Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Wickerman 5 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Mike J. G. 6 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Mike J. G. 9 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by rjpalmer 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by David Orsam 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (94 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (50 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Slang terms - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Photographs and Drawings - (1 posts)
General Discussion: Jacob Schikaneder - Murder in the house (1890) - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Elizabeth Stride

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 02-14-2017, 09:48 PM
S.Brett S.Brett is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 300
Default

Good Morning!

Im on the way to work... here briefly...

Wolek Ljab Kozminski- Marriage certificate of Woolf and Betsy, May 1881.

Im German and I would pronounce the name of Lajb as "Lieb". If I would have a brother or friend called "Lieb" I would call him "Liebski".

See you later.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-15-2017, 04:50 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,014
Default

Im returning back to the thread premise...Since its been impossible to verify that Israel Schwartz had anything important to do with the investigation, based on his obvious absence from the Inquest, I believe that the "Lipski" feature of his story is intended to highlight the prejudice felt in the East End....which I believe is also the intention of the GSG. Whether this was to misdirect attention to Jews in the case of the GSG, or whether it was intended by Schwartz to highlight the ever present prejudice, I don't know.

But when it comes to Israel Schwartz in general, I believe it a mistake to put to much credence into anything he said. Fanny Mortimer was at her door off and on throughout that half hour, we know she was because she saw Goldstein at 12:55, and she said the street was deserted and quiet, It was only Israel who claims to have seen Liz on the street during that period between 12:35 and 1. Fanny also said she heard footsteps while not at the door, which raises a question as to why she didn't also hear a scream, or Lipski being called out.

Its also important to remember that the estimated time of the cut may have been as early as 12:46, by professional medical opinion.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-16-2017, 05:48 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Agreed, but it's not nitpicking to distinguish between more "conventional" mutilations and the extreme eviscertations, or clear intent to eviscerate, exhibited in the cases of Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly.
I was referring more to Michael's faulty argument that because the murders weren't identical they were therefore unconnected.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:20 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
I was referring more to Michael's faulty argument that because the murders weren't identical they were therefore unconnected.
As per usual you either misunderstood or misrepresent what I said...what I said was that the first 2 murders, which were virtually identical in almost every aspect excluding the extent of the post mortem injuries, can be grouped under 1 killer without any real obstacles. The ones that do not match that pattern, like Liz Strides, cannot be assumed to have been done by the same individual. Mary Kelly was at home in bed and was destroyed, not soliciting on the street, and no trace of skill full cutting. Although you would like to see any knife crime in 188 or 1889 linked to the mythical Jack the Ripper, that's not a pragmatic nor reasonable assumption. Since of course we know that may violent criminals existed in that same time and place.

For example, why you would choose to believe that all of these other individuals would suddenly cease activities during that Fall when we have, blatantly obviously, other cases that do not fit the profile created by the first 2 murders..like Torsos.

Your smart aleck approach to defeating logical arguments is well noted.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-16-2017, 05:21 PM
c.d. c.d. is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,409
Default

"Mary Kelly was at home in bed and was destroyed, not soliciting on the street, and no trace of skill full cutting."

Hello Michael,

So are you suggesting that in the Fall of 1888 there were two different killers walking the streets of Whitechapel one of whom preferred cutting the throats of prostitutes and taking out their internal organs on the street while the other one had a preference for cutting the throats of prostitutes and ripping out their internal organs while safely ensconced inside?

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 02-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
"Mary Kelly was at home in bed and was destroyed, not soliciting on the street, and no trace of skill full cutting."

Hello Michael,

So are you suggesting that in the Fall of 1888 there were two different killers walking the streets of Whitechapel one of whom preferred cutting the throats of prostitutes and taking out their internal organs on the street while the other one had a preference for cutting the throats of prostitutes and ripping out their internal organs while safely ensconced inside?

c.d.
Exactly
It's absurd how far some people go on here to see minor differences in major similarities. I mean you could say there are 5 different serial killers based on the minor differences in c5.

Polly. No organs taken
Chapman. Uterus taken
Eddowes. Kidney taken
Stride. Cut throat only
Kelly. Heart taken
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,031
Default

There is also the point that both of these killers had a flair for cutting the abdominal walls away from their victims, as per Chapman and Kelly.

And not only that, there was also a THIRD killer with this rather odd penchant!!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:04 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
As per usual you either misunderstood or misrepresent what I said...what I said was that the first 2 murders, which were virtually identical in almost every aspect excluding the extent of the post mortem injuries
Why are you excluding the extent of the post-mortem injuries when that is one of the cornerstones you use to dissociate the other victims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
The ones that do not match that pattern, like Liz Strides, cannot be assumed to have been done by the same individual.
Stride is a grey area, but she is the only one who doesn't match the pattern of throat-cutting + post-mortem mutilation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Mary Kelly was at home in bed
And Patricia Atkinson was murdered indoors, whereas before Peter Sutcliffe's other victims had been killed outside. He had the opportunity to kill her before they entered her flat but chose not to on this occasion. Serial killers aren't bound to use the same approach every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
and was destroyed
Because she was killed indoors, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
not soliciting on the street
Isn't there evidence to suggest that Mary Kelly was soliciting that night? Astrakhan Man was seen picking her up on the street, and if you don't want to buy Hutchinson's account, there's the Blotchy man that MJK was seen entertaining. Both potential punters, both potential murderers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
and no trace of skill full cutting.
Perhaps the killer worked better under pressure? After all, he wasn't on the tight schedule of a snatch n' grab in the middle of the street. He had the specimen all to himself, and if destruction was the goal this time, why would we necessarily need to see evidence of skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Although you would like to see any knife crime in 188 or 1889 linked to the mythical Jack the Ripper
Strawman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
For example, why you would choose to believe that all of these other individuals would suddenly cease activities during that Fall when we have, blatantly obviously, other cases that do not fit the profile created by the first 2 murders..like Torsos.
How many murders were there in Whitechapel before 1888? There was plenty of petty violence but how many murders and how many of this type? You have to ask yourself what caused this massive spike in murders, some 'convergence of evil' or was there a psychotic serial killer at large? Which of these explanations takes the least number of assumptions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Your smart aleck approach to defeating logical arguments is well noted.
I'm not the one trying to reinvent the wheel with some crackpot multi-killer hypothesis. At least you aren't quite on the Peter Turnbull level of wackiness, who believed every single murder was by a different hand. I guess there's still hope for you yet.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,014
Default

[quote=Harry D;409027]Why are you excluding the extent of the post-mortem injuries when that is one of the cornerstones you use to dissociate the other victims?

Again with the mirespresentations...abdominal mutilations. Didint realize you envision facial slashes as being in the abdominal region.

Stride is a grey area, but she is the only one who doesn't match the pattern of throat-cutting + post-mortem mutilation.

Stride is an obvious deviation, once you use the grey matter.

And Patricia Atkinson was murdered indoors, whereas before Peter Sutcliffe's other victims had been killed outside. He had the opportunity to kill her before they entered her flat but chose not to on this occasion. Serial killers aren't bound to use the same approach every time.

I could care less what modern theory about serial killers is, as I said.. once again... I believe we are talking about 2 murders by one man, maybe 3, and that is just barely within the serial killer definition.

Because she was killed indoors, no?

No. Because she was killed indoors in bed...location...., because she was half the age of any other Canonical...victimology...., because she was taken apart without any focus on any specific region of her body...signature/pattern..., because she had injuries that are more consistent with a killer that was known to her than with any previous "Ripper" murder, because we have evidence there were circumstances that suggest possible motive.....random act...., and because he took an organ that also symbolically can be linked with someone known by her. Polly and Annie....outdoors actively soliciting, middle aged, both physical compromised, double throat cuts, clothing adjusted to allow pm abdominal mutilation.

Isn't there evidence to suggest that Mary Kelly was soliciting that night?

There is a statement by witness that is later discredited that suggests that. It appears though she was out drinking and came home drunk with someone from the bar, the either slept with the man or by herself.

Astrakhan Man was seen picking her up on the street, and if you don't want to buy Hutchinson's account,....(I dont)..... there's the Blotchy man that MJK was seen entertaining. Both potential punters, both potential murderers.

Blotchy man is a good suspect, if his name was Joe, he is a very good suspect. Issacs is also a good possibility...Joe Isaacs.

Perhaps the killer worked better under pressure? After all, he wasn't on the tight schedule of a snatch n' grab in the middle of the street. He had the specimen all to himself, and if destruction was the goal this time, why would we necessarily need to see evidence of skill?

Maybe because he had possibly an hour or more...he may have had 5-8 minutes with Kate if she is another victim, and possibly 10-20 minutes with Polly and Annie...and the first 2 convinced authorities they were looking for trained knifesman. Not just butchers. They sought out medically trained people in September. People dont show less skill with more time available....Im surprised I should have to even say that.

Strawman.



How many murders were there in Whitechapel before 1888? There was plenty of petty violence but how many murders and how many of this type? You have to ask yourself what caused this massive spike in murders, some 'convergence of evil' or was there a psychotic serial killer at large? Which of these explanations takes the least number of assumptions?

You have Torsos that precede the Fall of Terror, and you have terrorist killings going back to the early 1880's. You also have a number of known killers in London at that time, possibly one who killed prostitutes in Paris using a knife.

I'm not the one trying to reinvent the wheel with some crackpot multi-killer hypothesis. At least you aren't quite on the Peter Turnbull level of wackiness, who believed every single murder was by a different hand. I guess there's still hope for you yet.

Id like say that I share the sentiments, but its simply a matter of using ONLY what is there...instead of trying to explain Liz Strides obvious lack of injuries and pattern, or Marys deconstruction in her bed in her underwear, in order for it to fit modern serial killer theory. Polly and Annie were killed by one man...they were almost identical murders, they were cut skillfully, and their adbomens were the focus of the mutilations. If anything, Alice might match that more closely. Not the rest of the Canonicals.

Its getting exhausting being one of the few here who is trying to use reason and logic decifering what happened, instead of being so anxious for answers that grouping Liz Stride into the mix seems sensible.

Dont have a suspect, dont need one. My goal is to obtain an accurate total.
__________________
Michael Richards

Last edited by Michael W Richards : 02-17-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
"Mary Kelly was at home in bed and was destroyed, not soliciting on the street, and no trace of skill full cutting."

Hello Michael,

So are you suggesting that in the Fall of 1888 there were two different killers walking the streets of Whitechapel one of whom preferred cutting the throats of prostitutes and taking out their internal organs on the street while the other one had a preference for cutting the throats of prostitutes and ripping out their internal organs while safely ensconced inside?

c.d.
I can say with great confidence that I never said anything like that.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.