Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ripperological mag: “The New Independent Review“

Hello all.
    Welcome to a new Ripperological mag, The New Independent Review, by editor extraordinaire Don Souden, to appear in about a month.
    http://newindependentreview.com/
    Best regards,
    Maria

Originally posted by mariab View Post
    Hello all.
    Welcome to a new Ripperological mag, The New Independent Review, by editor extraordinaire Don Souden, to appear in about a month.
    http://newindependentreview.com/
    I begin to wonder whether we're going to have more Ripper periodicals than there is good material to put in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      I begin to wonder whether we're going to have more Ripper periodicals than there is good material to put in them.
      An ideal opportunity for Messrs Begg, Skinner and others to publish The Aberconway Version of The MM in "Full" and also a copy of Dr Davies forensic handwriting examination report on the Marginalia in "Full"

Comment

To Chris Phillips:
        I know what you mean, but since so many periodicals have died on us...
        (see Ripper Notes, the Examiner). I think there ought to be 2 different main periodicals in every field. Competition lives up the field.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
          An ideal opportunity for Messrs Begg, Skinner and others to publish The Aberconway Version of The MM in "Full" and also a copy of Dr Davies forensic handwriting examination report on the Marginalia in "Full"
          That should happen in Ripperologist then, he he.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

To Chris Phillips:
            I know what you mean, but since so many periodicals have died on us...
            (see Ripper Notes, the Examiner). I think there ought to be 2 different main periodicals in every field. Competition lives up the field.
            Has the Examiner actually died? I thought it was meant to be in hibernation (or whatever the summer equivalent is).

Comment

Ripperologist provides the opportunity to do that already. Trevor, why do you think other researchers have to make their material available to you?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                Ripperologist provides the opportunity to do that already. Trevor, why do you think other researchers have to make their material available to you?
                Paul
                I dont think that at all, my request for the publication of these documents has always related to and for the benefit of all ripperologists whether they be on casebook,JTR forums,or just interested parties all over the world and not just me personally as you infer.

The questions I ask could easily be asked by anyone else on here or wherever. I simply ask them as my long and protacted re investiagtion of the case is still ongoing and having sight of them would tie up some loose ends.

You are quite right you and any of the others within your group have the right to keep your research to yoursleves. However when serious and valid questions are asked about some of the documents which form part of this mystery and some of those answers may lie within your research documents I would have thought you and the others within your group would be only to happy to publish copies of documents to allay all the concerns there are which now surround some of them.

You and the other authors have not helped your cause, and in particular I refer to the Aberconway version of The MM. You are aware that I contacted Michael Mclaren with a view to obtaining a copy direct from him. He replied stating that he had asked Keith Skinner to publish it in its entirety and for all to see on the world wide web. To date that has not been done. I and many others have to ask why his instructions have not been carried out.

Everyone should be working togther. I have shared lots of material with the community that I could have kept for myself. I have also spent a fortune out of my own pocket in seeking the release of the registers and ledgers, and if my appeal is allowed even more money out of my own pocket wil be spent.

I really do think its time for you and your fellow authors to reconsider your stance on witholding these documents back. The publication of them would as I previously stated benefit the ripper community worldwide.

I am sure you remember "Songs of Praise" where everyone used to sing from the same songsheets

Comment

Paul

You are quite right you and any of the others within your group have the right to keep your research to yoursleves. However when serious and valid questions are asked about some of the documents which form part of this mystery and some of those answers may lie within your research documents I would have thought you and the others within your group would be only to happy to publish copies of documents to allay all the concerns there are which now surround some of them.
                  Trevor,

I'm a young dumb thing with plenty of ideas (often very loopy yes but still I have some), a ragging passion for the case and a will to dig it even more than it as already been done if possible. and when I discovered the "ripperologists" community and sites like casebook, I did think this way. I only needed to a couple of months (now i'm using a euphemism) to notice that ANY new information, every new find, every new opinion always has to become a point of pointless arguments, sour reflections and never-ending kindergarten quarrels, and, surprisingly deceitfull behaviours (sometimes even backstabbings), sometimes undeserved insults or lynching, and so on.... sometimes it's almost like ripperology has it's own "as the world turns" serie... so I understand your view on the matter, I understand that you would love everyone working hand in hand, everyone publishing their researches for others, but you can't bash people for not wanting their work to turn into another "eyes out-scratching" row matter, because just like you they probably invested a lot personally and financially for all this. I have to say, the "benefit" of all ripperologists is often cut to size by the ripperologists themselves. Thus why share?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    I know that Ripper Notes and Ripperoo are gone. I don't know about the Examiner or The Whitechapel Society Journal but Ripperologist and Ripperana are still here so this will make at least three. We have had three before.
                    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

The Whitechapel Society Journal is still on. I don't know how many people subscribe to Ripperana, which is starkly British-oriented. Examiner's quite dead, though who knows if it might get resuscitated one day.
                      I see The New Independent Review as an alternative to Ripper Notes and Examiner, though only in content and form (NOT in the politics, please!). Judging by the editor, The New Independent Review can only turn out into a great mag, versatile and with a rich content.
                      Let's hope that it stays on for a while in this terrible economy... (And by the way, it appears that there'll be subscribtions.)
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

I don't know how many people subscribe to Ripperana, which is starkly British-oriented.
                        Hello Maria,

Whilst the editor and founder who is one and the same, is a Brit, I am of the impression that it is a world-wide publication, actually, with many contributions from overseas. Perhaps you know more than I do? I have received Ripperana since around issue 16.

kindly

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                        Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
                          Trevor,

I'm a young dumb thing with plenty of ideas (often very loopy yes but still I have some), a ragging passion for the case and a will to dig it even more than it as already been done if possible. and when I discovered the "ripperologists" community and sites like casebook, I did think this way. I only needed to a couple of months (now i'm using a euphemism) to notice that ANY new information, every new find, every new opinion always has to become a point of pointless arguments, sour reflections and never-ending kindergarten quarrels, and, surprisingly deceitfull behaviours (sometimes even backstabbings), sometimes undeserved insults or lynching, and so on.... sometimes it's almost like ripperology has it's own "as the world turns" serie... so I understand your view on the matter, I understand that you would love everyone working hand in hand, everyone publishing their researches for others, but you can't bash people for not wanting their work to turn into another "eyes out-scratching" row matter, because just like you they probably invested a lot personally and financially for all this. I have to say, the "benefit" of all ripperologists is often cut to size by the ripperologists themselves. Thus why share?
                          Shouldnt the aim be for everyone to work together for a common purpose and not all separate agendas.

Comment

Shouldnt the aim be for everyone to work together for a common purpose and not all separate agendas.
                            Yes Trevor, it SHOULD be, you're absolutely right there. but since some people can't prevent themselves from behaving like arses, then it's not strange that the people who would have some find to share or discuss start to keep the fruit of their sweat and headaches for themselves.

Comment

Chris,

in hibernation (or whatever the summer equivalent is).

The word you want is aestivation.

Don.
                              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Working...
                              X