Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: The Bucks Row Project part 2 - by Elamarna 3 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Kaz 6 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Sam Flynn 8 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by David Orsam 11 minutes ago.
Witnesses: The Bucks Row Project part 2 - by Elamarna 11 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - by David Orsam 16 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (108 posts)
Witnesses: The Bucks Row Project part 2 - (31 posts)
Periodicals: The Suicide of Pigott - (20 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (11 posts)
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - (10 posts)
Martha Tabram: Things which don't make sense (to me) - (10 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Sergeant

Default Denis Birth

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname: BRYAN
BARNETT, DENIS
GRO Reference: 1849 S Quarter in NORTH AYLESFORD Volume 05 Page 418

Pat......
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Casebook Supporter

The trouble with the Shannon stepfather idea is that we still have Bryan. To acquire one stepfather might be considered normal. To acquire two looks like greed.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post
Oh DEAR ! Nothing is ever simple with genealogy. Irish names are a nightmare, constant repetitions. I thought Bruce Paley had nailed this years age,Censuses and the fish porters licenses, except he could not get all the childrens births dated.And Chris Scott found the Allman Barnetto marriage
The Shannon name on the Allman/Barnetto cert certainly mixes things. Katherine Beer being a witness certainly means its Mum but there is evidence for Hayes. I looked for a Brien marriage to a Barnett and could not find one or Shannon.
We have a complete list of addresses for Joe now including Sally's finds.
Paley has Joe's birth cert in his book;
25th May 1858 Whitechapel ALDGATE Father John Barnett, Dock labourer, Mother Catherine Hayes. All the children apart from Denis were supposed to have been born in East End
Order of births, actually certificates needed, its still problematic. Paley was working before the internet
Denis born Chalk KENT 1849? [ east london in census records]
Daniel born Stepney 1852?
Catherine born either 1855, 1856 there are two for Shoreditch, one for East London/
Joseph 1858
John 1859 Whitechapel ?
John Barnett father died in 1864. There are two likely entries June Southwark Sep Whitechapel.
Denis in 1881 census 5 Goulston Buildings age 33 Fish porter born Bethnal Green wife Mary A Barnett 32
Children Denis age 9 John age 6 and their Aunt Mrs Hayes.
Short of getting the original certificates, we won't know. Perhaps Paley was wrong.

Miss Marple
"Paley was working before the internet" - and sometime after the pestilentient Blue Anchor Courts were demolished, I would imagine.

The above look to me like the records of someone who couldn't be arsed to research the case themself, but was happy to slap ignorant newcomers down.

Last edited by MrBarnett : 02-16-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Sergeant

Mr Barnett.
You are unbelievably offensive. Several years age I spent ages trawling through census records looking for Joe's family marriage and birth records. And I found Allman and his marriages I thought Paley was wrong about some things but right about others.In my post I pointed out the discrepancies.I have not looked at Joe's family for a long time and perhaps with the various surnames of Catherine that have emerged its time to reassess evidence.I am always open to new evidence. If you leant to read properly, I said in my post that Paley needs to be looked at again. We need birth certs.
I research various aspects of Victorian low life and have written articles. You know nothing about me.

Miss Marple

Last edited by miss marple : 02-17-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: cut
Old 02-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Casebook Supporter

There was a marriage Oct 9th 1814 at St Finbarr's (South), Cork City between William Shanahan and Mary Brien.

In 1815 at the same place there was a baptism for Cath Shanahan, 26th Aug, father William, mother's maiden name Brien or Breen.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:02 PM
Sergeant

Default 1861 Census

Could the Joanna Hays born 1811 in Ireland be related to Catherine in the 1861 census?

She was living in the same house at no 2 Cartwright Street, St Botolph Without, Aldgate. And listed next to John and Catherines rooms. Her step sons Florence and Timothy were fish porters....

Pat....
Old 02-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Sergeant

Default 1881

Ithink she may be the same Mrs Hayes (AUNT) born 1806 Ireland living with Denis and his family in Goulstons buildings Bermondsey in the 1881 census.
Which would make her Catherines sister....

Pat....
Old 02-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Casebook Supporter

I wondered about Joanna, Pat, but 'Joanna' is different from 'Helena' (the godmother at Joe's baptism).

In the Irish records I found an Ellen Shanahan marrying a Matthew Hayes in 1861, but I had to discard it, since it seems unlikely that she would hop over here for Joe's baptism, hop back to Ireland to get married and then hop over here again in time for the 1881 census.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Detective

Catherine Barnett

Hi all,

I'm re-reading my notes from searches I did a year ago on Catherine Barnett's family.

I have Joseph's wife's maiden name was Catherine Heas (baptised 27 May, 1821) in Castletowneroche, Ireland. Her parents were John Heas and Johanna (nee Daly).

This is probably the Johanna (surname spelt "Hayes") staying with Joseph's brother Dennis in the 1881 Census.

The first record I found of Joseph's parents in England was the 1851 Census where their surname was incorrectly spelt "Bernet". Parents John & Catherine were living at Tower Hamlet with first son Dennis (who later married Mary Ann Garrett in 1869, had 4 children and died in 1893) . Dennis (bn 1849) birthplace is stated Irelan, so they must have emigrated to England sometime 1849-early 1851.

Not sure if that helps?

Craig
Old 02-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Casebook Supporter

Thanks very much for that, Craig. The Heas baptism is certainly intriguing. As far as I can see, that gives a marriage for Catherine's parents in 1816.

Dennis seems to be in the England birth registers, so I don't understand why the parents said Ireland.

The woman in the 1881 census was simply called Mrs Hayes. She was 75 years old. I suppose if she'd shaved a few years off her age she could have been Catherine's mother, but she was given as aunt in 1881, not grandmother.

The widow Joanna Hayes living in the same building as the Barnetts in 1861 had birth year c1811. Even if she was a few years older than that, there would still be the problem that she had two stepchildren of 25 and 16. They have a different surname from hers. So she must have married twice, or even three times. Or else after her second husband died, she reverted to her first husband's name for some reason.