Did JtR murder on his days off work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batman View Post
    The question is really asking did JtR hold down a 5 day week 9-5 job or similar when looking back at 1888 and the type of work among the different classes in London.

I think it is safe to say that work for the impoverished meant 7 days a week with the Sabbath kept for Jews and Christians. I wonder how those days split out between them?

I find it hard to believe that JtR didn't hold a regular job and didn't kill on his days off or holidays or close to both. This is because journalists at the time seemed to propose he killed on his days off.

The Daily Telegraph
    SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 1888

From the sketch map of the locality given it will be seen that the sites of all the seven murders, five of which are, without any hesitation or doubt, ascribed by the police to one man, are contained within a limited area. A comparison of the dates reveals remarkable coincidences.

The murderer has invariably chosen the latter part of the week, and when the deed has not been committed on the last day of the month it has taken place as near the 7th or 8th as can be. The Berner-street and Mitre-square murders occurred early on Sunday, Sept. 30, and the interval of about five weeks has been unusual, but was probably to be explained by the extraordinary activity of the police after the double event, or due, as some have it, to the temporary absence of the perpetrator from the country. It was on the morning of Saturday, Sept. 8, that Annie Chapman was killed in Hanbury-street, and it was on the last day of August (a Friday) that the Buck's-row tragedy took place. The two earlier murders - the one in George-yard and the other in Osborne-street - are not believed to have been the work of the miscreant who is still at large; but it is a peculiar fact, taken in conjunction with the coincidence of dates already remarked, that the murder of Mrs. Turner, in George-yard, occurred on the 7th day of August.

So my question is, based on this journalist's account of dates here, what sort of class of person would JtR have been to meet the above criteria?
    He avoided the full moon.

Pierre

Comment

Working...
    X