Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by caz 3 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - by Simon Wood 7 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by caz 15 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by caz 33 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - by Elamarna 34 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Darryl Kenyon 45 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (28 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (17 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (4 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - (4 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
Rippercast: Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Audio -- Visual

Old 12-29-2017, 10:21 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by etenguy View Post
Was not a big fan of timeless, but I'll try the next series. Other than doctor who, which is top of my time travel program list, the second series of the travelers is the one I am waiting for.
I had to look up "Travelers", as it has completely missed my radar out here in the States. Being neither a Canadian, nor having Netflix International, I have never heard of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelers_(TV_series) Has it really been around that long? Wow.

Interesting concept. A bit like "Quantum Leap" meets "Seven Days", maybe? QL had the borrowing of another person's life and identity, while SD limited the time travel to one week and was a government operation. Like "Timeless", SD used a physical time-capsule.

Delighted to hear you also agree that "Doctor Who" is the best time travel show on Earth. I love the Doctor, all of him-- er, them! Discovered reruns of Tom Baker's episodes while I was in college and took to the program at once.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:19 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Delighted to hear you also agree that "Doctor Who" is the best time travel show on Earth. I love the Doctor, all of him-- er, them! Discovered reruns of Tom Baker's episodes while I was in college and took to the program at once.
I grew up with the Doctor, all the incarnations. The canon says Capaldi is the 12th doctor, but, of course, there were others - like Peter Cushing and John Hurt, neither of whom were counted, even though Paul McGann was. All very confusing.

I think Tom Baker holds the record for the longest serving doctor, but Jon Pertwee was my favourite from the classic series (just ahead of Patrick Troughton). I think Matt Smith from the reboot (though Christopher Eccleston and David Tenant were also superb).
Old 12-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Chief Inspector

You're lucky to have seen the early Doctors. For most of us in the States, DW started with Tom Baker, though a guy friend of mine during college had seen Pertwee's episodes on PBS in the early Seventies, and liked them very much. (I was in highschool and watching things like "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" and "The Fortsythe Saga".) We American fans would buy up the Target paperbacks, simp!y to try to read the plots to those older episodes. I remember being surprised after watching "The Aztecs" when it was broadcast in 2016 as part of the Anniversary Celebration because I had always read Hartnell's Doctor was supposedly "crotchety" and "grumpy", yet he didn't seem that way at all to me.

Peter Cushing was technically just the movie version of Hartnell's First Doctor, so same character, different actor (movies demand bigger "name recognition", alas). Same with David Bradley, playing the First Doctor in "Twice Upon a Time."

John Hurt's character of The War Doctor has been a bit controversial, to say the least. Apparently he is considered a sort of alternate version of Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor (he was apparently induced to change by artificial means, so not a "proper" regeneration).

I liked Tom Baker, Peter Davison, and Patrick Troughton best of the original Doctors, and Christopher Eccleston, Peter Capaldi, and David Tennant best of the newer Doctors.

However ALL of them are amazing performers, and I just plain love the character of The Doctor (must, to have kept up with the fandom all these years).
---------------
Old 01-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Detective

I fear I have diverted us from the thread topic. But it is perhaps a comment on the 'time after time' series that we prefer to discuss Doctor Who.