No announcement yet.

Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know Puerto Rico actually sends representatives as observers to Congress (to the House of Representatives) but they have no vote. However they probably have some impact on legislation pertaining to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (though not much given what is occurring now). However, I don't know if the Guaranians, Virgin Islanders, or the American Samoans have similar representatives.

I remember the excitement in 1959 and 1960 as the two territories of Alaska and Hawaii entered the Union as the 49th and 50th states. For some reason, in the half century since, no movement for the other territories ever has really begun. A few years back Puerto Rico had a moratorium (only one of several) on whether to opt for statehood, commonwealth, or independence. Usually commonwealth status led, but this time (in the last four years?) it was statehood that led. I don't know if that is going to remain the case now, given the horrible rejection of any attempt to give the Puerto Ricans financial assistance in their current mess. Neither of the two parties shows the slightest interest there.

The Virgin islands (as far as I know) probably don't have a sufficiently large population to merit statehood consideration. And American Samoa is a very special case, as it has connections to the other Samoa next door - I suspect they probably hope to rejoin one day.

But Guam is the curious one. The Guaranians don't make any waves about independence as the sizeable Puerto Rican independence party has done over the years (including the attempted assassination of President Truman at Blair House in 1950 and the attack on the floor of the House of Representatives in 1954, and a bombing campaign in New York City in the middle 1970s). This appears to be due to a residue of fear by the Guaranians about the U.S. leaving the island if they became independent. Guam was seized in World War II by Japan, and the island remained under Japanese control until 1945. From reports it was a horrendous experience for the natives, with stories about atrocities emerging. While it is unlikely that could happen again, they sure as hell don't want it to happen again. About twenty five years ago the Japanese government had noticed how tourism for Americans to Hawaii had really grown from the 19th Century to the year of statehood to the 1990s. It occurred to the Japanese they might have a similar situation for themselves (their own vacation paradise) if they could own Guam! From what I recall they actually sought out the U.S. government's reaction to possibly buying Guam from us as their "Hawaii". Apparently (if this story was true - I sometimes wonder about that) we rejected the offer...most likely to the happiness of the Guaranians.

Jeff

Comment

Thank you everyone. It's clearer now!

Comment

Jeff- DC, Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, US Virgin Islands and the Northern Marina Islands all have non-voting delegate Representatives in the House. They can introduce amd sponsor legislation, sit on committees and speak on the floor but they can not actually vote on anything even of it is specifically to do with their constituents.
        Puerto Rico's has a different designation but I don't remember off hand what it is.
        Last edited by Shaggyrand; 03-15-2016, 06:02 AM.
        I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Not entirely germane to the discussion, but it always entertained me that Puerto Rico and Hawaii's main highways are designated as "interstates".
          - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
            Jeff- DC, Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, US Virgin Islands and the Northern Marina Islands all have non-voting delegate Representatives in the House. They can introduce amd sponsor legislation, sit on committees and speak on the floor but they can not actually vote on anything even of it is specifically to do with their constituents.
            Puerto Rico's has a different designation but I don't remember off hand what it is.
            I'm not certain about the other territories and D.C. re: Congressional seats (outside of Puerto Rico). Thanks for correcting that. I did notice the territories all do have elected delegates to the nominating conventions (Samoa's delegates always introduce themselves as "Samoa, where the American Sun rises every day first...."). Although they are (except for Puerto Rico and D.C.) small populations and delegate strength, they might have some effect in a close convention...if one shows up.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
              Not entirely germane to the discussion, but it always entertained me that Puerto Rico and Hawaii's main highways are designated as "interstates".
              Wait until the Army or Navy Corps of Engineers come up with plans for the necessary connecting bridges or tunnels.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
                I know Puerto Rico in general has a different designation, as they are a Territory and the Virgin Islands are a Protectorate. The US representatives in the Virgin Islands have their office between a bar and a dive shop. It's kinda funny.
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                  I know Puerto Rico in general has a different designation, as they are a Territory and the Virgin Islands are a Protectorate. The US representatives in the Virgin Islands have their office between a bar and a dive shop. It's kinda funny.
                  They are all "insular areas" officially now. Commonwealth, like PR & Northern Marina Islands, and incorporated and organized territory, like Guam and the US Virgin Islands, are no longer the goto terms.
                  I meant they don't call the PR delegate a "delegate" like the others. The position is referred to as "Resident Commissioner".
                  I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Getting back on topic, this is an interesting report about Trump's campaign manager, who has garnered plenty of criticism of his own for being a bully, among worse things:

Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

one thing about Trump, and im trying to find any silver lining in the fact that he might be our next president, is that hes a fighter, a winner, a mentally tough dude, and that a lot of his controversial personal stuff has been in response to personal attacks on him.

hes a strong personality that takes no crap from anyone and commands respect. Someone who dosnt cave in. something that I think has been sorely missed in our US presidents for a long time.

I also am starting to think that hes the type of person that on the outside says bad things, a lot of bluster, (His bark is worse than his bite) but on the inside is really a good person. I know a lot of people like that.

Something I definitely cant say about Hillary, and probably not about Cruz.

Just my opinion, and I honestly admit I judge a lot of people on my gut feel or hunch.
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        one thing about Trump, and im trying to find any silver lining in the fact that he might be our next president, is that hes a fighter, a winner, a mentally tough dude, and that a lot of his controversial personal stuff has been in response to personal attacks on him.

hes a strong personality that takes no crap from anyone and commands respect. Someone who dosnt cave in. something that I think has been sorely missed in our US presidents for a long time.

I also am starting to think that hes the type of person that on the outside says bad things, a lot of bluster, (His bark is worse than his bite) but on the inside is really a good person. I know a lot of people like that.

Something I definitely cant say about Hillary, and probably not about Cruz.

Just my opinion, and I honestly admit I judge a lot of people on my gut feel or hunch.
                        Abby

Not trying to draw any comparison between the individuals, but that line of thinking is just what people said in Germany in 1932. if someone says extreme things, you have to expect them to follow what they say.
                        Anything else is wishful thinking.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                          Abby

Not trying to draw any comparison between the individuals, but that line of thinking is just what people said in Germany in 1932. if someone says extreme things, you have to expect them to follow what they say.
                          Anything else is wishful thinking.

Steve
                          point taken El. and I totally understand what your saying.

which is why I find it hard to believe why our current leadership would give away the house to a country like Iran, and treat with kid gloves many of our adversaries around the world, when they continually call for our destruction.
                          I think we should take those threats a little more seriously-don't you?

and since you brought up Germany and 1932, and in light of my above comment-I would bring up a word- appeasement.

whereas I wish trump would tone down the rhetoric, I don't think he really means what he says on a lot this stuff-hes already backpedaling on a lot of bombastic things he has said.

and like I said, its my hunch hes not a bad person at heart.
                          and again, as I mentioned before, he isn't my first choice by far, and they all make me at least a little nervous, except for Kasich.
                          "Is all that we see or seem
                          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            and like I said, its my hunch hes not a bad person at heart.
                            and again, as I mentioned before, he isn't my first choice by far, and they all make me at least a little nervous, except for Kasich.
                            I think he's a terrible person and if my sister was going to marry him I would have her drugged and kidnapped to prevent it. But I think he is a tyrannical toddler. Not a super villain.
                            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

This is an interesting quiz, comparing the rhetoric of Donald Trump and Adolph Hitler:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...lf-Hitler.html. Can you tell who said what?
                              Last edited by John G; 03-16-2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Looks like he's pretty much got the nomination in the bag though.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X