No announcement yet.

Help please, what does this say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here I was expecting Gareth to come in and say "Can't help you Debs, it's all Greek to me."

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hi -

I think it's meant to be Latin, transliterated into pretty rotten Greek.

Letter by letter, then:

nu, alpha, tau, upsilon, sigma (terminal): representing natus, meaning something like "born" (someone will have to help me with the Latin).

And the second word:

rho (upper case), omega, beta, epsilon (very cursive), rho, tau, upsilon, sigma: the last two letters in the upper case for no apparent reason, representing Robertus, meaning something like Robert.

"Born Robert" ... but signed as Roslyn.

It's a pretty awful job, to be honest, and highly pretentious. Old Dean Liddell is turning in his grave.

Regards,

Mark

* I acknowledge that Lynn arrived at this suggestion a couple of pages ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
        And here I was expecting Gareth to come in and say "Can't help you Debs, it's all Greek to me."
        ...needless to say, the thought had crossed my mind, Ally
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          Hello Chris. By Jove! What about "born Robert S"?

What a pedantic chap!
          Wish I'd read this sooner - that has to be right, Lynn (and Mark). I accordingly consign my "talking cat" to the litter, where it belongs.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            that has to be right, Lynn (and Mark).
            I agree. Thanks very much Lynn and Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
              I think it's meant to be Latin, transliterated into pretty rotten Greek.

Letter by letter, then:

nu, alpha, tau, upsilon, sigma (terminal): representing natus, meaning something like "born" (someone will have to help me with the Latin).

And the second word:

rho (upper case), omega, beta, epsilon (very cursive), rho, tau, upsilon, sigma: the last two letters in the upper case for no apparent reason, representing Robertus, meaning something like Robert.
              Yes that's clearly the solution - νατυς ΡωβερτΥΣ. And "natus RobertUS" would indeed be Latin for "born Robert" - and the transliteration into Greek brings to mind Rennes-le-Chateau, where the same thing was done to conceal a message in a fake inscription that was supposed to have been on a tombstone in the churchyard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                the transliteration into Greek brings to mind Rennes-le-Chateau, where the same thing was done to conceal a message in a fake inscription that was supposed to have been on a tombstone in the churchyard.
                The inscription on the tomb read "Et in Arcadia Ego"... which, loosely translated, means "This Side Up"
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

The inscription on the tomb read "Et in Arcadia Ego"... which, loosely translated, means "This Side Up"
                  Ironically most of the treasure seems to have ended up in the bank account of a man with about 1% of the wit and literacy of the people who faked the whole business in the first place ...

Comment

pedantry

Hello all. Latin transliterated into Greek--what pedantry! What an ego!

Now I think you can see why I had a brief flirtation with him as Jack early on (when I still believed in Dear Boss and Saucy Jack).

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

puns

Hello Sam. Putting a cat in the litter? I think you'd better scratch that pun since it hasn't even a whisker of a chance in succeeding.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

It might just be a load of "mystic bollocks", of course. It strikes me that there was a fad to make up incantations/inscriptions in apparently "ancient tongues" amongst some occultists of that era, and later. One thinks of Lovecraft, Crowley and (amongst fiction writers) Dennis Wheatley in this context.
                        Hello Gareth

Maybe not so much the occult motive as D'Onston once more demonstrating his eruditeness by flexing his knowledge of Latin and Greek in, of all places, signing the marriage register, just like how he had to fling in his knowledge of French in his letter of 16 October 1888 to the City of London police, that the killer took an organ "d'une femme prostituée" for which he (of course) knew a specific black magic use, and that the word "Juwes" was actually "Juives"--French for "Jews"--or so he thought, though it's actually French for les demoiselles juives -- D'O, clever pants!!!

Chris

Chris
                        Christopher T. George
                        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

character

Hello Chris. Precisely! And I think this provides a TREMENDOUS insight into the man's character.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Chris, Lynn - I couldn't agree more. The man, if nothing else, was a show-off par excellence. (See? I'm doing it now... )
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Gatos did it!...........see I've been telling you all along!
                              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Why can't these mystics be more down to earth - like Roslyn "Municipal Drainpipe" Stephenson?

Comment

Working...
                                X