X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ep. 35- Young Druitt at Winchester w/ Andrew Spallek

Thread for discussion of episode 35 of Rippercast

Young Druitt at Winchester: with Andrew Spallek

Featuring the voices of Andy Spallek, Robert McLaughlin, Ally Ryder and Jonathan Menges.

Stream or download via the Ripper Podcast section located here at Casebook.org.

Thanks to Andy, Ally and Robert, and all who listen to the podcast!

JM

Hi Jonathan

Just heard your great podcast interviewing Andy Spallek. It was very interesting. A couple of points - Andy was not sure about uniforms at public schools. My research at Eton for my book on J K Stephen who went there, indicated that uniforms were not formally introduced until some time after Stephen and Druitt left prep school. Fashion codes dictated what the boys wore. At Eton 'Older boys wore morning coats and hats of varying styles - the School only insisting on a white tie (the academic symbol) and a hat.... Boys for some odd reason did not wear overcoats, in any weather' (Card, 'Eton Renewed') see chapter 2 of my book 'The Prince, His Tutor and the Ripper for more information on Eton. I can presume (don't tell Ally!) that Winchester would have been similar.

Secondly with regard to Toynbee Hall (which incidentally is still there and used as a community centre in case you Americans were not aware) - did you know that Prince Eddy was made the Cambridge head of Toynbee Hall during his time there and Harry Wilson took over this post for many years after.

Thirdly, I would be very interested to hear how much of the Druitt archive Andy managed to read - the index implicates that it is quite vast although would appear not to be centered around Montague's side of the family. It seems strange to me that there also appears not to have been a mention of Druitt's mysterious death of which I have quite a lot to say in my book.

Anyway, thanks again for a very interesting discussion
    Deborah McDonald
    Author: 'The Prince, His Tutor and the Ripper'

Comment

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the additional information!

Sorry we couldn't work out a co-appearance and have you on this episode.

We'll get you on soon...

Thanks

JM

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdonald@onwight.net View Post
        Hi Jonathan

Just heard your great podcast interviewing Andy Spallek. It was very interesting. A couple of points - Andy was not sure about uniforms at public schools. My research at Eton for my book on J K Stephen who went there, indicated that uniforms were not formally introduced until some time after Stephen and Druitt left prep school. Fashion codes dictated what the boys wore. At Eton 'Older boys wore morning coats and hats of varying styles - the School only insisting on a white tie (the academic symbol) and a hat.... Boys for some odd reason did not wear overcoats, in any weather' (Card, 'Eton Renewed') see chapter 2 of my book 'The Prince, His Tutor and the Ripper for more information on Eton. I can presume (don't tell Ally!) that Winchester would have been similar.

Secondly with regard to Toynbee Hall (which incidentally is still there and used as a community centre in case you Americans were not aware) - did you know that Prince Eddy was made the Cambridge head of Toynbee Hall during his time there and Harry Wilson took over this post for many years after.

Thirdly, I would be very interested to hear how much of the Druitt archive Andy managed to read - the index implicates that it is quite vast although would appear not to be centered around Montague's side of the family. It seems strange to me that there also appears not to have been a mention of Druitt's mysterious death of which I have quite a lot to say in my book.

Anyway, thanks again for a very interesting discussion

Deborah, thanks for the information on uniforms at Eton. I would also presume it would be much the same at Winchester. And, yes I have been to Toynbee Hall. I do recall reading that information about Wilson in your book now. We need to flesh him out more. I know he spent much of his career in South Africa but he also apparently participated in the defense of Thomas Sadler (at least some barrister by that name did). You may recall that I have given you some information on the names written in The Osiers.

I was only able to read a small portion of the material in the Druitt files at Chichester. None of the material I read pertained directly to Montague, although it did give valuable insights into his family and did indeed confirm a close acquaintance between John Henry Lonsdale and Montie's cousin Charles.

I would like very much to discuss this with you further if you would care to PM me. I will be in England in March. Perhaps we could meet.

Comment

Hi Andrew, I have a couple of newspaper reports that state Mr. Lawless was employed by Messr's Wilson and Wallace for Sadlers defence, but cannot find a first name at present.
          Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

That was Wilson and Wallis, Solicitors, of 21, Bow Street. There was also a Mr. H.J. Wilson of the Seaman's Union who interjected himself into the case. If these two Wilsons are one and the same then it is not the Harry Wilson of The Osiers as his name was Henry Francis Wilson.

Incidentally, Wilson and Wallis apparently also represeted Deeming.

Comment

Working...
            X