Publications, videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publications, videos

I don't believe that Deeming was the Ripper, because his method was so different, but I am interested because of the Australian connection. I found out about him accidentally. Following up another link, I went to a site listing "Famous Graves" and it mentioned Deeming's Melbourne wife, buried in Carlton Cemetery, as "perhaps the Ripper's last victim." At about that time, my eldest daughter was working in London and living in Whitechapel.

While in Albany, Western Australia, I noticed on a news-stand a small pamphlet about the Ripper case, but I had no opportunity to buy one. Perhaps that was where Deeming was building his next house.

The Public Record Office of Victoria has done a forum with an extensive analysis of the case: http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/deeming/default.htm Interestingly, his Will as reproduced there gives the alias "Baron Swanson" that he used when courting Kate Rounsefell.

Doug.

Hi Doug,
    I am intrested in Deeming as he visited my home town of Kingston upon Hull, back in 1890.
    He was on his honeymoon with Ellie Matheson, and stayed at the Royal Station Hotel, he left her and went to buy a new suit from a local shop, have his photo taken, then he defrauded a jewellery store!!
    All buildings are still standing, and i have taken numerous pics of them.
    He fled the country bound for Uraguay, but was chased by Hull Police officers, the first time they had left the country to chase a criminal.
    They arrested him and he stood trial and was sent to Hull Jail were Harry Webster was Governor.
    He only served 9 months and was released.

In later years Harry Webster was living in Melbourne, Austalia, and recognised Deeming during the murder trial.

I have a massive amount of Deeming related newspaper cuttings, photos and even his 1890/91 magistrate papers (which I don't think have ever been seen).
    His papers for his prison stay were only on file for 7 years though and have been destroyed.

Deeming used several aliases, and whilst in Hull went under Frederick Bailey Deeming and Harry Lawson.
    He told anyone who would listen he was a wealthy sheep farmer!

Mike
    Regards Mike

Comment

Yes, he seems to have been inclined to try to impress his audience. He told a fellow prisoner that he was the Ripper, which could be regarded as status. He told Kate he was "Baron Swanson," again to impress.

The degree of foresight he used was extraordinary, and a sign of some mental illness. The day after the Melbourne murder, he advertised for a new wife. He was excavating under the hearth in W.A. even before he brought Kate into the house.

I must listen to the bit on the PROV site about "judicial executions." It implies that the trial judge wanted Deeming hanged. That is not how the Casebook puts it. I am a retired solicitor, and have appeared before Maurice Gurvich, but I don't know him at all.

Doug.

Comment

Working...
      X