American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    When Chris says a comic novel, does he mean a graphic novel or a humorous one?
    Well that had me flamboozeled also!
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Well that had me flamboozeled also!
      Don't tell Chris, but I've been googling for hours and still don't have a clue.

There are a handful of London boroughs that could be surnames, but even that clue didn't help.

I think Chris may be running out of postcards...

Comment

There are a handful of London boroughs that could be surnames, but even that clue didn't help.

I was hoping that stay off the Moore’s might have qualified as a boro of London but I don’t think so. HHahah

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Dusty Miller over at JtR Forums got the correct answer.

The comic novel is I'm All Right Jack by Alan Hackney, published in the UK in 1958 and made into a successful film starring Peter Sellers and Ian Carmichael two years later.

Meanwhile the answer I was looking for about the "other" prison in Liverpool other than Walton Prison is Kirkdale Prison, which saw a number of hangings carried out by Calcroft and other famous executioners. Colin B. Leonard on Facebook correctly answered the question and will be receiving a copy of The Treadmill and the Rope: A History of Kirkdale Prison by Tod Sloane (1988).

Cheers

Chris
          Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 10-21-2017, 06:33 PM.
          Christopher T. George
          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
            Dusty Miller over at JtR Forums got the correct answer.

The comic novel is I'm All Right Jack by Alan Hackney, published in the UK in 1958 and made into a successful film starring Peter Sellers and Ian Carmichael two years later.

Meanwhile the answer I was looking for about the "other" prison in Liverpool other than Walton Prison is Kirkdale Prison, which saw a number of hangings carried out by Calcroft and other famous executioners. Colin B. Leonard on Facebook correctly answered the question and will be receiving a copy of The Treadmill and the Rope: A History of Kirkdale Prison by Tod Sloane (1988).

Cheers

Chris
            Dammit! Hahhaah.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

BIG NEWS. About the RipperCon 2018 Convention Hotel!

As previously announced, the talks for RipperCon 2018 will be held in the historic main building of the Maryland Institute of Art. When I emigrated to the United States in 1955, with me having an artistic bent, my parents very kindly paid for me to have classes in this building. I don't remember the classes. But I do remember the ice cream sandwiches that I used to get from the vending machine in the basement. Funny how our memories are remembered all those years later!

In any case, everyone, I have just signed a contract for a block of rooms at the Lord Baltimore Hotel (website www.lordbaltimorehotel.com). This is where the Saturday night banquet will be held. And possibly also the Friday night reception which is free to all attendees -- although I am still looking at a special location for the reception if we don't do it at the hotel. Stay tuned!

The rooms at the Lord Baltimore are $159.00 per night. Here is the information on how to book if you wish to go this route --

Room reservations will be made by attendees on an individual basis. Individuals should contact the Toll Free Reservations at 855.539.1928. In order to qualify for the Group Room Rate, attendees must make their reservations by Wednesday, March 7, 2018, and attendees must ask for the group id 1804RIPPER or RipperCon rate when making their reservation. Any requests for special room arrangements must be made at the time of this reservation. All reservations must be guaranteed by one night’s deposit, a major credit card or by the Group Master Account.In addition, at the time of check-in each guest will be required to present a valid credit card for any incidental charges they may incur during their stay.You may also instruct your attendees or guests to go to the hotel website: and click on reservations and enter the group ID 1804RIPPER with the groups contracted arrival and departure dates and the group rate will populate and they will be added to the group room block.

For more images of the Lord Baltimore Hotel, go to http://www.lordbaltimorehotel.com/gallery-en.html

Pleasing to Ripperologists, no doubt, is that the Lord Baltimore has plenty of bars. That isn't meant to be a commentary on people who study Ripperology. . . Honestly!

Let me know if you are likely to book there or wish to look for cheaper options. I will be glad to advise you as to cheaper accommodations if the Lord Baltimore is too rich for your budget. Feel free to email me at editorctrip@yahoo.com.

Don’t miss out on RipperCon in Baltimore, April 7-8. Only fifty places available! See information at www.RipperCon.com
              Christopher T. George

Comment

The hotel looks nice and a darn good price too. I’d expect to pay $350 plus here
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  The hotel looks nice and a darn good price too. I’d expect to pay $350 plus here
                  Hi GUT

Thanks Gut. Lee Johnson, the sales representative for the Lord Baltimore Hotel approached me some months ago, having heard that RipperCon would be held in Baltimore in April, to suggest that they would be interested in hosting RipperCon. They will also cater the reception we are planning for Friday night. We are planning an all-day bus tour of the city on Monday where we will hit most of the sites we did on last year's tour including the lodging house where Tumblety lived here in 1900-1901 which happens to be only a half mile or so from the hotel, Edgar Allan Poe's grave and house, and the state medical examiners office (where the "Nutshell Studies" are on display) but making it a more extensive tour taking in such sites as Fort McHenry and Green Mount Cemetery where John Wilkes Booth is buried. We will be taking the group to an Inner Harbor restaurant, hopefully the Rusty Scupper, overlooking the harbor, for an on-your-own lunch.

Cheers

Chris

Booth Family Grave, Green Mount Cemetery, Baltimore, by Kenneth Watson

John Wilkes Booth burial documents courtesy Tudor Hall and Bill Emmerich
                  Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 10-21-2017, 11:38 PM.
                  Christopher T. George

Comment

RipperCon 2018 Speaker Announcement!

Carla E. Anderton

"There's Something About Mary: Whitechapel's Darkest Night, November 9, 1888"

Carla E. Anderton has long been fascinated by history and the human condition, particularly English history in the Tudor and Victorian eras. A speaker at the 2011 conference at Drexel University on “Jack the Ripper Through A Wider Lens,” Anderton made the elusive killer the focus of her debut novel, The Heart Absent (New Libri Press, 2013).

Anderton has a Master of Fine Arts in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University and a Bachelor of Arts in English from California University of Pennsylvania. In addition to writing historical fiction, Anderton has published poetry, essays, articles, and plays, and has an extensive background in small press journalism.

Currently, Anderton is the Editor-in-Chief of Pennsylvania Bridges, a regional print and online magazine, and an adjunct professor of English and public speaking at Westmoreland County Community College. She lives in California, PA, with her husband, Eric, and two cats, River and Rozey.

For more information about RipperCon 2018 in Baltimore April 7-8 go to www.RipperCon.com. Only 50 places available! Don't miss out on the only North American conference on Jack the Ripper and True Crime in the 130th anniversary year of the Whitechapel Murders.
                    Christopher T. George

Comment

Due to ill health, Robert Anderson unfortunately has had to back out as a speaker at our April event.

We have determined that Monday, April 9 will be the day for the all-day bus tour of Baltimore to visit, among other places, Westminster Cemetery with Edgar Allan Poe's grave and Green Mount Cemetery with John Wilkes Booth's family grave, Fort McHenry, Tumblety's lodging house on Liberty Street, and the Maryland Medical Examiners Office, and include an on-your-own lunch, probably at the Rusty Scupper Restaurant overlooking Baltimore's famed Inner Harbor.

The Friday evening reception, free to all registrants, will be held at the Lord Baltimore Hotel. We will feature entertainment and a speaker or two.

More speakers to be announced soon. See updated information at www.RipperCon.com. Book soon for the only North American conference on the Jack the Ripper murders in the 130th Anniversary year of the Whitechapel murders. Only 50 places available!

[/url]

Baltimore Inner Harbor by Bill.Photography on Flickr
                      Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 10-29-2017, 09:26 AM.
                      Christopher T. George

Comment

Name the short-lived (I believe) Australian magazine on the Whitechapel murders edited by the late Julian Rosenfeld and a copy of the inaugural issue of this Down Under mag will shortly be winging its way to you. Australians are exempted from entering. Take that, Cobber.

Here's a clue for you all: It isn't a dump from a kangeroo.
                        Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 11-04-2017, 09:19 AM.
                        Christopher T. George

Comment

What is the connection between the War of 1812 between Britain and the U.S. and the Jack the Ripper case? I wrote about it some years ago for Ripperologist magazine. Think water, think letters, knock twice and pray to Jesus. Good luck.

You could win a nice War of 1812 something. Stay tuned.

Reminder: If you have already won loot from RipperCon you can't enter. Sorry, Charlie.
                          Christopher T. George

Comment

As I've got every issue, even have an article in one, I'll let someone else guess this one.
                            dustymiller
                            aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                              As I've got every issue, even have an article in one, I'll let someone else guess this one.
                              Thanks, drstrange.

Reminder, folks, we have two trivia questions that need answering and you too can win swag from RipperCon. Previous winners not eligible.

1. Name the short-lived (I believe) Australian magazine on the Whitechapel murders edited by the late Julian Rosenfeld and a copy of the inaugural issue of this Down Under mag will shortly be winging its way to you. Australians are exempted from entering. Take that, Cobber.

Here's a clue for you all: It isn't a dump from a kangaroo.

2. What is the connection between the War of 1812 between Britain and the U.S. and the Jack the Ripper case? I wrote about it some years ago for Ripperologist magazine. Think water, think letters, knock twice and pray to Jesus. Good luck.

You could win a nice War of 1812 something. Stay tuned.

P.S. drstrange aka Dusty Miller, send me your snail mail address and I will send you the copy of I'm All Right, Jack by Alan Hackney.
                              Christopher T. George

Comment

The Aussie one I know.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X