New Ripperological mag: “The New Independent Review“

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Don,

Well, I look forward to this new magazine and it's proposed articles. I wish you all good luck with the venture.

Hello Chris,

No comment. Off-thread topic.

kindly

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      Hello Maria,
      Whilst the editor and founder who is one and the same, is a Brit, I am of the impression that it is a world-wide publication, actually, with many contributions from overseas. Perhaps you know more than I do? I have received Ripperana since around issue 16.
      kindly
      Phil
      Hello Phil,
      I'm positive I know MUCH-MUCH less than you do. For some reason I was under the impression than Ripperana editor Nick Warren did not encourage contributions from non British citizens (!), but I'm sure I'm positively wrong about this.

Originally posted by Supe View Post
      Quote Chris:
      in hibernation (or whatever the summer equivalent is).

The word you want is “aestivation“.
      Or simply, “summer vacation“! :-)

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
      As for the cat being out of the proverbial bag, it seems (to me) a bit odd to express your announcement like this, unless Maria wasn't authorised to announce it earlier today. But it doesn't sound like that from her big, official welcome to all and sundry in post #1. What a peculiar start, and how typical of this (possibly godless) genre - but best of luck with this, anyway.
      This was not quite what I envisioned as the official announcement, but I am at fault and not Maria.
      I sure hope I was “authorized“, still, I'm afraid it's all my own fault. I was really hesitant before starting a thread about it, then my being happy about Don's new mag got over me. I was expecting off-colour comments, yet the one thing I wasn't quite expecting was the Abberconway version!
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

[QUOTE=m_w_r;187345]Hi Phil,

I'm sure he's too modest to say so himself, but even Trevor must be aware that he isn't "the god of the genre" quite yet.

I dont profess to be there to many others on here way ahead of me for me to even come close.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
          Hello Chris,

No comment. Off-thread topic.

kindly

Phil
          Yes, of course your comments were off-topic, but as they had been made I wanted to set the record straight - again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
            and if I'm hunting anything young man it's only a dragon I'll never catch .... seriously I'm not here to FIND anything or get my share of whatever "fame" this represents to some. I'm only enjoying myself, and i'm enjoying other people's work... and thought I would be enjoying a "nightmare-free" environnement after 7 years "nightmaring" with bands, labels and other crap I thought this would be a simple, humble and friendly environnement, guess what? you're never too old for desillusion.
            you talk about expenses that researches cost that should come into consideration with one's work? Nobody asks anybody to spend cash into their researches, then if you do it, it's because you wanted it too. I spend several hundreds at least every 2 months if not one a month to travel to London, and guess what? if I haven't learned anything new, if I still haven't managed to get the pictures I wanted, if I didn't manage to get to whatever place in time to see wht I wanted to see or whatever else, well I enjoyed it anyway so I'm not gonna bitch out like "oooh I spent so much cash on that stuff and nobody gives a flying **** about it", because it shouldn't be the purpose. Now if you'll excuse me... there's a big dragon fleeing...
            This issue is not about the cash spent by anyone its about my responce to the poster who suggested that the cartel who have control over these documents spent a lot of time and caused themselves great distress etc etc in obtaining these now secret documents. I was merely pointing out that would not have been the case and clearly explained why.

And I noticce not one of them has bothered to respond or give any explanation doesnt that say it all.

You yourself i belive said you came here to learn all you could about the case. By the actions of these few you cannot do that so how can you defend them when they are depriving you of fulfiling your aim here.

But like i said in a previous post I am not bothered now about having sight of these and whatever if anyhting they may contain which we dont know about is academic now.

Now I have to go as well as trying to find a serial killer I have a dragon to slay
            Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 08-17-2011, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
              This issue is not about the cash spent by anyone its about my responce to the poster who suggested that the cartel who have control over these documents spent a lot of time and caused themselves great distress etc etc in obtaining these now secret documents. I was merely pointing out that would not have been the case and clearly explained why.

And I noticce not one of them has bothered to respond or give any explanation doesnt that say it all.

You yourself i belive said you came here to learn all you could about the case. By the actions of these few you cannot do that so how can you defend them when they are depriving you of fulfiling your aim here.

The infos will come out someday anyway, and i'm not defending them, but I don't think we'll ever know who the man was. so that's one more reason not to behave like some people behave.

But like i said in a previous post I am not bothered now about having sight of these and whatever if anyhting they may contain which we dont know about is academic now.

Now I have to go as well as trying to find a serial killer I have a dragon to slay
              Well... catching The Ripper and catching the dragon is a bit the same thing... He keeps cheeking you, but you never catch him, and it has the same effect of addiction

Comment

At least Phil Carter is not only a gentleman but he can read. Treveor, Sister Hyde -- are you not aware you have hijacked a thread? Or don't you care?

Don.
                "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

At least Phil Carter is not only a gentleman but he can read. Treveor, Sister Hyde -- are you not aware you have hijacked a thread? Or don't you care?

Don.
                  No, I just don't understand why some people think that researchers owe them to report absolutely everything, to me it would almost be like having a document you just found and someone pulling it from yours hands saying "let me see!", and ther's always such a fuss about everything. And why some people seem to think people do researches only to keep them secret forever. and I get attacked on that. honestly I don't know what I said so wrong in the first place to get attacked on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
                    Well... catching The Ripper and catching the dragon is a bit the same thing... He keeps cheeking you, but you never catch him, and it has the same effect of addiction
                    I realise now neither of them exist both are nothing more than a myth.

Comment

Sister Hyde,

This thread started out as the announcement of a new magazine in the field, the New independent Review. The announcement may have been a bit preemptory, but no matter, it was about the magazine.

Then, that prize boor Trevor Marriott, came barging in with a non-sequitor to attempt to advance his personal agenda about seeing the Aberconway version of the Macnaghten memoranda--and even after polite hints from others you and he continue to argue about this digression. It has nothing to do with what you think on the subject or what Trevor does--it doesn't belong here.

Don.
                      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

I'm afraid “preemptory“'s my middle name, but I'll do my best to be more restrained in the future. Promised. ;-)
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

Well well.....what an inspired start for the newest mag in the field! Handbags at dawn before the release date for the first issue is even announced.....

Should be fantastic and new contibutors to the field, be they in the form of individuals or periodicals, should be encouraged, not discouraged.

Cheers,
                          Adam.

Comment

Sister Hyde,

This thread started out as the announcement of a new magazine in the field, the New independent Review. The announcement may have been a bit preemptory, but no matter, it was about the magazine.

Then, that prize boor Trevor Marriott, came barging in with a non-sequitor to attempt to advance his personal agenda about seeing the Aberconway version of the Macnaghten memoranda--and even after polite hints from others you and he continue to argue about this digression. It has nothing to do with what you think on the subject or what Trevor does--it doesn't belong here.

Don.
                            Well that's pretty much the reason why I checked Maria's thread in the first place. such an aanouncement, it was pretty obvious I had to check, but I wasn't aware that the thread was about "Trevor Marriott's personal score-settlements with ripperologists", else I wouldn't have checked the thread in the first place, cause it's not the first time he brings it up on threads, now yes I have a bad temper but I was only telling him neutrally and calmly that NO no one owe him anything. This is blowing my calm; so I won't check that thread anymore...... but I'll still check the periodical!!!!!

Comment

I am excited about reading the very first issue, and thank you for doing this Don!

Sincerely,

Mike
                              The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                              http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Hi all,

Just trying to play a little catch up. I was under the impression that the Examiner is dead in the water, though hopefully that won't always be the case. As for the new journal, Don Souden is obviously one of the most experienced Ripper mag editors out there, and certainly one of the most respected. As with every new journal (the resurrected Ripper Notes, Examiner), the first NIR will have a piece by yours truly, in this case it's 'Bachert In Berner Street', which I had originally intended for Examiner. And word is that we'll be treated to a new offering from Jonathan Hainsworth, which for me would be worth the price of purchase by itself. I don't know what else will be in it, but I'm sure at least most of it won't suck.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X