Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best evidence for left/right/mixed-handedness

Hi,

There have been various discussions about whether Jack the Ripper was left-handed or right-handed or even ambidextrous or mixed-handed.

What is the best evidence for any of these types, do you think?

And what do you think is the strongest evidence against any or some of them?

Regards, Pierre

I refer you to the opinion of Dr Biggs, the forensic pathologist consulted by Trevor Marriott (Marriott, 2013). I'm afraid this is impossible to determine from the available evidence so I'm going to have regard this thread as being immediately redundant.
    Last edited by John G; 03-12-2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      Hi,

There have been various discussions about whether Jack the Ripper was left-handed or right-handed or even ambidextrous or mixed-handed.

Regards, Pierre
      I asked Dr Biggs detailed questions about this issue here is his reply

"It is really impossible to say with certainty how the wounds were inflicted in terms of ‘reconstructing’ events from the appearance of wounds. This is something that used to be quite ‘popular’ even up until relatively late on in the 20th century, with pathologists stating confidently that a left-handed dwarf with a limp inflicted the injury from behind using a specific knife, etc. Nowadays it is accepted that there is so much variation that in such cases, apart from a few ‘extreme’ scenarios that can be more-or-less excluded, just about anything is possible.

So in other words, the killer could have been behind the victim (with them both standing), or he (or she!) could have been ‘above’ the victim (kneeling, squatting, crouched, lying, stooping…) whilst she lay upon the ground (+/- prior strangling). Or it could have happened during a highly dynamic struggle, with all manners of grappling, twisting and fortuitous slashing going on. Only persons present at the time really know what went on (and we can’t ask them!), and nobody can be certain about a ‘reconstruction’ now based on photos / medical records"

If a number of envisaged scenarios are actually ‘possible’, then nobody can really argue in favour of a particular one any more than another.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
        I refer you to the opinion of Dr Biggs, the forensic pathologist consulted by Trevor Marriott (Marriott, 2013). I'm afraid this is impossible to determine from the available evidence so I'm going to have regard this thread as being immediately redundant.
        John
        I have printed what he said i think it is relevant to all of the scenarios being suggested about how it is perceived the victims were murdered.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

"It is really impossible to say with certainty how the wounds were inflicted in terms of ‘reconstructing’ events from the appearance of wounds. This is something that used to be quite ‘popular’ even up until relatively late on in the 20th century, with pathologists stating confidently that a left-handed dwarf with a limp inflicted the injury from behind using a specific knife, etc. Nowadays it is accepted that there is so much variation that in such cases, apart from a few ‘extreme’ scenarios that can be more-or-less excluded, just about anything is possible.

So in other words, the killer could have been behind the victim (with them both standing), or he (or she!) could have been ‘above’ the victim (kneeling, squatting, crouched, lying, stooping…) whilst she lay upon the ground (+/- prior strangling). Or it could have happened during a highly dynamic struggle, with all manners of grappling, twisting and fortuitous slashing going on. Only persons present at the time really know what went on (and we can’t ask them!), and nobody can be certain about a ‘reconstruction’ now based on photos / medical records"

If a number of envisaged scenarios are actually ‘possible’, then nobody can really argue in favour of a particular one any more than another.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
          Mr Marriott,

I think that makes it very clear, that without knowing how the attacks took place, it is not possible to conclude if the killer or indeed killers were left or right handed,
          regards

Steve

Comment

John
            I have printed what he said i think it is relevant to all of the scenarios being suggested about how it is perceived the victims were murdered.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
            Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your excellent post. I think you have effectively summarized the matter; it seems pretty obvious that any attempt to arrive at a definitive conclusion, based upon the available evidence, will prove fruitless and, therefore, as I noted earlier, this thread is clearly redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
              Mr Marriott,

I think that makes it very clear, that without knowing how the attacks took place, it is not possible to conclude if the killer or indeed killers were left or right handed,
              regards

Steve
              And most importantly whether the victims were standing up or lying down when their throats were cut.

Comment

Doesn't the idea of handedness really only apply in situations where only the dominant (or "fine") hand could accomplish the task? And wouldn't the task have to be something where mixed handedness isn't common? And how do you count actions that are using both hands simultaneously?
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hi,

Regards, Pierre
                  To begin, less than 1% of any given group will be ambidexterous in any study, so the odds that the killer possessed this attribute are small. I would think that where the blade first contacts the skin and the cut direction and depth can be very instructive as to the likely hand the blade was in, as well as the physical evidence as to the bodys position (victim/killer) when the attack was initiated.

For example, in the case of the murder in room 13 the evidence suggests that Mary was in the bed, on her right side, facing the partition wall when that attack occurred. That position does not lend itself to a killer that uses his right hand predominantly. Nor does the position he stood in while gutting Mary, pivoting to place items on the nighttable, or under her head,..etc.

The physical evidence in most of the Canonicals however points to a right handed man.
                  Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                    To begin, less than 1% of any given group will be ambidexterous in any study, so the odds that the killer possessed this attribute are small. I would think that where the blade first contacts the skin and the cut direction and depth can be very instructive as to the likely hand the blade was in, as well as the physical evidence as to the bodys position (victim/killer) when the attack was initiated.

For example, in the case of the murder in room 13 the evidence suggests that Mary was in the bed, on her right side, facing the partition wall when that attack occurred. That position does not lend itself to a killer that uses his right hand predominantly. Nor does the position he stood in while gutting Mary, pivoting to place items on the nighttable, or under her head,..etc.

The physical evidence in most of the Canonicals however points to a right handed man.
                    Did you not read post 3 before writing this ?

Comment

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                      Hi Trevor,

I have been looking for relevant forensic research (academic research) about this issue. It is impossible to find any substantial research.

Has Biggs done any research on it?

Regards, Pierre
                      Last edited by Pierre; 03-13-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Hi Trevor,

I have been looking for relevant forensic research (academic research) about this issue. It is impossible to find any substantial research.

Has Biggs done any research on it?

Regards, Pierre
                        Dr Biggs is a forensic pathologist. He speaks from knowledge and experience in assisting in the investigation of murders etc.

Comment

I think the best evidence for a right-handed killer is:

descriptions of the crime scenes and the positioning of the victims.

These, to me, imply a right-handed killer.

By this I mean for instance Stride, found facing the wall, close to the wall, which would make it harder for a left-handed man to squat and cut her throat.

Or Eddowes' intestines being placed over by her right shoulder, her right leg drawn up - this suggests to me a right-handed killer, kneeling at her right side. As he cuts things out, he places them to his left (her right shoulder) to clear his workspace. Cause of death from bleeding out the left carotid artery, again something that would be less likely if the killer was left-handed.

Chapman also had two separate cuts on the left side of her neck, I believe.
                          Nicholls too had a separate 4-inch cut from her left ear to below the jaw. A more difficult cut for a left-handed killer.

All this presumes the victims were unconscious and lying down more or less as found when they were killed, but I think the evidence supports that (no struggle, signs of strangulation).

The Kelly crime scene photo to me also suggests a right-handed killer; with the bed against the wall a left-handed killer would have been hampered. MJK being placed so close against the headboard means the killer was between her legs and/or on her left side.

While not evidence, I think it's relevant that the vast majority of the population is right-handed, thus, there's no need to look for the unusual, unless there's reason to do so. I don't think there is.

Comment

Hi,

Regards, Pierre
                            The physical setup within room 13 and the initial attack evidence would seem to indicate a left handed killer. None of the other murders have such evidence available. Ambidexterous people are 1% of any population, so 1 killer of Five, an ambi-killer, is highly unlikely.
                            Michael Richards

Comment

All of this is assuming that knife killing someone is not necessarily a multi handed affair. Handedness doesn't matter with tasks that routinely require both hands to be used either alternately or as needs must. And using a knife for any extended period of time is not particular a fine task, does not particularly require the use of the dominant hand, and is frankly tiring and awkward enough to require switching hands at regular intervals. This is notcalligraphy. He used both hands, sometimes both at once. Does that make him ambidextrous? No. It would if he could write calligraphy with both hands. Murder is not so fine a task.
                              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X