Harry Roberts to be released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Roberts to be released

The BBC reports that Harry Roberts, who shot dead three police officers in Shepherd's Bush in 1966, is to be released on parole at the age of 78:
    A notorious police killer is to be released after 48 years in prison in a decision described as "scandalous" and "sickening"

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    The BBC reports that Harry Roberts, who shot dead three police officers in Shepherd's Bush in 1966, is to be released on parole at the age of 78:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29734816
    G'day Chris

I think that sometimes the cost to the prison system gets so great that it's easier to release them. Though I also wonder how he'll get on after all but 40 years of incarceration.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The Police Federation is outraged.

Roberts inspired a famous anarchist chant (to the tune of "London Bridge is falling down"):
      Harry Roberts is our friend, is our friend, is our friend.
      Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers.
      Let him out to kill some more, kill some more, kill some more,
      let him out to kill some more, Harry Roberts

He also inspired Jake Arnott's 2001 novel whose title was taken from that chant - "He Kills Coppers".

Comment

Where does he go from here, the nearest old folks home?
        During the lengthy search for Roberts there was a bit of worry as he'd been in Malaya during his national service and had learned unarmed combat, living off the land, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          The Police Federation is outraged.

Roberts inspired a famous anarchist chant (to the tune of "London Bridge is falling down"):
          Harry Roberts is our friend, is our friend, is our friend.
          Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers.
          Let him out to kill some more, kill some more, kill some more,
          let him out to kill some more, Harry Roberts

He also inspired Jake Arnott's 2001 novel whose title was taken from that chant - "He Kills Coppers".
          I don't know about anarchists, but I remember kids singing it in the school playground.

Comment

I don't see why the guy didn't get whole life. Seventy-eight isn't that old at this time. Maybe if he was 98, they could think of showing him some mercy but not now in my opinion. There's no question about his guilt as far as I know.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              I don't see why the guy didn't get whole life. Seventy-eight isn't that old at this time. Maybe if he was 98, they could think of showing him some mercy but not now in my opinion. There's no question about his guilt as far as I know.
              G'day Stan

Some 78's are ancient, like my Father-in-law

Some 85's are fit healthy and working, like my dad.

So maybe at 78 he is a 98.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

There are some crimes where life should mean just that and this is one of them simple as that .
                Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Working...
                X