No announcement yet.

Where Jack got his Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Are All Farmers Potential Rippers Gareth?

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
    I cannot agree that because I suggest more research might reveal Montague Druitt could have displayed one or all of the "McDonald trio"; or displayed extraordinary behaviour towards animals on the Homer pig farm in his childhood, or even towards other pupils at Winchester.....

I know, I know, no evidence of this thus far.
    And that's the crux, really, John - we have no idea whether Druitt experienced an abnormal reaction to the slaughter (or teasing) of animals. If one must speculate in this area, then one should bear in mind that we're dealing with a society in which far more working-class people would have had direct or vicarious experience of animal slaughter, and indeed animal baiting, than did the middle classes. On a percentage basis, therefore (making the crude assumption that a certain small ratio of animal slaughterers/teasers may go on to have psychological problems later in life), there would have been more potential Rippers amongst working-class Londoners than there would have been amongst the middle classes.
    Whilst town people are truly shocked at the severe way some country people treat their animals, I do not believe we can tritely suggest this then makes them all potential Jack The Rippers.
    Indeed not, which is why I'd never suggest such a thing. In fact, as I indicated, the slaughter of animals in the C19th wasn't confined to the countryside at all.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      Sam writes:

"I don't mind sensible, balanced psychobabble with a grounding in reality, Fish - it's when dodgy psychobabble is used to justify a flimsy case against some poor sod or other that I lose the will to live "

That stance of yours, Sam, is probably grounded on something that happened inbetween you and your parents back in your pre-teen years. Could have something to do with a fear of insects or small birds, perhaps...??
      Actually, Fish, it has far more to do with what I've experienced as an adult - usually in the context of work. I've lost count of the times I've had to suffer the consequences of colleagues who, after a 5-day course in psychobabble, dream up one organisational bright idea after another - none of which have a hope in hell of working. The mistake they make is to take too literally the watered-down (and often outdated) psychology that typically gets taught at business seminars - as if the human mind behaves in a rigidly formulaic manner, when it does nothing of the sort. As Professor Stanley Unwin might say, this is a "deep folly".
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I think one thing is clear about him....he's not a traditional sadist, in that he enjoys watching the suffering of the animals or people he kills. In Jacks case, theres every reason to suspect that the women were unconscious when their throats were slit,....(perhaps not in the case of Liz and Mary Jane), and therefore not able to winch and moan as he cuts their abdomens.

Dan Norder once used the term necrosadist, Im no psychologist but that seems closer to me.

Which might allow another type of person into the possible candidates with some knife skill and knowledge....morticians, and taxidermists for example. Certainly dissection students also.

Ill bet under the same circumstances, few of the contemporary surgeons could have done better...if the goals were achieved as hoped by the killer. Based on time and resulting cuts. Annie's uterus and Kate's left kidney...and perhaps partial uterus... come to mind,...if they were "goals".

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
          I think one thing is clear about him....he's not a traditional sadist, in that he enjoys watching the suffering of the animals or people he kills. In Jacks case, theres every reason to suspect that the women were unconscious when their throats were slit,....(perhaps not in the case of Liz and Mary Jane), and therefore not able to winch and moan as he cuts their abdomens.
          Interesting angle on this, however practical limits might also be considered. For instance it would be difficult to perform those mutilations on a fully concious individual due to the subject fighting back, screaming and generally making stealth impossible. The strangulation therefore might have been considered a necessity in order to proceed with the rest.
          John Erwin

Comment

Sam writes:

"Actually, Fish, it has far more to do with what I've experienced as an adult - usually in the context of work. I've lost count of the times I've had to suffer the consequences of colleagues who, after a 5-day course in psychobabble, dream up one organisational bright idea after another - none of which have a hope in hell of working."

That´s odd, Sam - though we obviously do not work at the same place, it seems we still have the same colleagues...? And they get younger and more determined each year!

The best,
            Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyerwin View Post
              Interesting angle on this, however practical limits might also be considered. For instance it would be difficult to perform those mutilations on a fully concious individual due to the subject fighting back, screaming and generally making stealth impossible. The strangulation therefore might have been considered a necessity in order to proceed with the rest.
              I highlighted the above words because I feel what we may be looking at is a preferred style, not a "necessary" one. Its very efficient, this phased technique that seems to be the MO used with 3 victims, Polly-Annie-Kate......Overpower/Subdue(perhaps by strangulation)-Cut throat when lying on their backs (can direct arterial spray away from him, victim is not moving about)-Expose and Mutilate abdomens.

He had options before he killed anyone....where he would kill them, who he would kill, when he would kill,....and he chose in public, working Unfortunates and after midnight and before 6am.....within the last 2 days of each month to the 9th of the following month.

There is specificity....you just have to accept it as such.

Cheers John

Comment

He had options before he killed anyone....where he would kill them, who he would kill, when he would kill,....and he chose in public, working Unfortunates and after midnight and before 6am.....within the last 2 days of each month to the 9th of the following month.
                Hi Mike,

Essentially I agree with what you are saying. I would just say however that given the killer generally chose a public place to do his deed, it therefore mandated that all forms of steath be used to their maximum advantage, including his takedown approach. It might be hard to say what element of everything was most important to him.. ie. was it the location? The victim? The sequence of violations? I would dare say that he may have had to compromise in one or more areas of what he would like to do in order to avoid detection.

Cheers!
                John Erwin

Comment

Yes Gareth,
                  Your observations are both correct.
                  It would indeed have been hard to spot a sadistic animal torturer amongst 19th century working class city grooms and labourers, and country ones.
                  However, my surmise was - and that was all it was meant to be - that perhaps Montague's middle class behaviour was just a bit too working class for his genteel pig-farmer hosts, the Homers.
                  Prompting comment, repatriation, abruptly terminated holday visit; and an alarmed but discreet letter to Montague's family.
                  The assumption being people don't just start hacking away at poor street women from East London, without having had some previous experiences which lured them towards such behaviour.
                  It is highly likely such family alarm formed the basis, if true, of the "private information". JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

In Jacks case, theres every reason to suspect that the women were unconscious when their throats were slit,....perhaps not in the case of Liz and Mary Jane
                    Surely not, Mike? As far as I'm aware, there is no evidence that Eddowes was unconscious before her throat was cut, and precious little in respect of Nichols either.

But... that's for another thread, I guess.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

He had options before he killed anyone....
                      I doubt that can be taken as fact, Mike. But, again, that's a topic for another thread.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        Surely not, Mike? As far as I'm aware, there is no evidence that Eddowes was unconscious before her throat was cut, and precious little in respect of Nichols either.

But... that's for another thread, I guess.
                        Neither showed evidence of any struggle, and both were cut while lying down....perhaps without any noise. To me that suggests unconscious or at best semi-so.

But for another thread is better, as you say....

Cheers Sam

Comment

Neither showed evidence of any struggle, and both were cut while lying down....perhaps without any noise. To me that suggests unconscious or at best semi-so.
                          Or a quick "whoosh!" with an extremely sharp knife when they weren't expecting it.
                          But for another thread is better, as you say....
                          ... aye, Mike
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I wish we could access the records of the RSPCA for the 1800's. There might be a valuable clue there.[/QUOTE]

THERE WAS NO RSPCA IN THE 1800's IN A CITY OF 1.5 MILLION PEOPLE WHERE OVER 65 PERCENT OF WERE HOMLESS AND STARVING... THE CITY WAS FILTHY...DISEASE RIDDEN... AND DOGS AND CATS WERE ON THE MENU 7 DAYS
                            A WEEK IN MOST PARTS OF IT... DURING THE HARSH AWEFUL WINTERS THERE WAS NOTHING TO EAT FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION AND THE HOMELESS..

AND I CANT HELP BUT WONDERING... YOU WHAT... THINK THAT SOME NON EXISTING AGENCY HAD THE MANPOWER, MONEY, AND TIME TO DO NOTHING BUT WRITE UP THE MAJORITY OF 1.4 MILLION PEOPLE WHERE THEIR WAS NO
                            TELEPHONE, NO COMPUTERS, NO CARS... NO TV, NO RADIO... IN A GIGANTIC CITY...WHERE MOST PEOPLE COULDNT EVEN READ OR WRITE !!!!!

GAWD IM ROLLING IN THE FLOOR ...PLEASE SEND OXYGEN....

Comment

Actually, by the 1880s, most people COULD read and write. I doubt if the homeless figure was 65% but I am prepared to believe that if you mean that 65% did not have a permanent home (ie many lived in doss houses). Many people were seriously undernourished, certainly, but few were actually starving as there were places where people could obtain at least one small meal a day (soup kitchens and the like).

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                                I doubt if the homeless figure was 65% but I am prepared to believe that if you mean that 65% did not have a permanent home (ie many lived in doss houses).
                                "... but I am prepared to believe that if ..."

Don't be!

You should find some useful perspective, by the way, by clicking here and here.

Comment

Working...
                                X