Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jason_c View Post
    Yes, Trump said Mexico will pay for the wall. Trump did not say Mexico would pay for 100% of the wall.
    That was the impression I got. If not, why didn't he say something like "Yes, folks, and Mexico will pay their share"? From the beginning, he came out with statements like: "I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words" (June 16th 2015). Not part-pay for that wall, nor pay for part of that wall, but "pay for that wall".
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Jason, Trump supporters are all doing the same.
      Every time he fails to deliver on a promise his supporters begin scurrying around for excuses to justify his failure.

Quote: "Mexico will pay for that wall!!" - No if's, and's, or but's, about it. No partials, no loans, no percentages, no assisted financing.

It's must be damned had work being a Trump supporter.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        That was the impression I got. If not, why didn't he say something like "Yes, folks, and Mexico will pay their share"? From the beginning, he came out with statements like: "I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words" (June 16th 2015). Not part-pay for that wall, nor pay for part of that wall, but "pay for that wall".
        Because saying Mexico will pay their fair share does not trip off the tongue so easily as saying Mexico will pay for the wall(its not even a complete barrier wall btw). Neither does it draw as many headlines in a tightly contested Republican Primary race. Trust me when I say if Mexico ends up paying, say, 75% of the increased border security barely a single Trump voter will grumble.

So, Trump at one stage said Mexico will pay for the entirety of the wall. Thanks for informing me of that. That's certainly a more substantive quote from Trump than I generally heard from him regarding the wall. Still, its easy enough for Trump to wiggle out of. It's not an entire Wall Trump is proposing. There is fencing involved too. In certain areas its even no barrier just greater manpower and dronepower. Im sure if needed Trump can redistribute Mexican funds to the wall and use US funds for the fence and the extra manpower. Still, Trump saying Mexico will pay for the entire wall does suggest he will have to play hardball.

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        Jason, Trump supporters are all doing the same.
        Every time he fails to deliver on a promise his supporters begin scurrying around for excuses to justify his failure.

Quote: "Mexico will pay for that wall!!" - No if's, and's, or but's, about it. No partials, no loans, no percentages, no assisted financing.

It's must be damned had work being a Trump supporter.
        You really need to read Scott Adams on this Trump phenomena. You'll find ALL political partisans scurry around finding excuses. Obamas failure to close Guantanamo Bay; Dems scurried around finding excuses and justifying failure. Greater NSA powers under Obama; Dems scurrying around to find excuses for failure. You can keep your doctor under Obamacare; again, a scurrying around to find excuses for failure. What's surprising is your implication that its only Trump supporters who do this.

edit: Hillary Clinton deleting 33,000 emails; the 65 million American voters who voted for Clinton on election day justified each individual vote and excused Clinton her actions. Finding excuses and justifications to back a candidate is not limited to redneck Trump supporters. It's just as present in well educated middle class cosmopolitans.
        Last edited by jason_c; 08-06-2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• I recently read an interesting article that suggested voters today are less about voting on the issues, and more about voting against a particular candidate or party.

I feel we must return to the American tradition of bipartisan debate and collaboration in order to accomplish anything-- the sooner the better.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

• I saw a news programme a little while ago and it was stated that local police, presumably state police, don't even get involved in arresting illegal immigrants: this is left to federal organizations like ICE, who have paltry resources in relation to the size of the problem.

Therefore, if the police simply started to enforce the law, would there be any need for a wall?

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
              I saw a news programme a little while ago and it was stated that local police, presumably state police, don't even get involved in arresting illegal immigrants: this is left to federal organizations like ICE, who have paltry resources in relation to the size of the problem.

Therefore, if the police simply started to enforce the law, would there be any need for a wall?
              It all depends on what you think is a reasonable amount of illegal immigration to accept. Figures suggest illegal immigration was down more than 60% under Trump earlier this year. Is this enough of a drop to prevent the wall's construction? Probably not. All it would require is a different administration to come in and relax the arrest of illegals and the numbers would once again soar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                I recently read an interesting article that suggested voters today are less about voting on the issues, and more about voting against a particular candidate or party.
                Canada took over the world and y'all didn't even realize it yet....
                “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

It all depends on what you think is a reasonable amount of illegal immigration to accept. Figures suggest illegal immigration was down more than 60% under Trump earlier this year. Is this enough of a drop to prevent the wall's construction? Probably not. All it would require is a different administration to come in and relax the arrest of illegals and the numbers would once again soar.
                  It seems to me that perhaps the immigrants would rather stay in their own country than live under the Trump Presidency.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                    It seems to me that perhaps the immigrants would rather stay in their own country than live under the Trump Presidency.
                    I was thinking precisely the same thing. If the bouffant buffoon stays in office for much longer, I can foresee a situation where he'll be "importing" Mexicans to address a shortfall in labour caused by indigenous Americans leaving the country
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Or flood across the border in to Canada.
                      U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened not to renew the temporary protection status given to more than 50,000 Haitians after the 2010 earthquake, prompting the influx of asylum seekers into Canada. But many don't know they could still face deportation here.

A temporary welcome centre has been opened at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal due to a wave of asylum seekers coming from the United States to Quebec.

Last edited by Wickerman; 08-12-2017, 01:30 PM.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                        Or flood across the border in to Canada.
                        http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...n-us-1.4233797
                        Did I read aright, people seeking asylum from the USA? That it should come to this!
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Unlikely to be true for anyone other than illegal immigrants.

Comment

Unlikely to be true for anyone other than illegal immigrants.
                            Unlikely to be true for illegal immigrants either I suspect.

I'd guess America under Trump would still be better than wheremany of them come from.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Today white supremacists claimed to have put Donald Trump into the White House, after he blamed "many sides" for the violence between racists and counter demonstrators at a "Unite the Right" event in Charlottesville, Virgina.

There have been some deaths and several injuries after a car plowed into the crowd. To Trump's credit, he did call for Americans to unite against hate, but saying they will "study" what happened today to "figure out" the problem seems a bit strange.
                              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                              ---------------
                              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                              ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                Did I read aright, people seeking asylum from the USA? That it should come to this!
                                Aye, it was a popular threat leading up to the election, Americans would sell up and move here to Canada.
                                Some did....
                                From the female squash champion fleeing the Taliban, to the gay popstar who became a hit back in macho Brazil, it’s often Canada’s newcomers who can tell its most dramatic stories

But, as is often the case others decided to hang tight and see what happens.

We jumped ship in England all those years ago, in part because of Maggie Thatcher. So I can sympathize with these Americans.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X