Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone Sniffing Dogs Will Be Used To Find Amelia Earhart's Remains On Remote Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone Sniffing Dogs Will Be Used To Find Amelia Earhart's Remains On Remote Island

I originally posted this on the Ric Gillespie/Amelia Earhart thread but it seems to haven gotten lost in the shuffle so I am reposting here.

c.d.

Wonder how much there would be for him to find.

After exposure decomposition and scavengers.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

A link (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...down/93166712/) at that article states

According to Gillespie, radio logs show that Earhart used the aircraft’s radio to make distress calls for help several days after landing.
      How reliable is that? And were there no U.S. planes that would risk going in to answer these calls? She was a big deal.

Comment

I saw an ad on TV for an upcoming episode of "The Missing Evidence" on History Channel which will focus on finding Amelia, but I am not sure if it's related to Gillespie's project or not.

Josh Gates, on a previous episode of his Travel Channel series "Expedition Unknown" did a search for Amelia. He tracked down the supposed human remains claimed to be those of Earhart and Noonan -- stored in a box under an islan house! Haven't heard any follow-up about them, though.
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Merry_Olde_Mary View Post
          A link (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...down/93166712/) at that article states

How reliable is that? And were there no U.S. planes that would risk going in to answer these calls? She was a big deal.
          I read Gillespie's book "Finding Amelia" some time ago so I can't remember all of the details. The Navy did conduct extensive searches for her but there were numerous screw ups in conducting the search. Gillespie also states that the Navy was less than thrilled to be involved since they considered what she did to be a stunt. They felt that she would get all of the glory and that their efforts would not be recognized.

Gillespie also describes Earhart as an average pilot at best in his opinion.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            I read Gillespie's book "Finding Amelia" some time ago so I can't remember all of the details. The Navy did conduct extensive searches for her but there were numerous screw ups in conducting the search. Gillespie also states that the Navy was less than thrilled to be involved since they considered what she did to be a stunt. They felt that she would get all of the glory and that their efforts would not be recognized.

Gillespie also describes Earhart as an average pilot at best in his opinion.

c.d.
            A friend of mine who is a licensed pilot told me the same about Earhart's abilities (Amy Johnson was far her superior). The reasons for her 1937 flight's failure were wrong choices she made, especially in failing to keep certain equiptment on the Electra that she jettisoned.

Jeff

Comment

In his book, Gillespie speculated that unknown to her that there might have been a small leak in the plane's fuel line which caused her to miscalculate her fuel capacity.

c.d.

Comment

New analysis of bones may indicate they were Amelia's, article says.

They had previously (early 1940s) been thought to belong to a man, but the measurements have since been reanalyzed. The bones, unfortunately, were lost.
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                  New analysis of bones may indicate they were Amelia's,

They had previously (early 1940s) been thought to belong to a man, but the measurements have since been reanalyzed. The bones, unfortunately, were lost.
                  Interesting. How frustrating for them to have been lost, though.
                  - Ginger

Comment

Working...
                  X