Pipeman interviewed and cleared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipeman interviewed and cleared

On the 19th October 1888, Swanson wrote that 'the police apparently do not suspect the second man,’ [with respect to Sightings of Stride on the night of her murder].

Here is Paul Begg's commentary explaining why Pipeman was likely found and corroborated Schwartz's story.

books.google.com/books?id=6a2-AgAAQBAJ&pg=PT204&lpg=PT204&dq=Jack+the+ripper+pip eman&source=bl&ots=MLjZorbzpQ&sig=TQYIa6cjrU8sCFa5 HJnBGVKCqaU&hl=cs&sa=X&ei=eHJ8VJ3OMqndywPZw4LYDg&v ed=0CFEQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Jack the ripper pipeman&f=false

If the link doesn't go directly to the page its the first quote in the list. Click it and page will open.

Enjoy.

BTW - Paul Begg's book "The Facts" was extremely hard to buy a few years back because it seems to have been in limited supply but the Kindle version is available. I recommend it as it is written in the same style of Sugden's classic and has some nice points like the above.
    Last edited by Batman; 12-01-2014, 07:00 AM.
    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Holy tobacco batman ! that's the quote I was thinking of when LC asked. Thanks

Comment

inference

Hello Batman.

"Here is Paul Begg's commentary explaining why Pipeman was likely found and corroborated Schwartz's story."

An inference? Very well.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

The quote suggests they arrested two men...both BS & pipeman from how I'm interpreting it. Mustn't there be some kind of record that would point towards their identities?

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
          The quote suggests they arrested two men...both BS & pipeman from how I'm interpreting it. Mustn't there be some kind of record that would point towards their identities?
          It seems that the 2nd man, is pipeman. The 1st man is BSman.

BS man was never arrested or found. There is a good chance he is JtR.

Pipeman was found and cleared so I think this is the 2nd man they are talking about.

Comment

Have another look batman....it says they arrested one man on the description this obtained, and a second from another source. I think it means they arrested two men, whether they arrested two men as possible pipeman idk. Even if pipeman was talked to and cleared that doesn't mean he's not the ripper...obviously

Comment

Have another look batman....it says they arrested one man on the description this obtained, and a second from another source. I think it means they arrested two men, whether they arrested two men as possible pipeman idk. Even if pipeman was talked to and cleared that doesn't mean he's not the ripper...obviously
              Is that from Paul Begg's book and link I mentioned?

I think they arrested a few people who they thought could be pipeman and he was one of them and furnished them with what he saw, making him the second source and corroborating Schwartz's account. I think he said it was a couple who appeared to be having a tiff and walked on.

Comment

If these arrests took place, you have to wonder when they took place and why there was no mention of it in Swanson's report.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post

I think they arrested a few people who they thought could be pipeman and he was one of them and furnished them with what he saw, making him the second source and corroborating Schwartz's account. I think he said it was a couple who appeared to be having a tiff and walked on.
                  Now that's fascinating would love to know his identity. Sounds like there is more to the story....why did he flee behind Schwartz only to stop before the railway arch? Did he return? If pipeman was arrested....are there any type of arrest logs for the day he would have been arrested?

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post

The quote makes reference to TWO sources...meaning if pipeman was arrested there was another witness besides Schwartz who have information. Possibly someone from the pub pipeman was in the doorway of?

Comment

It was a beerhouse and should've been long shut...but who knows...

Comment

Pipeman was not at the pub; knifeman was.
                        Best Wishes,
                        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

The quote makes reference to TWO sources...meaning if pipeman was arrested there was another witness besides Schwartz who have information. Possibly someone from the pub pipeman was in the doorway of?
                          I think that's possible because of use of the plural witnesses in reports.

Comment

Shortly before Mr. Bushby left the bench at the close of the day’s business at Worshop-street [sic – Worship Street] Police Court on Saturday a Swede, named Nikaner A. Benelius, 27 years of age, and described as a traveller, living in Great Eastern-street, Shoreditch, was placed in the dock charged with entering a dwelling-house in Buxton-street, Mile End, for an unlawful purpose, and with refusing to give any account of himself. Detective Sergeant Dew attended from Commercial-street station, and stated that the prisoner had been arrested that morning under circumstances which rendered it desirable to have the fullest inquiries made as to him. Prior to the last murder (of Mary Kelly, in Miller’s Court) the prisoner had been arrested by the police and detained in connection with the Berner-street murder; but was eventually released. He had, however, remained about the neighbourhood, lodging in a German lodginghouse, but having, the officer said, no apparent means of subsistence.19

Seems many were arrested as suspects in the stride murder. These POIs who where questioned and released may have been overlooked and make better suspects than most of the fantasy rippers proposed by ripperology authors. Has anyone compiled a list of all those known to have been detained in connection to the case?

Comment

Here's another case of some arrests in the chapman murder:

ARRESTS ON SUSPICION.
                              In the course of Saturday night and Sunday morning the police arrested two men on suspicion of being concerned in the crime. One man, whose appearance left little doubt in the minds of his captors that he was the Hanbury-street murderer, was found by an officer in Buck's-row shortly after 1 o'clock in the morning. The man appeared to be hiding in the street, and when accosted by the officer rushed off at the top of his speed. An alarm was raised, and after a sharp race the man was arrested. He was a villainous-looking fellow, with long hair and shaggy beard, dressed only in a pair of ragged blue serge trousers, and an old dirty shirt. He resisted his captors, but was eventually secured and conveyed to Bethnal Green police-station. It was said at the time that he was carrying a long knife concealed in the sleeve of his shirt, but on examination no weapon was found upon him. He gave an account of himself which was in the first instance considered unsatisfactory, but inquiries were immediately set on foot, and in the result the man, who appears to be a common vagrant, was released from custody. The second arrest was effected in Gloucester-street, where a man, aged 40, having the look of a seafarer, was arrested. It was pretty obvious, however, from the replies which he gave and his general appearance, that he was not the man sought for, and after he had spent some time in Commercial-street station he was set at liberty. It is suggested that the first mentioned individual is the person who has been spoken of by Mrs. Fiddymont. On Sunday the greatest excitement prevailed in Whitechapel, and crowds thronged Hanbury-street and the adjoining thoroughfares.

Comment

Working...
                              X