Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Robert St Devil 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Paddy 6 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (12 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (2 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: Police Orders 1st October 1888 - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #191  
Old 08-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Maybrick's... brother was a hop, skip, and a jump away in Regent's Park IIRC.
That's quite a hop. Regent's Park is a good one-and-a-half hours' walk away from Whitechapel.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 08-11-2017, 11:28 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Anyway, here's a geographical profile which pretty much rules out Maybrick: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ler-lived.html
I don't often agree with what I read in the Daily Mail, but I'll make an exception in this case. Whilst Kim Rossmo's geographical profile might not have clinched the argument, I don't think he's too far off-target.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 08-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Hunter Hunter is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Hi Paul,
Before Phil gets his knickers in another unholy twist, I trust you meant the first ripper book you read was Donald McCormick's, not the first one you wrote!

Otherwise you'd have a lot to answer for.
X
An honest answer about "The Eight Little Whores" would be sufficient.
__________________
Best Wishes,
Hunter
____________________________________________

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Last edited by Hunter : 08-11-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 08-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I don't often agree with what I read in the Daily Mail, but I'll make an exception in this case. Whilst Kim Rossmo's geographical profile might not have clinched the argument, I don't think he's too far off-target.
Goodness me, Sammy, you have a short memory. The very first post in The Greatest Thread of All references this very piece of analysis (2008!) and uses it to advance the case against Maybrick due to the similarity in scale of relevance for Middlesex Street!

Talk about turning full circle ... and you were one of the first to respond to it!

Ike
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM
John G John G is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I don't often agree with what I read in the Daily Mail, but I'll make an exception in this case. Whilst Kim Rossmo's geographical profile might not have clinched the argument, I don't think he's too far off-target.
Yes, I would absolutely agree. Anyway, if he is right it would certainly have the effect of reducing the suspect list somewhat!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 08-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Phil Carter Phil Carter is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
You do know, Abby, that you are only able to air your views here about what's ripper history and what isn't because of the diary?

The casebook came into being as a direct result IIRC.

Happy Friday one and all.

And may Chelsea beat the you-know-what out of Leicester tomorrow!

Love,

Caz
X
Hello Caroline

As much as I would love that to happen tomorrow.
It won't. Because you are wrong.

Chelsea play Burnley at Stamford Bridge tomorrow..not Leicester City.


As the person on this site with more knowledge about Chelsea FC than most...Id hate you to end up with twisted knickers because of a Chelsea faux pas.


Have a nice weekend without a hint of insulting anyone. 😊



Phil
__________________
Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE AND CHAMPIONS AGAIN. 💙


Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 08-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Goodness me, Sammy, you have a short memory. The very first post in The Greatest Thread of All references this very piece of analysis (2008!) and uses it to advance the case against Maybrick due to the similarity in scale of relevance for Middlesex Street! Talk about turning full circle ... and you were one of the first to respond to it!
I wasn't aware that I was "anti" geographical profiling back then, Ike. Do you have a link? My memory doesn't extend as far as 2008, at least not in Casebook terms. Before the "Great Casebook Server Crash", I had something like 10,000 posts here (or was it more?) and I can't remember them all
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM
John G John G is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Goodness me, Sammy, you have a short memory. The very first post in The Greatest Thread of All references this very piece of analysis (2008!) and uses it to advance the case against Maybrick due to the similarity in scale of relevance for Middlesex Street!

Talk about turning full circle ... and you were one of the first to respond to it!

Ike
Middlesex Street? Well apart from the diary itself, which is a hotly disputed document, is there one iota of evidence that Maybrick had any association with Middlesex Street.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 08-11-2017, 02:15 PM
John G John G is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I wasn't aware that I was "anti" geographical profiling back then, Ike. Do you have a link? My memory doesn't extend as far as 2008, at least not in Casebook terms. Before the "Great Casebook Server Crash", I had something like 10,000 posts here (or was it more?) and I can't remember them all
There was a brief discussion here about geographical profiling, involving Dan Norder. However, you don't appear to have responded, Sam: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...Geographic al

I've also just noticed that the very first post in the thread also refers to geographical profiling: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...t=Geographical
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 08-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
There was a brief discussion here about geographical profiling, involving Dan Norder. However, you don't appear to have responded, Sam: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...Geographic al
Thanks JG.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.