Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romford

From Casebook dissertaion Cousin Jack - By Rob Hills and Adrian Stockton

"In the 1889 Trade Directory, No. 3 Heneage Street, on the north side of the road, is described as a Beer Retailer. The Pride of Spitalfields Public House occupies that location now. Previously this pub was called The Romford Arms, and may have been known by that name as early as 1888. 3

Note 3 If this was indeed the case, and the pub was known as The Romford Arms in 1888, its name could offer an alternative explanation for George Hutchinson’s statement to the police: ...'and she said to me Hutchinson, will you lend me sixpence. I said I cant I have spent all my money going down to Romford.' ... Now let’s assume that he said ‘I have spent all my money going down the Romford’ instead of ‘to Romford’. This is perfectly plausible, as the names of public houses are often shortened in this manner in conversation. Perhaps George hadn’t trekked all the way from Romford after all."
    Sink the Bismark

1979 - Romford Arms pub, funeral day of landlord - Heneage Street, London, E1

Click image for larger version

Name:	romford.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	657014
    Sink the Bismark

Comment

film noir

Hi, Roy. Don't you think that photo is bizarre? The oddly angled overhead view, the many bouquets of flowers identically shrink-wrapped & lined up with military precision like over-sized lollipops, the few mourners arranged stage right as if awaiting the signal for a street-parade, and then the accidental glimpse of all the garbage & debris furtively piled 'out of sight' in back of the pub?

It feels like a scene out of a Jim Jarmusch movie!

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Thats an interesting theory Roy and could maybe well be the case - worth considering that.
        Good spot Sir.

Comment

A fascinating possibility. The statement unquestionably reads 'to Romford', so you'd need to get past that, but nonetheless, certainly worthy of further exploration.

Comment

Hi Roy,

well, why not?
            That's fascinating, as Crystal said, but is it very likely ?
            If it was the case, why no mention in the police files or in the press ?
            Something like: "After having spent the evening in a public house, the man Hutchinson..."
            On the contrary, I think one press report said Hutch went to Romford to visit his sister (or a relative ? - cannot remember).

I personally am not sure that Hutch was eventually back from Romford that night, but he told the police and the press so, imo.

Astute suggestion anyway.

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

The 1894 map. #3 Heneage is above the B in Brewery. But no PH (public house) notation. Rob's 1889 "beer retailer" at this address is a mystery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	newhen.bmp
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	657101
              Sink the Bismark

Comment

This theory about possible confusion between Romford and the Romford Arms resurfaces every once in a while. I recall a discussion some time ago but, since I can't seem to locate it, it must have been on the pre-crash boards. It strikes me as a very plausible idea.

Comment

Interesting theory, Roy. It's flaw, however, lies in Hutchinson's newspaper claim to have passed by the Whitechapel Church clock on his return journey from Romford, hence his ability to fix the approximate time of the alleged encounter with Kelly. And, of course, had he been making for the Victoria Home from Heneage Street, he would have been heading in a southerly direction and wouldn't have bumped into Kelly, who herself was walking from Dorset Street in the general direction of Whitechapel Church.

Regards,

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Supporters of the theory might point out that it wasn't necessary for Hutch to be returning directly from the Romford Arms when he ran into MJK. The pub probably closed (as most did) about 12:30, and he spoke with her about 2:00, so perhaps he was just returning from a post-drink stroll along the Whitechapel Road.

Comment

Hi,
                      A fun theory, but not factual, GH, refered to walking back from Romford[ not the pub] so any scenerio one might derive, is only relevant to that , and that alone.
                      Richard.

Comment

Oh, quite right, if GH's reported statement is accurate then obviously the pub had nothing to do with it. But I still think it was clever of Hills and Stockton to come up with the idea.

Comment

Hi,
                          I agree, but in this case the facts must be paramount, otherwise we will get yet another Hutch Thread.
                          No....
                          Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                            Supporters of the theory might point out that it wasn't necessary for Hutch to be returning directly from the Romford Arms when he ran into MJK. The pub probably closed (as most did) about 12:30, and he spoke with her about 2:00, so perhaps he was just returning from a post-drink stroll along the Whitechapel Road.
                            Detractors of that theory and any other theory related to whether Hutch actually knew Mary Kelly at all would remind that Mary Kelly is last seen in the official records at 11:45pm on November 8th, and therefore the only way he spoke to her at 2am on the 9th is if he came to her door, knocked and she answered. He could have tipped his hat to Sarah as she entered the court, around 2am.

Best regards Maurice

Comment

I rather think that if Hutchinson had meant the pub, he'd have said 'going down to the Romford'.

Has it ever been established if he had connections with Romford, Essex?

Cheers,

Graham
                              Last edited by Graham; 05-31-2009, 10:58 PM. Reason: Pedantic omission of an apostrophe
                              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Working...
                              X