butcher/slaughterer theory. Everything requires practice, killing included, and if it is to be argued that the killer was no stranger to the knife, it's because he wasn't - he'd killed and mutilated people before.

Best regards,
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
            Hi downonwhores,

And how are you?

I agree, and that's why I tend to rule out a medical man. Surgeons rarely cuts people's throats, and they are also not used to work under such conditions.
            A butcher/slaughterman has the necessary rapid speed and the anatomical knowledge to efficiently cut someone's throat cuts as well as how to quickly open up a body. These elements all fits the trademarks of a butcher much better than a surgeon.

All the best
            However,Glenn,it wasnt just a question of the Ripper"s knife wounds and mutilations.What caused many of the questions was the "noiselessness" of the crime scenes.Noone hearing anything except Cadosch.
            And that was what led the medics to comment on and discuss how he had managed to subdue his victims.When they put it all together they realised he also seemed to have taken pains to avoid blood spurt - were they therefore strangled before the throat was cut?If so how? Did he use a tourniquet etc ? And that despite the poor lighting and danger he was able to be unusually swift and precise about this.

Comment

Ben writes:

"Precisely, Fisherman, which is why I'm not big on the butcher/slaughterer theory. Everything requires practice, killing included, and if it is to be argued that the killer was no stranger to the knife, it's because he wasn't - he'd killed and mutilated people before."

Yup, Ben - my take on it exactly. And it´s much more fun to agree with you than it is to quarrel with you

The best, Ben!

Fisherman

Comment

Delighted to hear it, Fisherman! More good points like yours and we're well on the road to ripperological harmony.

Best wishes,
                Ben

Comment

Working...
                X