Diary of a Hoaxer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diary of a Hoaxer

Diary---Hoax---Whitechapel---Murder---What??

Taken from the Hull Times Jan 19th 1889!!
    Attached Files
    Regards Mike

Hi Mike.

The first half at least of the newspaper article in your post is illegible, sorry to say. Can you please give me a quick precis of what it's about?

Plus, for anyone who hasn't read much about the Maybrick Case, there was a diary supposedly written by Florie Maybrick being hawked around to the highest bidder within a few weeks of her trial. Maybrick and forged 'diaries' go hand in hand, or so it would seem.

Cheers,

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Its basically a fictional story about a man who is hoaxed as he sits at home, written by one of the newspaper journalists and based on parts of his life.

The fact that it was coupled with a Whitechapel article put a smile on my face and I thought it worthy of showing to other folks!!

Many of the Hull Newspapers from the period are awful, I spent some time looking at Deeming's trial in the press and about 75% was unreadable!
      Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike, Graham,

Thanks for posting this, Mike. I saw it over at the forums first, so I posted a response there.

I love the humour - reminds me of a Victor Meldrew episode where someone keeps sending the fire brigade round his house. When he asks his wife Margaret who the devil could be making the hoax calls, she suggests they could make up a shortlist of a hundred names.

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Diary

Has the Maybrick diary been 100% proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be a fake? Where can I get this information?

Comment

...from the text itself...

Comment

Working...
            X